Gransnet forums

Health

Toilet paper

(41 Posts)
appletree21 Tue 18-Aug-26 17:04:16

Cossy

rubysong

Go paper free. Squares of old t shirt. Just throw in the wash and reuse. Better for the planet. I only do this for a wee, so there is always paper available.

Mmmm is it better though? I’d be washing them so often and that’s the washing machine being used?

Yes, that would also entail me buying more bottles of disinfectant. I would probably be adding whole bottlefulls of disinfectant in the machine every time I washed the said squares of material!!!

Shel1951 Tue 18-Aug-26 16:55:43

Not stupid,we have same problem in our house,our main concern with loo rolls is the septic tank,trying to find paper that is ok

Doodledog Tue 18-Aug-26 16:51:31

Have you tried Wype? It's a gel that you put on loo roll to make it into an environmentally friendly wipe. So you basically wipe as usual, then put a pump of gel on a second bit of loo roll and wipe again. It's all natural and soothing. I keep a large pump in next to the loos, and a small one in my bag for emergencies out and about. Boots and Holland and Barratt stock it, or their website is try.wypeuk.com/products/the-starter-bundle

Luckygirl3 Tue 18-Aug-26 14:58:49

I do not use Who Gives a Crap as they use chemicals to make the paper white and they waste lots of paper wrapping each individual roll both of which are entirely unnecessary.

I use Naked Paper for tissues and toilet paper.

Davida1968 Tue 18-Aug-26 14:15:14

Agree with Visgirl. "Who Gives a Crap" bamboo for us!

MayBee70 Tue 18-Aug-26 13:32:17

As my sewage pipe blocks on a regular basis I prefer to use paper that breaks up more easily. But can I recommend using Wype along with toilet paper. I bought it for when travelling but use it all the time now. Having a weak bladder I do find myself using an awful lot of loo paper so sometimes use cut out squares of old towels but do end up using an awful lot of stuff like Milton and sanitiser in the wash which probably counteracts any good I might be doing environmentally.

MissChateline Tue 18-Aug-26 13:17:33

I had a water spray “bum gun” installed. It delivers a nice cleansing spray of water that effectively cleans up after everything. I then “drip dry”. Mine is a cold water only one but you can get ones linked to the hot water.
I’m very happy with my spray but I do keep rolls of paper available for those who chose not to use the spray.

Samsara1 Tue 18-Aug-26 12:20:59

Not sure but you could use wipes after tissue and discard into a bin.
Have you had the tubeless toilet rolls? disaster for us the last portion kept collapsing on itself.

Cossy Tue 18-Aug-26 10:05:33

rubysong

Go paper free. Squares of old t shirt. Just throw in the wash and reuse. Better for the planet. I only do this for a wee, so there is always paper available.

Mmmm is it better though? I’d be washing them so often and that’s the washing machine being used?

Cossy Tue 18-Aug-26 10:04:18

Sago

We use “Who gives a crap” it’s very good.

I completely agree, best I’ve found!

Funny story, DD wanted some loo rolls for crafting at school last year, I religiously collected them, we use a lot with 6 adults, proudly presented them to her and she burst out laughing, “oh I cannot use those, they say “who gives a crap on them” “

Haha, I hadn’t even noticed, her little 5 years would have, and so would their parents and, worst of all, DD’s Head Teacher!

Visgir1 Tue 18-Aug-26 09:58:48

I'm a "Who gives a crap" fan the bamboo one. Much prefer that to others, plus a roll of that also last longer than other makes.

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-Aug-26 09:41:45

It's this one, in the green stripey packaging.

NotSpaghetti Tue 18-Aug-26 09:40:04

I like Cheeky Panda toilet paper and like it especially for this reason. We now buy the plain white version all the time. - don't buy the quilted sort.
This is their website but we just buy ours with the supermarket shopping.

uk.cheekypanda.com/?srsltid=AfmBOooDkGWM3dnbzDOISpCWDW282-8tzGKPVUG93sRpAPvU0Qu7VK_A

My daughter likes "Who gives a crap" toilet tissue but I prefer Cheeky Panda. It is really smooth and gentle but flat. I think this very smooth absorbant flatness is perfect!

rubysong Tue 18-Aug-26 09:32:01

Go paper free. Squares of old t shirt. Just throw in the wash and reuse. Better for the planet. I only do this for a wee, so there is always paper available.

Sago Tue 18-Aug-26 09:24:58

We use “Who gives a crap” it’s very good.

Riversidegirl Tue 18-Aug-26 08:10:44

I've been reluctant to ask this as it sounds stupid. But when drying myself after a wee, tiny particles of the paper stick to my nether regions and later start to itch. I thought had found a good paper but this last pack has started again. Any tips?