Gransnet forums

Health

Shortage of medicines all over Europe - a big concern

(71 Posts)
Fleurpepper Thu 26-Jan-23 19:28:26

due to many factors ('B') - this will have an impact on the UK as a knock-on effect. Sadly, as Sterling is so low in value, and with all the problems with imports/red tape/transport, etc- we have to brace ourselves.

imaround Fri 27-Jan-23 01:33:29

It is difficult to get some medicines in the US as well. In my area right now, Children's Tylenol or Motrin is non existent. Right in the middle of cold and flu season.

fiorentina51 Fri 27-Jan-23 03:21:23

My cousin in New Zealand mentioned they have the same problem over there too.

MawtheMerrier Fri 27-Jan-23 08:39:01

Fleurpepper

Of course, many factors come into play. Some factors are relevant to all countries, some are UK specific - very low Sterling value, import red tape and transport issues, being shut out of European Agency, etc.

Keep trying FP grin

MerylStreep Fri 27-Jan-23 08:52:52

many factors come into play
From the snippets I’m reading here and my own searches these
many factors are accurring all around the world.

MawtheMerrier Fri 27-Jan-23 09:00:01

And as I see it the one (maybe 2) common factor(s) worldwide are Covid and the global economic crisis.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 27-Jan-23 09:32:00

MawtheMerrier

And as I see it the one (maybe 2) common factor(s) worldwide are Covid and the global economic crisis.

Exactly

My DD and I both had ventolin inhalers on our prescriptions last week, both were available at local pharmacy.

There were huge queues of container ships waiting to be unloaded on West Coast America and China which logically leads to these containers not being available for reloading. China scaling down its Covid restrictions should ease their queues, haven’t t heard much more about the USA ones.

imaround Fri 27-Jan-23 18:40:42

It ends up being rather random, rhe things on short supply in the US. Oftentimes unexpected.

My oldest had an accident back on early September and we still do not have her car back from the repair shop. Been waiting 3 months for parts.

Then other things are expected to be shortages and end up not being, like candy over the holidays.

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 18:53:25

MawtheMerrier

You are certainly trying very hard - yes, there are worldwide issues, which are much worse for the UK. the more difficulties elsewhere, the more competition- For price, and ease of distribution, etc.

Denial will not help at all.

Casdon Fri 27-Jan-23 19:06:47

Fleurpepper

MawtheMerrier

You are certainly trying very hard - yes, there are worldwide issues, which are much worse for the UK. the more difficulties elsewhere, the more competition- For price, and ease of distribution, etc.

Denial will not help at all.

I know I’m one of the most irritating people on Gransnet regarding the need to evidence assertions Fleurpepper, but I’m unapologetic. Share your sources of information that it’s ‘much worse for the UK’ please, links are always really helpful to we nerds who never believe what people say unless we’ve checked it out for ourselves?

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 19:14:28

The UK has many problems other EU countries do not have. No longer part of the massive and influential European Medicines Agency, that are able to negotiate en masse. The UK has problems with red tape and import and exports via Europe, as well as transport issues. All directly linked to Brexit.

The UK also has issues with the tanking pound, which has lost so much value due to exchange rate. The UK has to pay much more than other countries just due to low Sterling value.

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 19:18:19

Plenty of info out there, this article explains it very well

www.thenational.scot/news/23252117.brexit-worsened-uk-medicine-shortages-nhs-budget-pressures/

Callistemon21 Fri 27-Jan-23 19:19:35

Denial will not help at all

I can't see how worrying on Gransnet can possibly help either.

Casdon Fri 27-Jan-23 19:30:09

Fleurpepper

The UK has many problems other EU countries do not have. No longer part of the massive and influential European Medicines Agency, that are able to negotiate en masse. The UK has problems with red tape and import and exports via Europe, as well as transport issues. All directly linked to Brexit.

The UK also has issues with the tanking pound, which has lost so much value due to exchange rate. The UK has to pay much more than other countries just due to low Sterling value.

That article states what we already know though Fleurpepper, it doesn’t say that the situation is ‘much worse’ in the UK, it acknowledges that many countries are having similar issues. I’m not defending Brexit, it was a disaster, and will have a definite impact on supply - but you are using hyperbole which is not backed up by evidence to describe the reality of the situation.

Urmstongran Fri 27-Jan-23 19:31:20

MawtheMerrier

Is it not possible that Covid, the numbers of sufferers needing medication, the pressures on drug and vaccine manufacturers and the problems of the global economy might also be playing a part?

Aw don’t let common sense get in the way of a good ‘Brexit bashing’ Maw. Poor UK etc. etc.
😁

Urmstongran Fri 27-Jan-23 19:35:16

No longer part of the massive and influential European Medicines Agency, that are able to negotiate en masse

Didn’t do much good in sourcing adequate supplies of the Covid vaccine in the early days though did it Fleurpepper? I thought at the time how nimble and decisive one country could be! I was really proud of Kate Bingham.

Remember Ursula vd Leyen panicking and triggering Article ‘whatever’ (for a few hours)?

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 19:35:20

Casdon

Fleurpepper

That article states what we already know though Fleurpepper, it doesn’t say that the situation is ‘much worse’ in the UK, it acknowledges that many countries are having similar issues. I’m not defending Brexit, it was a disaster, and will have a definite impact on supply - but you are using hyperbole which is not backed up by evidence to describe the reality of the situation.

Are you sure you have read the article???

Casdon Fri 27-Jan-23 19:36:50

Fleurpepper

Casdon

Fleurpepper

No, I’m a numpty. I can’t read.

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 19:37:08

Urmstongran

^No longer part of the massive and influential European Medicines Agency, that are able to negotiate en masse^

Didn’t do much good in sourcing adequate supplies of the Covid vaccine in the early days though did it Fleurpepper? I thought at the time how nimble and decisive one country could be! I was really proud of Kate Bingham.

Remember Ursula vd Leyen panicking and triggering Article ‘whatever’ (for a few hours)?

Not that old chestnut again!

The UK had to pay massively over the top to get early supply- and the EU countries caught up very quickly afterwards at much much lower cost.

MerylStreep Fri 27-Jan-23 19:40:54

Fleurpepper
I think I’ll file this with your other predictions.
The ferries won’t sail.
The planes won’t fly.
Remember those?

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 19:41:37

So you are prepared to deny

a) that low sterling means UK has to pay much higher prices

b) that red tape issues with imports are not significant

c) that transport issues/shortages of drivers, are not an issue added to above

d) that not being part of the huge Medicines Agency does not have an effect on negotiating contracts and prices

e) and that as there are shortages all over the world- those who can pay higher prices, transport freely and easily without friction, and part of a huge Agency covering so many countries working together

will not have an effect, on UK in particular.

Your prerogative, of course.

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 19:44:06

Applicable too in a different way to staff, be they doctors, nurses, carers ...

(and all the other non NHS linked professions).

Callistemon21 Fri 27-Jan-23 19:46:32

Casdon

Fleurpepper

Casdon

Fleurpepper

No, I’m a numpty. I can’t read.

😂😂😂
I can only rite.

Here's one I rote earlier.

It's a worldwide problem and it's not new.

Callistemon21 Fri 27-Jan-23 19:49:10

Fleurpepper

You must be so relieved - or do you live here now?

In which case I'd ask why would you? Just why?

Fleurpepper Fri 27-Jan-23 19:53:14

From the BMJ a couple of months ago

''The report, Health and Brexit: Six Years On,1 said that Brexit had added “fuel to the fire” of severe challenges facing the UK’s health and social care services, including problems with the supply of drugs and medical devices. Although other countries had also seen shortages, they have been particularly prolonged in the UK, most likely because of the falling value of sterling and trade barriers associated with Brexit.''

Casdon Fri 27-Jan-23 19:53:34

The problem is Fleurpepper that you can’t resist sensationalising.

Yes, there are worldwide drug supply issues, yes, it’s a disadvantage that the UK is no longer in the EU, yes our economy is in a mess. But we aren’t bankrupt, and people know what to do - there’s no need for hysteria or frightening people with half cocked information.

There are competent professionals who are doing everything they can to maintain supplies and to highlight the deficits in planning and contracting with the government. You need to highlight the actions as well as the problems in a balanced discussion.

pharmaceutical-journal.com/article/feature/fixing-the-uks-medicines-shortage-crisis