Gransnet forums

Health

Fractured rib osteoporosis

(29 Posts)
Grandyma Sun 02-Aug-26 20:51:29

Last Tuesday I lifted the hoover out of the cupboard and felt a sharp pain in my chest. Thought I’d pulled a muscle. Not been feeling well since then with the pain. Turns out I’ve fractured a rib. I have had osteoporosis for years but this is the first problem it’s caused me. What makes it worse is that I have COPD and it hurts to breathe. How long before I get some relief from this pain?

Grandyma Mon 10-Aug-26 11:50:35

My wheat bag takes 2 1/2 minutes on full power. It is the only thing that helps with the pain at the moment. Only allowed paracetamol every 8 hours. Struggling to cope with both the pain and the stress of being unable to do much. My DH is not well and needs more support than I can give him. I do hope things start to improve soon.

BrandyGran Mon 10-Aug-26 10:18:30

Yes mine takes 2 1/2 mins on full power. Depends on size I suppose. It’s a great comfort as I can’t take usual pain relief..

Fairislecable Sun 09-Aug-26 09:16:08

Hi Rosiebee I found the following instructions online I hope it helps:

Rating Maximum Time
500 - 750 Watt2 Minutes
750 - 1000 Watt1 1/2 Minutes

Rosiebee Sun 09-Aug-26 09:07:02

I've found a wheatbag that I used years ago and thought it might help DH's back pain but I can't remember how long to warm it up in the microwave. Can anyone help please? Thanks.

Grandyma Sat 08-Aug-26 21:01:37

4allweknow thank you 🙏

4allweknow Sat 08-Aug-26 18:01:00

I just bruised ribs last year and took weeks to stop being painful on every breath and movement. That was bad enough so a break I imagine will be worse. Take care, hope you feel better before too long.

Grandyma Sat 08-Aug-26 17:33:05

WithNobsOnIt Thank you. I’m still in a lot of pain. I think this will seem like a very long 6 weeks!

WithNobsOnIt Sat 08-Aug-26 17:30:29

You poor thing. Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. It must be awful.

Not had a broken rib myself but l've hard that they can be very painful.

I'm sure that advice from other GN's could be very useful for you.

Get Well Soon💐
😻
Best Wishes

Notagranny44 Sat 08-Aug-26 15:54:01

Brandygran I also find co-codamol and any other effective painkillers make me constipated, but I do take Paracetamol and have solved the constipation problem by adding psysilium husk into my diet, along with daily Laxido. I take mine (the husk) whizzed up in a Slim drink, usually Tesco's vanilla one, with a spoonful of instant coffee. It's quite palatable that way, easy to drink and low calorie as I'm still trying to lose weight.

lizzypopbottle Sat 08-Aug-26 14:39:16

Nightsky2I
Yep, 5 to 6 weeks for bruised ribs if someone forgets to use control when we're sparring in karate. It only hurts when you breathe and, if your Sensei (teacher/instructor) is anything like mine i.e. likes to tell jokes, it really hurts when you laugh.

OmaJoy Sat 08-Aug-26 13:49:35

Usually takes me about 6 weeks. No fun, I really sympathise

Patsy70 Thu 06-Aug-26 08:40:48

Yes,, my sister has vitamin D and calcium tablets Grandyma. Hope the pain is getting less severe.
She’s not a lover of brandy, but I think the wine helps!

BrandyGran Thu 06-Aug-26 00:28:05

A hot brandy with brown sugar helps too!

Grandyma Wed 05-Aug-26 20:02:11

Patsy70 my osteoporosis was picked up by a basic Xray about 10 years ago for something unrelated. I have had Dexa scans to measure the bone density but waiting for one didn’t hinder being prescribed treatment. All I have now is daily vitamin D tablets.

Patsy70 Wed 05-Aug-26 19:03:58

Thank you Grandyma. As a family we feel that without a bone density scan, how is the consultant able to make a diagnosis of osteoporosis. It does seem likely, but not conclusive. She had the surgery due to compression of discs in the lumbar region.
I do hope your rib heals soon. It is so very painful, especially with COPD. Pleased that the wheat bag is helping. 💐

Grandyma Wed 05-Aug-26 18:31:06

Patsy70 I used to have yearly Zolendronic Acid infusions up until a few years ago. I think I reached the maximum dose. I have never suffered any painful injuries as a result of osteoporosis before even though I have a couple of compression fractures in the vertebrae in my upper back. Never had Denusab. Hope your sister improves soon.

Grandyma Wed 05-Aug-26 18:18:39

So pleased my advice helped you BrandyGran. I’m currently propped up on the sofa with my wheat bag 😊

BrandyGran Wed 05-Aug-26 17:52:45

Thx Grandyma just had the deepest sleep with my comforting heated wheat bag against my ribs- bliss!

Patsy70 Wed 05-Aug-26 15:03:24

The wheat bag helped my sister when she had small fractures either side of her lower spine, although she didn’t know what had caused them, until she was told she had osteoporosis, without having had a bone density scan. At the time, she was also recovering from spinal surgery, but the fractures hadn’t shown up on the post surgical scan. A second scan revealed them, all within 4 months of the operation.
I’m sorry to hear of the pain you are experiencing. So many women over the age of 70 have osteoporosis.
Incidentally, do any of you have 6 monthly injections of Denosumab? This is the treatment my sister will have, should blood tests and dental results be okay.
Sorry for the length of this post.

BrandyGran Wed 05-Aug-26 14:41:41

Grandma I have one of those wheat bags I made years ago! I must try it asap. Thx for advice.

Grandyma Wed 05-Aug-26 10:12:48

Oh BrandyGran I’m so sorry to hear that. I can only tolerate paracetamol due to stomach issues and the fact I’m on blood thinners. Voltarol does nothing for me and paracetamol only takes the edge off the pain. The thing that’s helping me the most is a wheat bag that you heat up in the microwave. I really do wish you well very soon 💐

BrandyGran Wed 05-Aug-26 10:00:45

Fell awkwardly and broke a rib. Pain is terrible. I can’t take paracetamol or Cocodemol as they cause another problem - constipation. Any help would be v much appreciated. Gp gave me Ibrufen gel which is not helping at all.

Nightsky2 Sun 02-Aug-26 22:18:43

Six weeks.
Last year I literally tripped over my feet and fell against a side table fracturing a rib. It was incredibly painful especially when getting up from the sofa or a chair. The pain was manageable with pain killers 3 times a day.
The doctor I saw in A&E told me it would take 5/6 weeks and he was right. The pain was manageable with pain killers 3 times a day. I hope you’re feeling a bit better soon as it’s a horrible pain. I don’t have osteoarthritis.

Grandyma Sun 02-Aug-26 21:59:19

Plevey08 thank you for sharing your experiences. I’ll try sleeping propped up. I’m on warfarin so just taking paracetamol for the pain which is actually making me feel sick - I’ve got no appetite atm. Speaking to GP tomorrow

Plevey08 Sun 02-Aug-26 21:30:08

Luckygirl I remember a friend having that. They gave her a back brace then and I think she said it was helpful. I've heard there are other options too. Hope you get some help.

Grandyma I also slept in a more upright position too as that helped with the pain and breathing. Very painful to turn over so I bought a shaped neck pillow which.helpef keep me in one position.