Gransnet forums

Health

At home dentists

(9 Posts)
Gingster Mon 17-Aug-26 13:34:46

Just booked a private dentist at home. Will cost an arm and a leg but dentists do anyway, don’t they. The process to get the community dentist is very long winded with having to be referred and then a long waiting list.

Thanks for reading and replying

kittylester Sun 16-Aug-26 22:25:06

I think only very simple treatments are available at home. As someone else said, the Community Dental Service is the best bet. If they can't manage the treatment at home then they can provide transport to the hospital.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Aug-26 17:47:37

I was a dental nurse when I first left school, so many years ago now.

We used to do home visits, and they worked ok as far as iknew.
I never saw anyone suffering, because the pricedures lacked adequate preperation and tools.

Probably even better now, with all the new treatments and equipmemt.

Casdon Sun 16-Aug-26 17:27:22

They can do extractions, simple fillings, adjust your dentures etc. at home, but more complex procedures need more equipment. However, community dentists also have access to sessions in equipped dental surgeries in hospitals, and patients can be treated there too if it’s more appropriate. They would normally only do home visits for people who are housebound.

Gwyllt Sun 16-Aug-26 17:04:05

I imagine the treatment is rather limited

Casdon Sun 16-Aug-26 12:24:10

I think you need to contact your GP, or his existing dentist, to get a referral to the NHS Community Dental Service. They have mobile equipment, and will treat housebound people. It’s an excellent service, the dentists are fully qualified, and specialise in treating people with various disabilities who can’t access normal dental services.

aggie Sun 16-Aug-26 12:13:32

My oh broke a tooth , so it was a simple extraction
I can’t remember , but it was probably my daughter arranged it on the phone

aggie Sun 16-Aug-26 12:11:16

Ring his dentist and ask him what is available

Gingster Sun 16-Aug-26 11:49:46

Dh has trouble getting out if the house and desperately needs to be seen by a dentist.

Has anyone had this service and how does it work.

I’ll be grateful for any advice and experiences

Thankyou .