Gransnet forums

Health

Over the hill at 60? Why am I falling apart so soon?

(38 Posts)
Feelingblue10 Fri 24-Mar-23 16:08:51

Hello all. Interested to know if any other 60yo women have much wrong with them? When I turned 60 last year, I began to have what I feel is rather a lot of things 'go wrong'. Not life threatening, no, but annoying nonetheless. Knee cartiledge operation and removal, blocked eustacian tube leading to one deaf ear, permanent eye twitch, frequent painful wrist spasms (advised against surgery "it won't work"), and what really annoys me is that I work hard to be healthy, I watch my weight, I don't smoke, don't drink much, I'm veggie, so why am I suddenly falling to bits? Just wondering what niggles other women have to put up with. Please don't say how lucky I am to not have cancer or MND or dementia, I do realise that, and am thankful every day for my health so far, but it seems odd that so much has suddenly gone wrong.

LadyGaGa Thu 15-Jun-23 12:35:17

I agree fancythat Me and Dh have just climbed up from Mykonos town. It’s a killer! Just about did me in - but we said just the same. ‘Let’s do it while we still can’

fancythat Thu 15-Jun-23 07:39:43

I am early 60s. Nothing wrong with me. Except I have always been a tired person.
I had been wondering what attitude to have towards older age. For some reason I didnt mind turning 60 but recently had a birthday and felt a bit shocked at my age.

Having read a few threads and posts similar to this, I think my attitude should be gratefulness.

One of my falling apart friends said recently, we need to travel while we still can.
I am not one for travelling much, but am seeing that I cant take the future for granted any more, and do need to go while we can.

LadyGaGa Thu 15-Jun-23 06:51:30

62. Can no longer kneel or crouch as it then involves a comedy routine of getting on all fours with my rear end in the end and crawling to an object to get hold of. Currently on holiday and my DH and I trying to get off a sun bed must have caused a bit of entertainment round the pool! My toiletry bag takes up most of my suitcase! Drops, lotions, potions, creams for every nook and cranny, Tena ladies, tablets etc! What ever happened to chucking a bikini and a few pairs of skimpy knickers in a suit case! 😂

RosesandLilac Thu 15-Jun-23 06:16:31

For me various bits are creaking or malfunctioning but it’s the severe heart failure after viral myocarditis 5 years ago that floored me (I was yr and very fit and healthy)
I thought I had the ‘flu …..
It’s reasonably well controlled but restricts what I can do - the mind’s willing but the body won’t!
I make the most of my days and enjoy simple things 😊

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 15-Jun-23 05:54:46

I think that health problems build up, whether or not they show themselves at 60 or 70 is just luck.

I’m not too bad, MrOops has health problems as has his father and 2 Uncles so genetics seem to have played a part there, but our youngest daughter has had serious health problems since her early 20s and they show no sign of letting up. I just hope we keep healthy now so that we are here to help and support her.

Rk75 Thu 15-Jun-23 03:51:35

I feel the same… always healthy. As soon as I got in my 60s it was digestive problems, knee surgery, kidney stones, renal cyst, eye problems, sinus surgery… I just don’t understand it.

Feelingblue10 Sat 25-Mar-23 20:28:41

Ladies, I would like to thank you one and all, and wish you all the very best for your upcoming scans and treatments, especially Redhead and nexus. I feel so much better reading about you all. Compared to some of you, my niggles are really just that. Niggles. Nothing life threatening at all. I will totally take on board the message I am getting loud and clear...enjoy yourself, life is short. When I saw a consultant last week, she was surprised I didn't take any pills, she said I had a 'healthy lifestyle' (no, of course I didn't believe her). Anyway, with that in mind, tonight I treated myself to a custard slice and a glass of Baileys (oh yes, I know how to have fun!) Best wishes, all of you. grin

Wyllow3 Sat 25-Mar-23 13:09:12

Like the list, ticks the boxes, for me it was 70+ but other life factors at work which made certain things sudden.

It gets easier once you start to think, well, what can I do, enjoy, and accept, not what could I do. that's not easy, but worth the effort.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 13:00:52

Janiepops

When one bumps into people and they say “well hello and how are you these days?” you have to make a split second decision…. either lie, and say “ fine thanks” or say “ how long have you got?!” ( to listen I mean, not how long till you drop dead?!)🤯
Very bad design fault, old age, I will put in a serious complaint! We are like a car, eventually bits pack in and drop off! Parts need replacing, some people go for second hand bits and bobs…. hearts, kidneys…
I keep springing a leak, then my pipes get blocked, my eyes are as dry as dust, but then water like mad! What the hell’s that all about?! My throat must have gone slack, ( like my bladder) cos now I sometimes choke on my saliva choosing the wrong bally tube to go down, I can cough for hours!
Anyway, counting my blessings… let’s see…. well I’ve not got a bunion 🤷‍♀️
Meanwhile, as I’m always tired, I must try and sleep, I’ve only had 13 hours today 😴🥱

😂

I’m not 60 yet, but already see quite a few small health blips.
We all age differently tho.
Best to put a humorous spin on it like Janiepops and be glad we’re still here.

Kim19 Sat 25-Mar-23 12:02:08

'I'm fine I think. Whoever knows?!'. Usually results in a smile which is my hope. In actual fact I'm really fortunate when I read this thread. Halelujah!

Kim19 Sat 25-Mar-23 11:59:27

When people ask how I am I always respond with 'Fine

annodomini Sat 25-Mar-23 11:35:17

All since the turn of the century, when I became a pensioner: new hip, partly new shoulder, cataracts, peripheral neuropathy, skin cancers, small denture, hearing aids. But very glad to be still alive.
As someone (who?) once said, 'It's better than the alternative'.

Redhead56 Sat 25-Mar-23 11:28:46

Silverlining48 Thanks I appreciate that it is on my mind 24/7!

silverlining48 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:31:02

Apart from the prolapse I had/ have similar , but bundled these up under ‘niggles’.
So my niggles are
Sight
Thinning Hair
Sleep deprivation
Hearing moderate loss
Vertigo
Tinitus
Breathlessness
Tooth enamel and gums shrinking
Arthritis hip knees shoulder thumb and feet
Gut Problems ( TMI)
Warts moles and other skin stuff
Memory

Suddenly not feeling as fit as I thought I 😟 was , oh dear!
There’s no getting away from old age , well there is but that’s a bit final .
Have s Great Weekend all wink

pascal30 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:17:03

MerylStreep

merlotgran

I don't smoke, don't drink much, I'm veggie

Hopefully you haven’t left it too late!

😂

Brilliant 😂

Most amusing!!!

nandad Sat 25-Mar-23 10:09:29

Agree OP. One day I was 59 and no health issues, the following day I was 60 and it feels like all of a sudden I’ve lost my hearing, eye sight has deteriorated massively, my hair is falling out, I’ve been diagnosed with arthritis in my ankle and thumb joints and I have a double prolapse. I feel like I’m at the doctor’s every other week. And I only turned 61 last month.

Visgir1 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:01:18

60.. It all imploded for me, just before my 60th my Fibroid turned out to be Endometrial Cancer (caught early so I'm OK) during my Radiotherapy my Dad died. Few weeks later a week after my 60th my long awaited Hip replacement happened, they broke my Femur putting it in.
Since then, I have had a Knee replacement, I then got fast AF had a Cardioversion. Still not good, turned out I needed a Pacemaker, 3 weeks after that, last Aug I had my other Hip replaced (no broken leg this time) and this week I went back into Fast AF so admitted to local Hospital for another Cardioversion..all praise to that team, sorted in less than 48 hrs.
60.. Not a golden age for me either!

silverlining48 Sat 25-Mar-23 10:01:16

Hope the scan puts your mind at rest Redhead. My dh had a scan yesterday after months of headaches, fingers crossed 🤞.

Redhead56 Sat 25-Mar-23 09:37:59

The arthritis started in my late forties in various parts of my body and various treatments. I had a THR at 53 since then two other joints have the same osteoarthritis in them I have leant to live with it.
I recently went to the local Walk in sick of the cough (I have had since late last year). We have not had access to our own doctors since lock down)
Staff at the Walk-in sent me for an an X-ray and I was told I now have to have a scan to investigate further. Until I know what it is I will have to continue to say “yes I am fine” when I am asked. As you do as a mum because I don’t want my family worrying about me. You have to get on with whatever life brings at sixty six I am used to putting a smile on and hope for the best.

silverlining48 Sat 25-Mar-23 09:30:33

Mid 70 s with niggles which started 2 or 3 years ago, but nothing serious and am grateful I don’t need to take any 💊 .
Yet am overweight+ and some may judge me a drain on the nhs but apart from having my children I have not spent a night in hospital until two nights last year.
I am grateful and consider myself lucky 🍀

Auntieflo Sat 25-Mar-23 08:46:53

Yes, well I got to my 3 score years and 10, then fell apart.
Won't bore you with all the details, most of them listed in above posts.
Still, I am here, sore, achey and extremely tired, but glad to see the sunrise each day.

MerylStreep Sat 25-Mar-23 08:05:59

merlotgran

^I don't smoke, don't drink much, I'm veggie^

Hopefully you haven’t left it too late!

😂

Brilliant 😂

grandMattie Sat 25-Mar-23 05:15:15

I must be extremely lucky (or have very good genes) as I am 75 and have only slight niggles.
I developed gout last year, but mildly,; I’ve got gastric reflux, but not very seriously; my worst niggle is potential gingivitis.
My chassis is holding up pretty well!

nexus63 Sat 25-Mar-23 03:13:22

i feel the same way but all mine started 4 years ago when i was 56, since then i have had bowel cancer, vulva cancer, groin lymph nodes all removed and now at 59 i have lymphedema in my legs, both badly swollen and nothing can be done about it, on top of that i have plantar fasciitis in the soles of both heels, i feel as if i am falling apart..lol, i have had psorias for 30 years but it has flared really badly in the last few months, i feel as if all i do is keep putting cream/lotion on and take pain killers. i had hoped i would still be sort of okay at 60 but something went wrong along the way, but as my granny used to say, if it's for you it wont go by you, just need to get on with it....and it is 3.15 am and i can't sleep.

Janiepops Sat 25-Mar-23 01:10:24

When one bumps into people and they say “well hello and how are you these days?” you have to make a split second decision…. either lie, and say “ fine thanks” or say “ how long have you got?!” ( to listen I mean, not how long till you drop dead?!)🤯
Very bad design fault, old age, I will put in a serious complaint! We are like a car, eventually bits pack in and drop off! Parts need replacing, some people go for second hand bits and bobs…. hearts, kidneys…
I keep springing a leak, then my pipes get blocked, my eyes are as dry as dust, but then water like mad! What the hell’s that all about?! My throat must have gone slack, ( like my bladder) cos now I sometimes choke on my saliva choosing the wrong bally tube to go down, I can cough for hours!
Anyway, counting my blessings… let’s see…. well I’ve not got a bunion 🤷‍♀️
Meanwhile, as I’m always tired, I must try and sleep, I’ve only had 13 hours today 😴🥱