M0nica
Are there any food supplements that are not based on milk in any form?
I cannot drink milk. I am currently nursing an upset stomach after thing I could get away eating some soft cheese this weekend.
My childhood was made hideous by the determination of teachers and nurses to make me drink my free school/hospital milk. I dodged, they made me drink it, I was sick/ill and I was in more trouble for, according to teachers/nurses, deliberately making myself sick, so my aversion to milk now goes well beyond the actual affects of the lactose, the sight of plant milks andthe thought of drinking them, also make me feel sick. I certainly could never drink any.
I take Ensure and first of all they gave me the milk based ones. They didn’t agree with me and I couldn’t take them.
I don’t know if me being vegan for six years had anything to do with it but they caused me to vomit. I tried to return them to the pharmacy but they couldn’t take them back once they had left the pharmacy.
On learning the reason why I was returning them the chemist told me that they did the Ensure in a fruit juice form.
I then went back to the drs and had it changed for the fruit based ones. They still contain milk protein but you can’t taste it. They come in a few different flavours such as lemon and lime, orange, apple, peach and fruit punch.
I’ve tried numerous other fruit based supplements all prescribed by my hospital dietitian but these are the only ones I like.
I asked her if there were any savoury type supplements I could take as an alternative because I sometimes found the drinks a little bit rich and due to chemo altering my taste found them a bit too sweet sometimes.
So now I am also on a savoury powder/soup type of supplement which is a nice change from the juice.
They come in potato and leek, chicken, and savoury veg. All gluten free but a bit bland so I add salt and garlic powder to bump up the taste.
Hope this helps.