Gransnet forums

Health

New HPV test kits for home testing

(11 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 01-Sept-26 20:52:47

Just read these are going to be sent to all women aged 16 to 65. This is wonderful and hopefully will help the fight against cervical cancer. But why the age group? Older women get this horrible disease to.

OldFrill Wed 02-Sept-26 00:01:20

The age range is supposedly because fewer women over 64/65 have missed tests and it's the shortfall they are concentrating on.

Is it all women aged 16-65 in England? In Scotland it's only certain health boards, not all are participating, and it's only those who have missed tests.

Doodledog Wed 02-Sept-26 00:47:54

It should be offered to all women (of all ages) who have missed tests.

Sallywally1 Wed 02-Sept-26 09:27:48

But also routine smear tests stop at age 65 and I’ve always wondered why. Are there any wise medics on here who can explain?

OldFrill Wed 02-Sept-26 16:09:41

It's still available for some at 64+

Explained in this NHS (England) link

Why cervical screening stops at 64 – PHE Screening share.google/Rp5YZNLEqv5rcBfHy

PinkSweetPea Sun 06-Sept-26 14:10:48

I have just had a routine smear test at 65. I'm guessing that will be my last one now

mrsmeldrew Sun 06-Sept-26 14:48:47

I haven't had one for a number of years mainly because it hurt me so much the last time real agony. I am now 66. But I don't have any symptoms.

icanhandthemback Sun 06-Sept-26 15:07:00

Apart from the disappearance of severe PMT after a radical hysterectomy, the only other really positive change is the lack of necessary smear tests. I always found them excruciatingly painful from insertion of the speculum to the taking of the sample. The only thing that kept me going before the surgery was the loss of my friend's daughter at 23 to cervical cancer. Too young for a smear test but not too old for the cancer. It was tragic.

TerryM Mon 07-Sept-26 02:07:33

I literally utilised the new self test this week. I am approaching 70. In Australia our current time frame for hpv is 16 to 74. Remembering vividly how bad the old tests were I put it off for years . This was "prop leg on toilet seat, insert , turn it around, pull out put in provided container" zero pain, zero humiliation. Time taken maybe a couple of mins tops
For me I am so grateful that for female family members this is so much easier and far less invasive than the old tests

Jennyluck Mon 07-Sept-26 07:57:48

I’m 71, and would love to have this test. As I stopped going for smear test, due to it being excruciating. What a wonderful breakthrough. Let’s hope us older ladies can have them.

OldFrill Mon 07-Sept-26 08:16:58

Jennyluck

I’m 71, and would love to have this test. As I stopped going for smear test, due to it being excruciating. What a wonderful breakthrough. Let’s hope us older ladies can have them.

Tests are available through online chemists, Superdrug advertises one around £55.