Oh I definitly believe we over treat the very elderly and can give many examples but I ll stick to one, my best friend who is 90 this month is a very sane, sensible clear thinking woman with no after life beliefs She had had a number of procedures though her eighties, new knee, new hip, some blood transfusions etc etc but had talked to me many times about not wanting to be ‘saved’ any more. She proudly told me many times she had her DNA letter which went everywhere with her she lodged her wishes with her doctor, and hospital consultant. She was so thrilled it was all completed, (her family live a good way away)
However when she was found unconscious and rushed into hospital (with her letter) , her life was saved when I went to see her afterwards she had a catheter in and a feeding tube up her nose, she could not talk only gobbledegook she’d had a major stroke. fast forward a few months she still can only talk babble but her mind is functioning, she is locked in …Her family have sold her precious home to keep her in the care home, she is very unhappy and cries with whispered unintelligible words when I visit.
The last time I went she had been taken to hospital to have the first appointment for a cateract operation as her name was next on the list !!!!!!!
I so agree with that doctor that said just because we can doesn’t mean we should
My DNA letter will be very specific