Gransnet forums

Health

Pneumonia injection - what do people think?

(111 Posts)
DaisyL Thu 23-Mar-23 11:53:15

Has anyone had the pneumonia injection? My GP surgery has just rung and offered one to me and I have told the I'm going to think about it - seem to have had so many jabs recently.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 28-Mar-23 23:56:26

It is supposed to be one shot for life. I accepted the offer of one about 15 years ago because of my asthma, which often triggers other respiratory symptoms. It hasn't made those crises go away but they are less severe than they once were.

Nannagarra Tue 28-Mar-23 22:09:19

I’ve had it and didn’t think twice.

Greyduster Tue 28-Mar-23 20:44:52

Both DH and I had it when it was offered. Neither of us had any side effects. He had had pneumonia before, in his fifties. He was a fit man but it laid him dreadfully low. Anything that will lessen the effects of it has to be to your advantage.

Elegran Tue 28-Mar-23 19:44:56

M0nica

The pneu jab does not protect you from all kinds of pneumonia, only pneumonia caused by streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.

It does not protect you from: bacterial pneumonia, viral pneumonia, mycoplasma pneumonia or fungal pneumonia.

Pneumonia used to called "The old man's friend" but in helpfully assisting the old off this mortal coil (killing about 1 in 20 of those who get it), it can cause some painful and distressing conditions. "Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria is the commonest cause of community acquired pneumonia, accounting for up to 70% of cases in hospital. Pneumococcal pneumonia is associated with bacteraemia more frequently than other bacterial pneumonias4 and mortality from bacteraemic pneumococcal pneumonia during the first few days of hospitalisation has changed little since the pre-antibiotic era.5 ,6 There is also evidence, from the UK and other countries, that the number of cases of pneumococcal bacteraemia is rising." thorax.bmj.com/content/54/10/929

Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria can cause infections ranging from ear and sinus infections to pneumonia and bloodstream infections.

Older adults with pneumococcal pneumonia may experience confusion or low alertness, rather than the more common symptoms.

Complications of pneumococcal pneumonia include:

Empyema (infection around the lungs and in the chest cavity)
Pericarditis (inflammation of the outer lining of the heart)
Endobronchial obstruction (blockage of the airway that allows air into the lungs), with atelectasis (collapse within the lungs) and abscess (collection of pus) in the lungs

Pneumococcal pneumonia kills about 1 in 20 who get it.

Complications include _
Meningitis - About 1 in 12 children and 1 in 6 older adults who get pneumococcal meningitis dies of the infection. Those who survive may have long-term problems, such as hearing loss or developmental delay.
Bacteremia (a blood infection) - About 1 in 30 children with pneumococcal bacteremia die of it. Pneumococcal bacteremia kills about 1 in 8 adults who get it. For those who survive, pneumococcal bacteremia can lead to loss of limb(s).

Sepsis - Complications of sepsis include kidney failure and damage to the brain, lungs, or heart.

www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/pneumococcal-infections

humptydumpty Tue 28-Mar-23 18:46:33

I had it last year with no problems; I believe it's only needed once in a lifetime.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 28-Mar-23 18:13:44

M0nica, several of us have pointed out the limitations of the pneumococcus jab, but apparently without success!

M0nica Tue 28-Mar-23 18:00:11

The pneu jab does not protect you from all kinds of pneumonia, only pneumonia caused by streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria.

It does not protect you from: bacterial pneumonia, viral pneumonia, mycoplasma pneumonia or fungal pneumonia.

Iam64 Tue 28-Mar-23 08:51:10

Movie, I share that belief. My husband had the pneumonia injection but still developed the disease after a catastrophic stroke. 💙

Mosie Tue 28-Mar-23 08:17:39

I agree with the concept that pneumonia is the old man’s friend. I’ll skip it but will enquire about the shingles jab.

janeyjane Mon 27-Mar-23 18:36:49

The pneumonia vaccine a protection against viral pneumonia (23 different strains). It is a one off vaccination for the majority of people.

JackyB Sun 26-Mar-23 11:27:13

When I think of all the people I have known who went into hospital for one thing, and caught pneumonia or something similar whilst there and died from it, I would also take it if offered.

Had my second shingles jab last week and although I rarely react to vaccinations, including the first shingles jab, this time I was fluey and shivery for the rest of the day and night. I got over it easily and have since discovered that my youngest DGS had the same symptoms (without having been vaccinated) so maybe it was something going round.

sazz1 Sat 25-Mar-23 22:08:23

I had the pneumonia vaccine with a flu vaccine years ago as I have a lung condition. No reaction at all to either.
My dad died of pneumonia so when I saw my GP next I asked if it wasn't very effective as I was sure he'd had the vaccine. My GP said its like the flu jab and only protects against a few strains and there are many different strains. It's definitely worth having though incase you get a strain it's effective against.

HiMay Sat 25-Mar-23 19:12:02

I’ve had pneumonia twice, so was very grateful to have the jab. My dad died of pneumonia in the days when there were no vaccines.

Greyjoy1953 Sat 25-Mar-23 19:08:15

I think it’s well worth having because pneumonia is one of the biggest killers in older folk. I’ve also had the shingles jab now. Whatever jab I’m offered I take and I get my mum who is 88 to have them all too.

glammagran Sat 25-Mar-23 17:07:50

I had it last year and didn’t have any reaction at all. Unlike my 3rd Moderna vaccine which made me ill for a fortnight. Getting Covid was nothing like as bad.

Jaxjacky Sat 25-Mar-23 16:49:15

You’ve reminded me to book mine in DaisyL thank you.

Saetana Sat 25-Mar-23 16:42:34

My late husband had one three years ago at the same time as his flu jab, one in each arm - he was only early 50s but vulnerable due to COPD. No ill effects at all other than a slightly aching arm.

Elegran Sat 25-Mar-23 16:30:09

Perhaps some of her higher antibody level ws due to her previous Covid vaccination, activated by getting Covid later?

Dixieblue Sat 25-Mar-23 16:25:16

I’m with you on the covid jabs. Both myself and my daughter had the covid vaccine but because of treatment she’d had for myasthenia Gravis, they didn’t work for her. We only know this because we both were part of the ONS covid study, testing monthly and having antibody tests and she had no antibodies against covid. However we both ended up with covid a few months into the study. Following that, she tested positive for antibodies at a higher level as did I.
So I’m convinced the vaccine isn’t necessary for everyone.
I’ll have the pneumonia vaccine when offered and continue to have the annual flu jab.

Twig14 Sat 25-Mar-23 15:43:37

I had the injection and extremely glad I did as I have just ended up in hospital with breathing problems following bad dose of Covid. Consultant told me he had to look for worse case scenario Pneumonia. Chest X Ray n blood test followed. Diagnosed with long Covid but thankfully not pneumonia.

4allweknow Sat 25-Mar-23 15:41:48

No pneumonia vaccination offered so far but I woukd have it. Just recovering from shingles Had it in 2005, vaccination, and yet again. Very painful in facial nerves this time. Back didn't seem nearly so painful.

Vintagenonna Sat 25-Mar-23 15:33:29

Do take it, DaisyL.

I was banged up in an isolation cubicle having wonderful treatment for a very odd illness that turned out to be atypical pneumonia (and other nasties) on the day I was due to have my pneumonia jab.

It took months to get back to work and three years for the weight to creep back back on. Going from a healthy size 12 to size 8 isn't all good news.

Good luck.

Frankie51 Sat 25-Mar-23 14:47:53

I had no side effects whatsoever , and I often react strongly to injections. It won't harm to have it just in case.

Saggi Sat 25-Mar-23 14:40:26

….also , I’ve had pneumonia and it’s so much worse than Covid …and I’ve had that three times!

Saggi Sat 25-Mar-23 14:39:20

I had the jab at 72 , along with the flu jab ….the doctor ( a young man) said to me
“There you go… you won’t need that again ,..it’ll last 20 years”
So I said I’d see him when I was 92 then. He smiled and said he hoped he would. As all the women In my family live into their 90’s , I’m in with a good chance!!