Gransnet forums

Health

Post menopausal bleed

(34 Posts)
drbledu23 Fri 17-Jul-26 21:14:22

Has anyone gone through this after age 60?

I had a brief episode when I was 54 - a couple of years post-menopause - and had it all checked out including the invasive 'probe' at UCH. The consultant spotted a fibroid but wasn't unduly concerned about it and described the episode as a 'last hurrah'. All fine.

Not had any further episodes until today when I went to the loo earlier this evening and had a small gush (which seems to have stopped now). but have to admit I was a bit shocked. It's my birthday tomorrow (64) so an unwelcome present to ruin my day.

I've read that this kind of thing after the age of 60 is a definite cause for concern so of course I'm going to get it checked out - just wondering whether anyone here has going through similar in their sixties??

Cressida Wed 05-Aug-26 13:26:41

I've had 3 episodes of pmb. Each time a thickened womb lining was detected via ultrasound followed by a hysteroscopy where polyps were found followed by removal under GA.

I am wondering if it's really necessary to undergo a potentially painful hysteroscopy for pmb if trans-vaginal ultrasound shows a thickened womb lining.

Greenfinch Wed 05-Aug-26 12:45:47

It was suggested that I should take paracetamol a couple of hours beforehand which I did.

lovethepuppies Wed 05-Aug-26 12:41:12

Ilovecheese

I had a hysteroscopy on Thursday, awaiting results. Can I ask others who have had hysteroscopy, were you offered any pain relief?

I had one this year, under general anesthetic, with D&C. I was given paracetamol by the drip in recovery. I never had any pain afterwards.

drbledu23 Wed 05-Aug-26 11:21:26

Angjan

Was that a very helpful comment

Which comment are you referring to?

Angjan Tue 04-Aug-26 19:49:23

Was that a very helpful comment

crazyH Tue 04-Aug-26 19:42:58

I had polyps in my 50s. I was told they would eventuallly shrink and so they did .

drbledu23 Tue 04-Aug-26 19:33:31

When the bleeding which seemed to tail off over the weekend started up again on Monday morning, I did contact both the Gynaecology department and my GP. Just wanted to speak to the doc who performed the procedure to see what if anything she had done but they never called me back.

The GP surgery did though and I saw someone the same day. The GP advised that the whole area when there is atrophy present is very delicate and can bleed a lot when it has been disturbed (in my case by an invasive cervical check and prolonged TVS probing). I have been prescribed oestrogen cream to apply to help it heal.

Just awaiting further checks at the Urology department next week on the other issue. Trying not to think about it but after the latest round of trauma at the hands of the NHS I hope they will be more supportive and handle things better.

Gwyllt Fri 31-Jul-26 18:06:58

From what I can gather the method of hysteroscopy depends on where it is carried out a very fine instrument does not require a general but some less fine does. That was how a gynaecologist explained it to me Nothing to do with size of polyp He also said the percentage that are cancerous is very low. I think I remember him saying below 5%

Cressida Fri 31-Jul-26 16:28:22

nexus63

please get it checked, this happened to a friend at christmas, she was referred to gynecologist, waited 5 months for appointment, she is starting treatment soon for stage 4 cancer, 6 weeks of 5 x week radiation as she is to ill for chemo, they did a scan at urology 2 months ago and only found a tumour at another scan 3 weeks ago., she is 65 and could not understand why she was bleeding as she had the menopause early 40s, she is now 65.

Waiting 5 months for an appointment is horrendously poor.

Although being given an appointment for a week later is very scary as it makes you think the worst.

My last experience was 9 weeks from seeing my GP to having a polyp removed under GA and would possibly have been quicker if it could have been done as a day case rather than an overnight stay.

Baggs Fri 31-Jul-26 16:04:10

Ilovecheese

I had a hysteroscopy on Thursday, awaiting results. Can I ask others who have had hysteroscopy, were you offered any pain relief?

I had one a little over a couple of years ago. I wasn't offered pain relief and didn't need any. The doc was most helpful and skilful. Apparently I had the "healthiest womb lining [she'd] seen all week" She suspected, as I did, that various symptoms I'd had were due to stress. DD1 died a few weeks later.

Ilovecheese Fri 31-Jul-26 11:42:52

petra

Ilovecheese

I wasn' t offered any pain relief. I didn't know much about the procedure, as I didn't know I was going to have it until I was at the hospital. I still can't quite believe that no pain relief was offered. It was quick, yes, but felt barbaric.

This subject is a national scandal that nobody of any importance seems to be addressing.
There have been several Woman’s hour programs featuring it.
Here’s one.

www.bbc.com/audio/play/m002z737

Thank you very much for this link petra I have just listened to it.
I was recalled for another biopsy, and this time I was advised to take paracetemol and ibuprofen before the appointment, and had a local anasthetic injection and gas and air during the procedure .
It was still painful but there was less of a shock because I was prepared.
I can't fault the staff, who were very kind.

nexus63 Fri 31-Jul-26 02:00:48

please get it checked, this happened to a friend at christmas, she was referred to gynecologist, waited 5 months for appointment, she is starting treatment soon for stage 4 cancer, 6 weeks of 5 x week radiation as she is to ill for chemo, they did a scan at urology 2 months ago and only found a tumour at another scan 3 weeks ago., she is 65 and could not understand why she was bleeding as she had the menopause early 40s, she is now 65.

drbledu23 Fri 31-Jul-26 00:58:00

I didn't find today's experience particularly reassuring - either in terms of the doctor who did the exam or the experience itself.

Before she did the scan she decided to have a look at my cervix - similar to have a PAP smear which I never found particularly comfortable. This bit really hurt like never before - actually yelled OWW! at one point.

Since I got home this evening I have found bleeding on the tissue when I go to loo and in the loo bowl as well. Advice is that there can be spotting after such procedures but this is not spotting ... wondering if she was a bit rough on it and has done some damage.

MayBee70 Fri 31-Jul-26 00:20:47

drbledu23

Well I had the scan etc today and gynaecologically all was fine. No thickening of womb lining, cervix Ok but possible vaginal atrophy for which I will be prescribed oestrogen cream. The doc didn't see any necessity for a pipelle biopsy so no further investigation.

However, whilst she was rooting around with the scan she said that I appear to have a 'growth' in my bladder which she has referred me for investigation by the Urology team within the next 2 weeks. Now I am worried sick ... doc wasn't specific about what it could be (apart from what we all fear the most) and said 'I'm not a urologist' ... I left the hospital in a daze.....

Strange that the PMB and discovery of this growth coincided - I haven't had any symptoms other then PMB - no blood in urine or UTIs, pain, bladder problems etc. Don't know what to think about all this.

When I had an ultrasound for a pmb they said they’d seen something dodgy and would show it to a consultant. I went on holiday soon afterwards and worried all the time. Returned home to find a letter saying consultant didn’t think it was anything to worry about. Right from the start no one mentioned the fact that it could possibly just be atrophy ( which it was). I know they’re not supposed to talk as if it’s nothing to worry about but, at the same time surely there’s a way of considering worst case scenarios without terrifying you either. On top of that, when I was having the ultrasound at one point they asked me if ‘ anyone was with me’. Of course I just thought the worst but it was because they were sending me to another building and I needed to tell whoever I was with where I was going. Again it absolutely terrified me. When I worked for the NHS I always tried to say things in a way that would allay people’s fears; there are ways of wording things better. Let us know how you get on x

OldFrill Thu 30-Jul-26 23:59:02

Lyn Brown (former MP now Baroness) has been raising awareness about hysteroscopy for years, leading at least 3 major parliamentary debates as well as highlighting the problems in many other parliamentary sessions. Through this awareness medical guidelines have changed but they remain "guidelines" and are all too frequently ignored.

One of the stumbling blocks is the lack of support women who have been traumatised by the procedure get from those that haven't. So many suggest it's a failing of the woman that feels acute pain, "suck it up, drama queen, low pain threshold (ridiculous btw), take a paracetamol (ha bl***dy ha).

The guidelines have been changed but it now needs those guidelines to become practice in every hospital. As ever, it seems it's up to women to make sure they are given the information to make an informed choice about their treatment. To do this, like Lyn Brown, we need to keep raising awareness.

Those who haven't experienced pain please believe the women who have, "barbaric" is not an exaggeration.

petra Thu 30-Jul-26 21:31:32

Ilovecheese

I wasn' t offered any pain relief. I didn't know much about the procedure, as I didn't know I was going to have it until I was at the hospital. I still can't quite believe that no pain relief was offered. It was quick, yes, but felt barbaric.

This subject is a national scandal that nobody of any importance seems to be addressing.
There have been several Woman’s hour programs featuring it.
Here’s one.

www.bbc.com/audio/play/m002z737

drbledu23 Thu 30-Jul-26 20:46:08

Well I had the scan etc today and gynaecologically all was fine. No thickening of womb lining, cervix Ok but possible vaginal atrophy for which I will be prescribed oestrogen cream. The doc didn't see any necessity for a pipelle biopsy so no further investigation.

However, whilst she was rooting around with the scan she said that I appear to have a 'growth' in my bladder which she has referred me for investigation by the Urology team within the next 2 weeks. Now I am worried sick ... doc wasn't specific about what it could be (apart from what we all fear the most) and said 'I'm not a urologist' ... I left the hospital in a daze.....

Strange that the PMB and discovery of this growth coincided - I haven't had any symptoms other then PMB - no blood in urine or UTIs, pain, bladder problems etc. Don't know what to think about all this.

drbledu23 Mon 20-Jul-26 17:41:02

Can't believe what was heading the letter that I received this morning following a telephone consultation with the gp

We had a civilised and sympathetic chat about what was going on, and she discussed the referral with the other GPs (they have as expected referred me down the 2-week pathway - or the scan and scrape as I call it). Got the usual gumph about 'we are just ruling it out' - and then I received the referral letter headed Suspected Gynaecology Cancer - Gynaecology Service!

Is that meant to allay my fears and put me at ease??

I don't expect to be soft-soaped having been round the block before but I found this a bit much. Don't you just love our kindly caring NHS!!

Consultation and examination on 30 July.

Ilovecheese Sat 18-Jul-26 19:21:10

I wasn' t offered any pain relief. I didn't know much about the procedure, as I didn't know I was going to have it until I was at the hospital. I still can't quite believe that no pain relief was offered. It was quick, yes, but felt barbaric.

Treebee Sat 18-Jul-26 19:09:31

Yes, at 58. Had an ultrasound at hospital and a cervical smear as I was overdue for one. All was clear and it hasn’t happened again, thankfully. My good wishes to you as you get this checked out.

drbledu23 Sat 18-Jul-26 18:44:06

As far as I recall last time I had this procedure, the consultant applied a little topical anaesthetic to the probe (it only hurt for about 1 minute) and after wards just advised to take a paracetamol or similar if there was residual discomfort.

You should ensure that you ask before they start to do anything and they give you an option.

MT62 Sat 18-Jul-26 18:30:24

Ilovecheese

I had a hysteroscopy on Thursday, awaiting results. Can I ask others who have had hysteroscopy, were you offered any pain relief?

Yes you should have been offered pain relief at the time. Did you receive nothing at all?

Ilovecheese Sat 18-Jul-26 15:44:24

I had a hysteroscopy on Thursday, awaiting results. Can I ask others who have had hysteroscopy, were you offered any pain relief?

MT62 Sat 18-Jul-26 15:20:59

Yes make sure they send you for an ultrasound.
I haven’t had the bleeding but found out I had a thickened womb, whilst doing ultrasound for my bladder.
I do also have fibroids & cysts on one of my ovaries.
Gynaecologist goes in my womb once a year with the camera whilst having Botox in my bladder, just to keep an eye on things.
I am on HRT.

drbledu23 Sat 18-Jul-26 15:10:47

Well must admit that the doctors at my surgery do not exactly inspire confidence ... last time the 'child' doctor did not even look me in the eye, examine me or want to discuss the matter - just looked at the crib sheet on the screen and sent me for referral at UCH. The hospital consultant was much more informative and encouraging...

Anyway, will let you know of any outcome. Thanks for the responses everyone and the support.