Gransnet forums

Health

Horrid rash on lower leg after total knee replacement

(22 Posts)
Stansgran Wed 02-Sept-26 15:58:01

My lower leg is itchy and scaly and lumpy. It looks revolting. I’ve asked Dr Google and it’s come up with Skinted an uncommon rash after TKR. I come from Liverpool and skink means without any money. Has anyone experienced this? Not being skint but Skinted.

Graphite Wed 02-Sept-26 16:05:51

SKINTED - Surgery of the Knee, Injury to the Infrapatellar Branch of the Saphenous Nerve, Traumatic Eczematous Dermatitis)

It must be distinguished from atopic dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis/sensitization induced by topical medications or implanted metal hypersensitivity dermatitis, and post-traumatic eczema/dermatitis. We present a case of an elderly female patient in her 50s with dry eczematous lesions over the lateral aspect of the surgical incision over both knees developed three months following bilateral total knee replacement (TKR) done in view of osteoarthritis. The patient responded well to topical corticosteroid and emollient treatment.

As it may not be SKINTED, it needs professional diagnosis to rule out those other possibilities.

pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/articles/PMC10944648/

grannyqueenie Wed 02-Sept-26 17:18:20

Could it be shingles? I’d want to get it checked out just in case it’s some sort of infection. You don’t want anything to compromise your ongoing recovery from your op. Good luck!

MayBee70 Wed 02-Sept-26 17:43:00

You need to get this investigated asap.

lovethepuppies Wed 02-Sept-26 22:40:12

I'd get that checked today.

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Sept-26 23:49:55

What a disappointment Stansgran. I haven't heard of this. I hope it is cleared up quickly!

How interesting Graphite - every day is a learning day here!
Thank you.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 03-Sept-26 07:42:41

After her first knee operation, Missoops leg swelled up, went bright red and was very itchy, we went straight back to the hospital and they concluded that she was allergic to the glue they used instead of internal stitches, they prescribed some cream, antihistamine cream and painkillers, which worked, although it took a while, we had to take photos to see if it was spreading or not.

For her other knee operation they didn’t use glue and she was fine.

Best to find out what the allergy is ( if that’s what it is)

Charleygirl5 Thu 03-Sept-26 08:50:31

It couldn't possibly be shingles because that is not where it starts. Always the upper body.

It is more likely to be an allergy to something and should be investigated asap, especially as it is on the operated leg.

welbeck Thu 03-Sept-26 13:11:25

Seek medical advice in real life OP
now.
Ring 111

Pattie47 Sat 05-Sept-26 13:37:31

Well said Graphite & thank you for an actual trustworthy medical reference! Agree needs medical advice.

Renata1079 Sat 05-Sept-26 15:30:18

A year after my total knee surgery, I have a strange patch of reddish mottled skin on the front of my shin, below the replaced knee joint. It looks like a rash. But rather than on top of the skin, the mottling and discolouring is underneath. It doesn't itch or hurt. I think it was caused when my leg was clamped with something that had to grip it tight while I was unconscious and being operated on - to stop the leg moving. The "clamp" - or whatever they used to immobilise that leg, may have damaged some tiny blood vessels under the skin. But I don't mind. It was a successful operation, so the discolouring is the least of my worries. In fact - a friend says she has noticed it is starting to fade a bit now. So yours may improve over time, or not.

SynchroSwimmer Sat 05-Sept-26 17:54:44

“ We present a case of an elderly female patient in her 50s …..”

Whaaaat? 😃

EmilyHarburn Sat 05-Sept-26 19:39:57

Hopefully your surgery will give you an appointment immediately. If not the pharmacist might advise or refer you on. But really if the GP is not available you should dial the NHS 111 they will direct you. The hospital I had my knee done were prepared to advise during office hours.

Warmglovesandsocks Sat 05-Sept-26 20:05:19

Stansgran, I have strange skin dermatological patterns (for want of a better description) around my ankles and half way up my legs after total knee replacement. It bothered me at one time, but now I can just ignore it.

ordinarygirl Sat 05-Sept-26 21:05:37

speak to your Dr.

Bluedaisy Sun 06-Sept-26 12:37:37

One of my knee replacements broke in January this year so I had to go and have it replaced, meanwhile I had complications in hospital before operation and it turned out as it was broken and trying to get through my skin it had caused Cellulitis outside and inside my leg, which was red, swollen and itchy. I had to have extremely strong antibiotics for two weeks and more after that as it took ages to heal. Please go and get it checked as URGENT as possible it’s an infection and if that happens you will be in hospital for months! I know as I’ve had bone infections. I don’t mean to scare you but the quicker it’s been treated the better for your sake.

Basgetti Sun 06-Sept-26 12:39:24

Also wondering about cellulitis. Ought to get it looked at asap.

Stansgran Sun 06-Sept-26 13:54:50

I’ve got an appointment with the consultant which I had booked in as routine this week . I think I’ll send a photo and see if he might bring it forward a few days. Many thanks for the input folks.

Purplegranny Sun 06-Sept-26 15:34:17

My husband had this after his second knee replacement 7 years ago. It is venous eczema and was treated by the GP with anti histamine tablets and a cooling menthol cream. He was told he may have the condition for life and could flare up again. Luckily it soon cleared up and it hasn't flared up again. He did not get this with his other leg which was done over 17 years ago. Maybe age makes us more susceptible?

grannysyb Sun 06-Sept-26 19:18:29

I had terrible pruritis after my hip op in 2019, I think it was caused by the River ban blood thinners, it went away for a while, however when I was put on Ramipril the next year it returned with a vengeance! Ihave been suffering since then with itching, sometimes so awful that I was in tears. My local dermatology department were no good, after four years I was reffered to St Thomas/ Guys adult allergy, I have Chronic spontaneous urticaria, I'm on my second course of injections and am finally getting relief. I would say look at your medication data sheet for the reactions which might happen, good luck

Julest Mon 07-Sept-26 16:34:29

I had a rash after a hip replacement surgery and I was so nervous as I have a nickel allergy and thought my body was going to reject the replacement. I was prescribed a cream and possibly tablets and it did clear up (of course my replacement joint didn’t contain nickel but I was extremely anxious for a while.
My doctor said a rash is not uncommon but you should definitely follow up to make sure it’s nothing more serious.

Julest Mon 07-Sept-26 16:42:17

I think I was also sensitive to the glue that was used now that I think about it. It was something like that - not my joint though luckily.
I sent photos to my doctor and he prescribed a treatment based on that with a recommendation to follow up immediately if it got worse.