Gransnet forums

Health

Gum health.

(30 Posts)
travelsafar Mon 03-Aug-26 10:53:07

Ive just got back from 6 monthly check up. Dentist told me my gums are better than last time. I mentioned that I use Cordosyl toothpaste every day and I think that's why. I haven't changed my dental routine i still use interdental brushes and electric brush. So must be the toothpaste. If you have gum issues may be worth trying😁😁

Nannabumble70 Thu 06-Aug-26 10:25:38

The best things for oral hygiene are a water flosser and electric toothbrush. Water flosser removes all debris between teeth on gum line and electric toothbrush removes plaque and polishes teeth.

JPB123 Tue 04-Aug-26 21:42:49

My dentist prescribed Durafat 500 for me.

foxie48 Tue 04-Aug-26 17:15:24

I went for my check up today and the dentist had free samples of Corsodyl active repair toothpaste for patients to take so I was surprised to read the negative comments on this thread. I looked up the ingredients and it doesn't contain chlorhexidine. The main ingredient is sodium bicarbonate with added fluoride so is perfectly safe to use on a daily basis.

Mamie Tue 04-Aug-26 16:09:42

I have peridontal gum disease and use a water jet which is excellent. I use Oral B pro toothpaste. I tried Corsodyl mouthwash and it stained my teeth.
My French dentist always recommended a paste of a refined version of bicarb with oxygenated water which I used for years, but that met with blank looks in Boots.

missdeke Tue 04-Aug-26 16:03:05

I need a toothpaste for sensitive teeth, but I can't stand peppermint and it''s almost impossible to find a toothpase that's not peppermint. Colgate sensifoam whitening is more spearmint flavoured so that's what I use but it's not readily available. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful.

Estrellita Tue 04-Aug-26 16:02:51

Thank you. I have very bad gum problems which have caused me to lose most of my teeth. I am currently using Sensodyne but will try Corsodol.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Aug-26 15:49:14

I have a real problem with chia seeds since I’ve been eating chia puddings each day. Not only to I have to use interdental sticks to get them out of my teeth but I have a small child’s fork that I use to get them out of my toothbrush.

Tenko Tue 04-Aug-26 15:44:57

MayBee70

Chlorhexidine should only be used for a short amount of time ( and stains teeth). Whereas Corsodyl can be used all the time. I would think that allergic reactions to it are quite rare but it’s worth bearing that in mind when using it. I used to be wary of sodium laurel sulphate which is in a lot of toothpaste; kept getting mouth ulcers.

Corsodyl contains chlorohexidine and both should only be used for 2 weeks max.
Both stain and if you use it all the time you can build up a resistance to the bugs . Allergies to chlorohexidine are not that rare and have caused a severe anaphylactic reaction.
I’m a hygienist and I never recommend corsodyl . Mechanical cleaning of teeth is far better than mouthwash. I call them mouth deodorants as they just freshen the mouth .

Greciangirl Tue 04-Aug-26 14:46:23

I occasionally use Corsadyl toothpaste and alternate with Sensodine t.paste.

I also use Corsadyl mouthwash if I have sore gums for a few nights and that always clears it up.

It’s good stuff for occasional use.

As for electric toothbrushes, I tried one but it felt like a drill inside my mouth. I was also scared it might loosen some of my crowns. I’m not risking that.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 04-Aug-26 14:28:30

Back when I had teeth I used to use Corsadyl mouthwash and ended up with brown teeth - looked like a heavy smoker!
I found that and most toothpastes irritate my mouth so I use Tepe toothpaste for my few remaining teeth, and my dentist has complemented me on how well they are doing.

SpringsEternal Tue 04-Aug-26 14:07:50

Try oil pulling. Gentle and very effective, very thorough

Aveline Tue 04-Aug-26 13:54:58

Oh no. Just when this thread has led me to decide to get Corsodyl next time.
Oh well. Back to Oral B professional clean

JdotJ Tue 04-Aug-26 13:41:44

My dentist told me not to use Corsodyl products too often as can damage teeth and gums

Its a minefield in your mouth !

MayBee70 Tue 04-Aug-26 13:04:22

I used to get mouth ulcers a lot years ago and used to buy Corlan tablets but they then became prescription only. I was going to say that it’s probably thrush because of the antibiotics but it obviously isn’t. Maybe taking zinc would help?

Elless Tue 04-Aug-26 10:02:42

I've got a really sore tongue after taking antibiotics, I tried treatments for thrush but now I'm using a mouthwash called Gengigel which has proved very helpful. It has very good reviews for gingivitis, mouth ulcers and sore gums.

Plevey08 Mon 03-Aug-26 22:04:31

I use a salt water solution too, but before I brush, as I hear we shouldn't wash the toothpaste off, as it needs to remain on teeth to continue fighting bacteria especially at night.

Notagranny44 Mon 03-Aug-26 17:57:39

I find the best way of keeping my gums healthy in addition to brushing and flossing, is a "mouthwash" made with ordinary salt and water. I just make up a solution so that it is not too salty (about 4 tspns to 500 mils of water) and rinse with that after every brush. It's virtually free and does the job!

MayBee70 Mon 03-Aug-26 17:05:27

That’s the gel or the chlorhexidine mouthwash. The various toothpastes can be used all the time. I’m going to alternate with the Sensodyne but my teeth feel so clean when I use Corsodyl.

Plevey08 Mon 03-Aug-26 16:42:08

I did use Corsodyl a few years ago but I think I found it too harsh or strong. I thought you should only use it for a short time for bleeding gums?

MayBee70 Mon 03-Aug-26 14:08:45

Chlorhexidine should only be used for a short amount of time ( and stains teeth). Whereas Corsodyl can be used all the time. I would think that allergic reactions to it are quite rare but it’s worth bearing that in mind when using it. I used to be wary of sodium laurel sulphate which is in a lot of toothpaste; kept getting mouth ulcers.

M0nica Mon 03-Aug-26 13:46:29

Not if the alternative is a permanent allergic reaction that could do more damage to your health than it is preventing it

Sarnia Mon 03-Aug-26 12:23:53

I kept Corsodyl in business for years, always using their toothpaste and mouthwash.
Unfortunately, some new cardiac medication I was on at the time had a side effect of gum disease and even Corsodyl could not keep it at bay.
I had to have all my teeth removed. If Corsodyl means keeping your teeth then use it, it is preferable to dentures.

M0nica Mon 03-Aug-26 12:16:02

Be careful, for anyone new to cordosyl. Its active ingredient can cause an allergic reaction.

A few years ago immediately after an implant on the right hand side of my mouth my dentist told me to swill just that side of my mouth with Cordosyl mouth wash, three times a day, which I did.

When I woke up the following morning the whole of the right side of my mouth was swollen with a dark bruise all the way along my jaw line.

I raced back to the dentist, to be told that the cause was an allergy to the active ingredient of cordosyl.

I have done some research and there is actually an NHS warning and advice sheet on the active ingredient.

www.nhs.uk/medicines/chlorhexidine/how-and-when-to-use-chlorhexidine/

So take care about using corsodyl,

MayBee70 Mon 03-Aug-26 12:10:59

I just checked out if it was ok to use all the time, which it is. Because I read that mouthwash containing alcohol eg Listerine, shouldn’t be used all the time as it destroys the good bacteria as well as the bad. Both me and my partner were told by our dentists that we weren’t cleaning the back of our teeth thoroughly and realised that we spent more time cleaning the front than the back. I can’t use an electric toothbrush because I have so many fillings; although the dentist says they shouldn’t remove a filling mine fall out on a regular basis; usually after I’ve had a scrape and polish ( my NHS dentist no longer does them but, bless him he packs as much into my appointment as he can; he really is wonderful and I hope he doesn’t move on…).

YorkLady Mon 03-Aug-26 12:09:36

Aveline

There's soooo much choice in toothpaste! Whitening, gum health, enamel strengthening, 24 hour protection etc etc

And they are all a different price too. šŸ™„