Gransnet forums

Health

Root canal treatment

(44 Posts)
Farzanah Thu 27-Jun-24 15:02:49

Does it perhaps depend on type and situation of tooth whether regular dentist will/can do? I had one years ago at NHS dentist fine. Last year paid around £700 privately referred by my dentist, for root canal in back molar. It failed and paid further to have tooth out!
Was a bridge, so then had 2 implants costing around £5,000 and I’m definitely not wealthy.
No wonder there are Porsches and other high end cars etc in the dentists car park 😲

Waterloosunset Thu 27-Jun-24 15:01:17

Gosh NotSpaghetti, that’s cheap! In London? Thx

MayBee70 Thu 27-Jun-24 14:56:13

I had it done years ago when a tooth was pretty much beyond saving. It was very badly infected.I was recommended a private dentist by a dentist I'd seen for a second opinion so I went to him. At the time my tooth was worth more than my car. But I had my own NHS dentist finish it off with a crown which saved a lot of money. I think NHS dentists are limited in the amount of time they can spend with a patient and it's probably even worse now.

Aldom Thu 27-Jun-24 14:51:50

BlueBelle re endodontist, see post 13.57 by Waterlooville.

NotSpaghetti Thu 27-Jun-24 14:48:16

Root canal treatment "from £256" at my (private) dentist. I just looked it up.

Waterloosunset Thu 27-Jun-24 14:45:34

BlueBelle

Years ago I had root canal but just with the ordinary NHS dentist never heard of an endodontist sounds like a made up name to justify charging you more

Yes absolutely Bluebelle, that’s exactly what I was thinking too!

nanna8 Thu 27-Jun-24 14:17:20

I had one done about 3 years ago and it is fine. Cost around $1500 Australian dollars - about £750. No rebate but well worth the money.

BlueBelle Thu 27-Jun-24 14:16:56

Years ago I had root canal but just with the ordinary NHS dentist never heard of an endodontist sounds like a made up name to justify charging you more

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jun-24 14:13:01

My root canal treatment wasn’t successful either. In the end the tooth had to be extracted.

TerriBull Thu 27-Jun-24 14:09:55

I had a lot of root canal when I developed a cyst on my gum. My dentist at the time charged £700 to drain the cyst but thst didn't resolve the problem. Subsequently found a wonderful NHS dentist who referred me to The Orthodontist Dept at local hospital had a load more root canal treatment on the NHS but that didn't save the tooth and eventually had an extraction and a bridge. Having had a lot of these procedures, I've felt my gums have not felt quite the same since, although my dentist assures me at 6 month check ups, both teeth and gums are in good condition.

Waterloosunset Thu 27-Jun-24 13:57:50

I live in London and that’s what they are calling them. I gather they train a further two years to specialise in root canal treatment! Hence their prices maybe! Thanks all.

Waterloosunset Thu 27-Jun-24 13:52:33

Thank you. I’ve been researching, online but ended up even more confused! Yes, Georgesgran, very expensive, the endodontist is estimating from £895! They say, they have all the top of the range equipment etc., which a dentist doesn’t have. So I really appreciate your feedback. It is very reassuring hear your experiences with your dentists. Many thanks.

Pompie Thu 27-Jun-24 13:49:54

I have had a root canal with my regular NHS dentist some years ago and a private root canal at the cost of £1400.
Absolutely no difference in the experience or the quality in my inexpert opinion.Hope that it goes well for you.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 27-Jun-24 13:49:06

My dentist referred me to another for root canal treatment because ‘it didn’t float her boat’. 🤔

NotSpaghetti Thu 27-Jun-24 13:46:59

Are you in America or (say) Australia?
I'm not sure we usually refer to endodontists here in the UK?
Maybe the training is different?

My daughter also has a root canal filling. Hers was also done by the dentist.

NotSpaghetti Thu 27-Jun-24 13:43:25

My dentist did my root canal treatment herself.
That was over 10 years ago and the tooth is still functioning perfectly. I don't even know which it is!

Georgesgran Thu 27-Jun-24 13:42:14

Plenty of info online.
However, while the cost under an NHS dentist will be less than £100, under a private dentist, it could be as much as £800 - so I’d be asking for an estimate and preparing for a bit of a shock!

Marydoll Thu 27-Jun-24 13:40:53

I have had a number of root canal treatments. All done by my dentist, with little discomfort or problems.

Waterloosunset Thu 27-Jun-24 13:38:29

Hi everyone, I am needing to have root canal treatment. I’ve been lucky up until now, never needed any dental treatments, so this is all new to me. I’ve seen two dentist’s, one says she could refer me to an endodontist. And the other dentist says she is happy to do the job but she’s not an endodontist. I don’t know how important it is to see a specialist. From what I see, it looks like some dentists are happy to do the job themselves. As is said, this is all new to me, I’d never heard of this treatment until today. Any advice would be really appreciated. Very many thanks.