Dh had this done 21 years ago. Used a waterproof mattress protector. Very little problems, twice, from what I can remember. In hospital 2 nights and then home. Had been told he may have a catheter for 5 days but didn't happen. Don't know if age makes a difference, he was 58 at the time.
Same as Ashcombe. DH had the procedure in 2000 and I donβt remember any problems just a gentle recovery and a relief to be free of the problem. He has not looked back since.
DH was told he'd be moved to "the top of the list" as they "forgot" to put his name down then the original Consultant left.
That was over three months ago.
Watching this thread π
I will be watching too Allira.
Also could someone tell me, is there practically always leakage etc requiring plastic sheet and pads ? DH has received info about the op but nothing about after care.
One surgeon said one thing, one surgeon was dismissive of that. DH doesn't know what to think now.
I had this in 2011 after years of difficult symptoms. They said it could grow back in as little as five years, but I can often sleep throughout the night even after all this time. Expect leakage of blood for Γ couple of days. I could control my urine flow straight from the hospital. The flow is sometimes weak especially first thing and I get an urge to urinate in the night sometimes but it's false. He'll get used to it.
My DH had this procedure in 2015 in France, where he has his main home. He was in hospital for just over a week, where he had a catheter for several days. He could do little when he first came home and rested each afternoon for a week or so and gradually got back to normal. There was no problem with incontinence and his quality of life, in terms of loo visits, has improved a great deal!
DH was told he'd be moved to "the top of the list" as they "forgot" to put his name down then the original Consultant left.
That was over three months ago.
Watching this thread π
I will be watching too Allira.
Also could someone tell me, is there practically always leakage etc requiring plastic sheet and pads ? DH has received info about the op but nothing about after care.
Get a waterproof mattress cover and a box of pads and see how it goes, every one is different , if incontinence was problem before it may continue for a while. If control was good before there may be no leaks
DH was told he'd be moved to "the top of the list" as they "forgot" to put his name down then the original Consultant left.
That was over three months ago.
Watching this thread π
I will be watching too Allira.
Also could someone tell me, is there practically always leakage etc requiring plastic sheet and pads ? DH has received info about the op but nothing about after care.
Waiting time, I scored an own goal booked a holiday before my appointment was set, you are not allowed to fly long haul 8 weeks before or after any operation so that delayed me, otherwise all good.
Thanks for the PM - encouraging to hear. And thanks for others' comments. Already have waterproof under sheets (young visitors etc) so just need to use what we have. Seems the recovery period is longer than the optimistic docs may say, but with luck and patience should not be ages.
As I said upthread, my DH will also be having this in a couple of months so any advice gratefully received, and I'm sure sandelf may be able to advise me by then. Good Luck to you both .
If you don't already have this, I recommend a fitted waterproof mattress cover, underneath a quilted cotton mattress protector. bottom sheet goes ontop.
It'll be silent, not sweaty, no risk of wet mattress. Anyleaks can easily be laundered.
MacMillan website, forums and nurse advice all invaluable. DH has spent a lot of time on prostate forums talking to other patients