Vegans face hostility like accusations of ‘spouting rubbish’ before they even open their mouths. I couldn’t kill an animal. I loathe the treatment of animals in the meat and dairy industries and the cruelty of fishing. It follows that I really would like to open people’s eyes to the suffering that goes into a bacon butty, a ploughman’s lunch or a fish supper. But the rolling of eyes and derision that meets even the mildest of reasoning indicates to me that people don’t want to know the appalling conditions that provide their food. Yes, you can eat a fully balanced plant based diet, it takes a bit of effort, but better that than the squalid misery and terror that we put animals through. Can you imagine queuing to be slaughtered (cattle and chickens)? To be killed by poison gas (like pigs are)? Gasping for life under tons of your fellows as fish do? Humans, largely, dissociate themselves from the source of their food through buying animal ‘products’ in sanitised packaging at supermarkets. Most will not read a cosmetic, perfume, hygiene or washing product label to ascertain a) whether it contains animal derived ingredients or b) has been tested on animals. But, there, voicing these truths is called ‘spouting rubbish’ - or proselytising. To vegans, it is empathising, caring for other forms of life, having a conscience. “I use X because I’m worth it” smiles the celebrity. Unless your face cream displays the leaping bunny logo, no, you’re not.