Gransnet forums

Health

CBD oil for osteoarthritis pain

(52 Posts)
greenmossgiel Sun 29-Jan-23 08:49:36

Has anyone used this and found it helpful? My knees give a lot of pain and I’ve been prescribed Tramadol, which does help, but I don’t like taking. Needs must at the moment though.

Georgesgran Wed 22-Nov-23 13:13:55

Reported.

JollyKlug Wed 22-Nov-23 12:49:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

SachaMac Fri 03-Feb-23 22:59:20

Dog Oil is a kind of Emollient you rub into your joints FannyCornforth I’ve not tried it yet but am prepared to give it a go even though it sounds like something you’d get from a vets. I think it was originally used on racing greyhounds to keep them supple.

On Omeprazole I was told by a consultant a few years ago to make sure I continue to take it to protect my stomach & oesophagus, the acid reflux was also damaging my vocal cords. I do worry about using it long term after reading some of the scare stories but then my mother who is in her late 80’s has been on it for over 20 years and is fine.

Quokka Fri 03-Feb-23 12:35:48

Tried various CBD ointments and liquids and gummies.

Made no difference - well wouldn’t expect it to as all the active ingredients removed.

Nightsky2 Fri 03-Feb-23 10:57:31

Wyllow3

I actually got my latest lot on Amazon, as follows

Natures's Best

High Potency Turmeric
20.000mg
(as 500mg of extract)

Standardised at 95% Curcuminoids

its the 20.000mg as 500mg of extract you need to look for.

The herbalists brand was called Lamberts same specs

Yes its expensive but worth it.

Thanks Wallow3.

ExperiencedNotOld Fri 03-Feb-23 08:52:20

greenmossgiel

*ExperiencedNotOld*, I bought some of this, too. It seemed to work a bit, so when the little sample bottle was running out, I bought a bigger bottle. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem to work anymore. I’d tried the wee sachets of turmeric powder that came with the trial package....(gave me indigestion 🙄).
I’m going to give the oil another go. It has a lovely scent so at least my knees will smell nice.

I can’t tolerate turmeric taken orally in any form, as it makes me feel very sickly. However my husband takes it everyday. There’s no universal remedy it seems!

Madgran77 Fri 03-Feb-23 07:25:48

Just wondering if any in here may like to consider the Thuasne Action Reliever Knee Support. It has been approved for prescription by NICE but only available if you local Healyh Authority has agreed to local area prescription (mine hasnt) It is a very sophisticated knee support based on stopping bones moving and touching, as opposed to muscle support. I bought mine, with £50.00 off for VAT relief, as diagnosed with severe knee osteoarthritis, plus the company does special offers for first time buys. It cost me £230 three months ago. It has enabled me to start walking more easily for longer distances, and generally eases movement when out and about. It took a bit of time to get the hang of fitting it, not too tight, just snug, but has been worth every penny for me. Like others I have always walked a lot so this is keeping life a little more normal , as best as can!

AussieGran59 Fri 03-Feb-23 06:49:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FannyCornforth Fri 03-Feb-23 06:46:58

You can buy it over the counter here too. I’ve bought it in the past from Asda

FannyCornforth Fri 03-Feb-23 06:45:37

The NHS website says that ‘long term use may slightly increase the risk of developing stomach cancer’, but that more trials are needed

FannyCornforth Fri 03-Feb-23 06:40:39

This short article says that some studies say that it doubles the risk of gastric cancer; but other reports have said that it cuts one’s chances of gastric cancers
www.drugs.com/medical-answers/omeprazole-cancer-3565253/

That statistic is just wrong.

FannyCornforth Fri 03-Feb-23 06:37:09

And like your dog, I’m on tramadol!

FannyCornforth Fri 03-Feb-23 06:36:29

Maya my husband and I are both on it too. I don’t think that statistic can be right

Maya1 Fri 03-Feb-23 06:15:58

That's a bit worrying about Omeprazole, I take it for my Barretts oesophagus. I will contact my doctors about it this.

Our dog takes tramadol, and it's been a godsend for him and his pain. No side effects. He has been on it for 3 months.

FannyCornforth Fri 03-Feb-23 06:05:17

Catterygirl, so 3 in 100 people taking Omeprazole get stomach cancer? That can’t be right, surely. Wouldn’t it be banned?

Sachamac what is dog oil?

Catterygirl Fri 03-Feb-23 01:25:34

Omeprazole stops indigestion but surgery just stopped it for me and husband. Reason? 3% risk of stomach cancer. It’s sold in most European countries over the counter for about £2.

SachaMac Thu 02-Feb-23 23:49:22

I tried high quality CBD jellies from Holland & Barrett, I got two months supply when they were on a BOGOHP offer, still expensive. I felt like I had a little more energy in a morning but also had waves of nausea on them. My pain levels were probably about the same. I haven’t re-ordered them but continue to take prescription drugs Gabapentin & codeine for pain. I wish I could find something that would ease the awful stiffness in my muscles and joints. A lady I see when out walking my dog swears by rubbing dog oil into her joints. I’d never heard if it and don’t know if it contains any active ingredients but I might try that. I also take a supplement which is a combo of Vit D, Zinc and Magnesium, I think they help a little.

Wyllow3 Thu 02-Feb-23 22:07:38

Thank you, looked it up

www.medicinenet.com/who_should_not_use_turmeric/article.htm

Floradora9 Thu 02-Feb-23 21:37:08

Please please nobody take high doses of turmeric before looking it up on the internet. There are lots of people who should never tke in in anything more than in food . I am diabetic and it is not for me . A relative was really quite ill and it was thought his intake of turmeric could be to blame.

Wyllow3 Thu 02-Feb-23 21:24:39

MerylStreep

My Dr recommends ( if you can) to use the fresh Turmeric root.

Sounds interesting, I wouldn't know "how much".

Wyllow3 Thu 02-Feb-23 21:22:28

RH arthritis is very different form osteoarthritis and I wouldn't recommend turmeric for it, I dont know about topical relief.

chris8888 Thu 02-Feb-23 21:18:18

I have RH arthritis it took months to be diagnosed and I was on tramadol too. Since seeing a consultant who put me on steriods for 3 months it has settled a little. The doctor told me to ignore creams and oils and only used prescribed medication for pain.

NanKate Thu 02-Feb-23 21:01:57

I have used CBD drops to help with my sleep and there was some improvement and then I think my body got used to it and it didn’t work anymore.

Having said that I also bought a pot of CBD ointment for my aching wrist which does seem to lessen the pain and I use it from time to time.

greenmossgiel Thu 02-Feb-23 20:29:43

ExperiencedNotOld, I bought some of this, too. It seemed to work a bit, so when the little sample bottle was running out, I bought a bigger bottle. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem to work anymore. I’d tried the wee sachets of turmeric powder that came with the trial package....(gave me indigestion 🙄).
I’m going to give the oil another go. It has a lovely scent so at least my knees will smell nice.

Sarah75 Thu 02-Feb-23 19:40:11

I find Flexiseq Max gel helps my achey knees