Gransnet forums

Health

Advice on effects of long travel sought.

(15 Posts)
Poppygirl Tue 04-Aug-26 06:59:00

Thank you all for your kind and helpful comments.
To answer the various questions: it cannot have been from something he ate, and we were careful to keep drinking water throughout the day. I didn't ring 111 because we were not in Britain. He is feeling much better now, but I was alarmed by the incident and was just wondering what one can consider as normal in the circumstances, and what not. We have both noticed significant body/health changes as we have entered our sixties. It's uncharted territory; what we used to think was normal, no longer is.
I will certainly encourage my husband to go to the doctor to get checked out.
Thank you again for all your input.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 04-Aug-26 06:21:09

How is he now OP?

M0nica Mon 03-Aug-26 21:05:09

Why did it not occur to you to ring 111? It has been around for 20 years plus. I have found it invaluable so many times. Either way, your DH should see a doctor.

The journey made sounds hyper-exhausting and it is possible this is just age catching up with him, but better safe than sorry. Get him to have a check-up.

LOUISA1523 Mon 03-Aug-26 20:56:23

Doesn't sound normal travel fatigue at all

EkwaNimitee Mon 03-Aug-26 20:32:32

Like NotaGran, I thought a heart attack. Something similar happened to a friend though they hadn’t done a long travelling day. As they suspected something he’d eaten, there was a lengthy delay in eventually getting medical help.
He should get checked out.

HelterSkelter1 Mon 03-Aug-26 19:54:19

A call to 111 would have been the best thing to do, but I can appreciate that your DH may have said no don't fuss...which is what my DH says, but I no longer listen to him.
The journey sounds long and stressful in this heat and maybe the drive at the end was too much for him after a long day. Possibly something he ate on one or other of the flights? Dehydration? Overheating?
It would be a good idea to get him to run it past his GP.

The thought of your journey made me feel quite ill and I was only reading it not doing it

Esmay Mon 03-Aug-26 19:54:03

Only a GP can diagnose an underlying problem

MollyNew Mon 03-Aug-26 19:53:13

Dehydration can be very debilitating. Were you both eating and drinking enough during your journey? I suffer with migraines so I always have to make sure I have a drink and snack with me just in case.

NotAGran55 Mon 03-Aug-26 19:34:13

Why didn’t you call 111 for help at the time. A paramedic would have been dispatched to check him out.
My dad was 59 when he collapsed on the bathroom floor with his first undiagnosed heart attack.

Make an appointment with the GP, even if he is feeling better now.

Plevey08 Mon 03-Aug-26 15:53:13

I agree with Lathyrus and see your GP as the collapsing is a bit extreme. The vomiting could be a virus or eating something dodgy. But I'm also thinking blood sugar levels with the collapsing and weakness. So probably best to get checked out.

J52 Mon 03-Aug-26 14:47:11

Were you able to take his pulse or blood pressure?
We keep a blood pressure monitor at home and DH wears his Apple Watch at night to monitor his health, after a couple of friends had funny turns at night. Might be worth considering a smart watch, purely as a precaution.I hope he’s fully recovered now.

Lathyrus3 Mon 03-Aug-26 14:35:27

Personally I would be referring this to a doctor.

That’s just my opinion though.

IWasFirstClarinet Mon 03-Aug-26 14:34:16

It sounds to be more than tiredness. I am in my eighties and until recently I used to do long-haul flights to Penang in Malaysia. Around 14 hours, then there was the cab ride to the airport and again in the resort itself. We were very tired, yes, but no more. My wife and I never vomited or collapsed and we did this every year for ages. I think he should be checked out by a doctor, although at first description it sounds like some sort of allergy or maybe food intolerance? I assume you ate the same meals on the journey?

SueDonim Mon 03-Aug-26 14:27:34

I’ve been sick or had a migraine after a long journey, especially if food has been irregular or not to my taste or I’ve been dehydrated, so I think it could happen. However, I’ve never been collapsed on a floor. Does your Dh have a temperature or other signs of illness? If he’s feeling better, that’s obviously good, maybe make sure he has some rehydrate solution as well.

Poppygirl Mon 03-Aug-26 14:16:36

Is it possible to be ill simply from a long day of travel without there being an underlying health problem? Our journey entailed a small-hours-of-the-morning rising and 3-hour drive (our son driving) to catch the first of two flights (both only around 2 hours long), and then a 4-hour drive from the airport with my husband (63) driving, to arrive home around 18:00. We were both tired, of course, and went to bed before 21:00. A few hours later he awoke and rushed to the bathroom to vomit, whereupon he then collapsed on the floor. He felt so weak he was unable to move for about 30 minutes, and I was unable to lift him. At last he summoned the energy to rise and, with my help, stagger back to bed. He remained there till morning and was not sick again, but still felt very weak and unwell for the rest of that day. The next day he was much improved. Is this just something that some people are susceptible to, or is it a sign of something else? Any advice please?