Gransnet forums

Health

TB

(5 Posts)
Sallywally1 Mon 05-Jun-23 14:17:56

I thought that we had beaten this, at least in the UK, but apparently it is on the rise. I was inoculated when a teenager, but apparently this was stopped some while back. Why I cannot think!

Visgir1 Mon 05-Jun-23 14:44:02

TB can be effectively treated with a mix of Antibiotics.
The majority of cases of TB has comes in via people born outside of the UK, but still a small number.

My Daughter who is now 31, was not given the TB inoculation at school but my 35 son was.
Apprently not high risk now.

HowVeryDareYou2 Mon 05-Jun-23 16:40:48

I was off school and missed the TB jab (I'm now 64). It hasn't been a concern so far.

SueDonim Mon 05-Jun-23 18:11:28

The TB jab was stopped because it’s not very effective and it wears off anyway. My dd was vaccinated when she was six, when we went to live abroad. When her immunity was checked as a medical student, it had worn off. As it’s not possible to re-vaccinate (I don’t know why) she is not supposed to be in contact with any patients known or suspected to have TB. In fact, where she works they see quite a bit of TB so she has no choice but to put herself at risk.

TB jabs are still offered at birth in some areas of the UK where TB is more prevalent but there are often cultural reasons why not everyone takes advantage of that.

AskAlice Mon 05-Jun-23 18:19:13

My 11 year old GD had the BCG injection (TB) as a very young baby as she was born in East London, where there is still a high risk of getting TB. My GS, aged 7, was born in Hertfordshire and hasn't had the innoculation.

All four of us siblings were innoculated at age 13. We lived in Inner London but I believe it was fairly routine in most parts of the country at that time. It seems that nowadays it is only given routinely if there is a higher incidence of TB in the area.