Gransnet forums

Health

Do you get a mot at the doctors?

(43 Posts)
lovingit Fri 07-Aug-26 23:47:14

I aee the practice nurse every 6 months for h.r.t. and go for all vaccinations offered by my surgery but I have not needed to see a doctor for over 15 years. I knew my bp was okay but didnt know about my cholesterol so asked for a blood test. The results show my cholesterol is high and I need a repeat test as my kidney results are not normal.
I am 75 and do wonder why we are not called in for an annual mot as this could have been picked up earlier.

grandMattie Sat 15-Aug-26 14:05:08

I’m 78 and have only just three months ago had my first MOT. It’s a shame that after 70 one is supposed to have one, but unless you are aware, or very conscientious, no appointment is forthcoming.
Interestingly, I moved from Kent to Bristol 3years ago, signed up with one surgery, who were probably good, but getting past the unkind, nay cruel, dragons, was more difficult than getting an audience with the pope. I changed to a different one, where I was summoned within days!

Pittcity Sat 15-Aug-26 13:58:20

My surgery only offers an NHS health check if you are not diagnosed with a chronic illness or taking regular medication and so not being monitored already.
There used to be pop up health checks in our City centre and at supermarkets but I haven't seen one for ages.

henetha Sat 15-Aug-26 13:09:35

I must remember to phone the surgery to make a flu jab appointment before the end of August. They no longer remind us and if we leave it too late they get filled up.

Farzanah Tue 11-Aug-26 16:06:36

I wonder what criteria was used to recommend stopping after 74, when many conditions can show after that age. Ageist?

Gin Tue 11-Aug-26 13:06:01

Oldfrill. I wonder why checks stop at 74 as stated on your NHS advice page? Are we expected to be past caring about.

dragonfly46 Mon 10-Aug-26 21:45:20

Interesting that it says it is for people up to the age of 74. I am 80 and my DH 83.

Silvershadow Mon 10-Aug-26 14:44:56

Yes OldFrill is right, this is what I did myself at the beginning of the year. It was a very worthwhile experience and I’d encourage others to do it. It highlighted cholesterol issues for me which I didn’t know about.

OldFrill Mon 10-Aug-26 12:51:50

Here's the NHS page giving details of the five yearly health check (or more frequently if you have the health conditions it lists).

NHS Health Check - NHS share.google/jojE629RoL2vRoaEy

Silvershadow Mon 10-Aug-26 11:42:56

My GP practice is fantastic. I’ve been having blood checks for a few months and seeing my GP who is lovely. Luckily, I’m all clear but having them done again in three months just to be on the safe side. We are both well monitored for issues and my DH is checked regularly for his ailments. Our local hospitals are also very good. We feel very lucky.

beachcomber76 Mon 10-Aug-26 11:39:00

I'm 77.

beachcomber76 Mon 10-Aug-26 11:10:12

Never had one or been offered one. I should have thyroxine levels read every 12 months.

GP used to send reminders but now don't. I've had to arrange it myself for years now.

Samsara1 Mon 10-Aug-26 10:58:23

I get a LTC review which has dwindled down to just BP taken by an HCA. She asks if I care to step on the scales and I say no thank you. She asks how much alcohol I drink and I give her a figure she can cope with. Its a totally meaningless encounter but she will have ticked a few boxes.

Doodledog Mon 10-Aug-26 10:40:54

My meds aren’t linked to ageing - I’ve had asthma since my 30s - but the MOT checks that nothing is developing. I’m surprised at how different people’s experiences are. We seem to be very lucky where medical things are concerned, judging by what I see on here.

SueDonim Mon 10-Aug-26 10:34:28

Neither my Dh or I have been offered such a service. It’s too late for my Dh and I suppose as I don’t take meds linked to aging, they don’t think it’s worth seeing me. I’ve had my BP taken elsewhere and it’s been fine. I get called now and then to have my thyroid blood test, but that’s a sporadic event.

Oreo Mon 10-Aug-26 09:19:19

Yes, every year and in the month we were born.

dragonfly46 Mon 10-Aug-26 07:22:01

Yes we have check- ups every year. We are sent a text asking us to ring the surgery and book. After my last one I was sent a text asking me to book an appointment. The text contained a link to all the doctors in the practice with times so all I needed to do was click on one.

notgran Sun 09-Aug-26 07:49:10

I have an annual MOT with the GP's Surgery. It is usually conducted by one of the Nurses but this year was with the lady who is in charge of Prescriptions. She has a very official professional sounding title but I asked in detail what her role is and basically that was it. She actually was very thorough. I had blood tests beforehand and did the home BP reading. She spent 30 mins discussing the results and altered my prescription including stopping one. I now only take one BP tablet and a different sort of statin. I have no thyroid so have to take thyroxin and we discussed how my weight problem and BP issues are not helped by having no thyroid. She was very knowledgeable and directed me to some journals on subjects relating to my conditions, to help me understand why she had made these decisions. She was concerned about my problem trying to lose weight (I have recently lost 2 stone and have another 2 stone to lose but it's not shifting) and I am to have more blood tests in October to see how the new prescriptions are working and I am having a 24 hour BP monitor this week to double check my home readings. All in all I was very pleased with my annual MOT which previous years has been not as thorough. As a suggestion, my MOT appointments only happen because around my birthday I contact the Surgery and say "I think I need to make an appointment for my annual MOT", otherwise they wouldn't happen.

Gin Sat 08-Aug-26 22:55:07

The only check up I get is a phone call from the asthma nurse. How one can review asthma over the phone is in my opinion quite useless.

watermeadow Sat 08-Aug-26 20:31:46

cornergran

I’m 78 and have never been offered an MoT. Medication reviews happen over the phone if at all. We request medication monitoring blood tests for Mr C every 6 months as protocol for his meds. If we didn't ask there would be no reminder.

I was offered a check up 15years after whenever it should have been. It was a tick box exercise done by someone half-witted. I have no trust in our abysmal surgery and haven’t seen a doctor for years. I know that, if I needed to see one, it would be well-nigh impossible.

Usedtobeblonde Sat 08-Aug-26 12:19:25

When I had my last review with the pharmacist, over the phone, she said I’m pleased to tell you Mrs B that you are no longer pre-diabetic.
Me… I didn’t know I had been pre-diabetic… oh yes your bloods two years ago flagged it but you are not any longer.
What is the point?

ViceVersa Sat 08-Aug-26 11:38:34

Sarnia

ViceVersa

I'm gobsmacked at this! I can't even get a routine appointment at my local GP, never mind an MOT! I'm supposed to get regular liver function blood tests, have been on a couple of medications for years now and no review has ever been carried out. I haven't been able to actually see a GP for about two years now, despite having had two recent trips to A&E and being told to follow up with my GP. Instead, I've just been fobbed off with blood tests. I know things aren't right - but I'm now at my wits' end. I think I've just given up.
Sorry for the rant...

You have a rant.
I would feel the same as you, especially as you have been hospitalised and advised to have follow ups at your surgery
In your shoes, I would be getting in touch with the practice manager and asking some questions. Failing that, could you change to a different surgery?

Unfortunately, changing surgeries isn't really an option - pretty much all the other GP practices around here are already over-subscribed and not accepting new patients unless you move into their catchment area.

Doodledog Sat 08-Aug-26 11:35:47

It must surely be cheaper to run regular blood tests than to treat ailments that could be prevented. If someone is, say, pre-diabetic they could make lifestyle changes that prevent the diabetes from taking hold, or if cholesterol is building up a stroke could possibly be prevented, too.

Sarnia Sat 08-Aug-26 11:24:14

ViceVersa

I'm gobsmacked at this! I can't even get a routine appointment at my local GP, never mind an MOT! I'm supposed to get regular liver function blood tests, have been on a couple of medications for years now and no review has ever been carried out. I haven't been able to actually see a GP for about two years now, despite having had two recent trips to A&E and being told to follow up with my GP. Instead, I've just been fobbed off with blood tests. I know things aren't right - but I'm now at my wits' end. I think I've just given up.
Sorry for the rant...

You have a rant.
I would feel the same as you, especially as you have been hospitalised and advised to have follow ups at your surgery
In your shoes, I would be getting in touch with the practice manager and asking some questions. Failing that, could you change to a different surgery?

cornergran Sat 08-Aug-26 11:08:56

I’m 78 and have never been offered an MoT. Medication reviews happen over the phone if at all. We request medication monitoring blood tests for Mr C every 6 months as protocol for his meds. If we didn't ask there would be no reminder.

henetha Sat 08-Aug-26 11:03:15

Until two years ago I had an annual check-up with a nurse at the surgery. I'm 88.
Now I have to take my own blood pressure twice a day for 7 days and then send in the average reading online. Likewise with my pulse rate.
And I had to weigh myself and measure my height and send those in online.
I am still called in for a blood test and then go online to read the result.
I am not at all happy with this. It seems to me that I should get a proper annual check up at my age. Are GP services becoming a DIY service?