Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone else feel like this?

(24 Posts)
HobbyCat Sat 05-Sept-26 14:02:32

Hi. I’m at my wits end and I just wondered if anyone else gets this? For quite a few years I have had bouts of feeling ill, aches and pains and fatigue that lasts for weeks on end. It’s usually triggered by a virus and this year I have felt ill more than well. I have been to the doctors about this many times over the years and get fobbed off with “oh it’s just your body getting over a virus.” I have never had Covid so it’s not long Covid and it started way before that but it’s just been getting worse. It’s now affecting my daily life and ability to care for my son. I have had enough and I’m seeing the doctor again in a couple of weeks but I just got to thinking that I can’t be alone in this?

Llamedos13 Sat 05-Sept-26 14:06:36

Sorry you are feeling like this. Has fibromyalgia been investigated ?

Fallingstar Sat 05-Sept-26 14:20:44

I think you really need to push for investigations into this, you should not have to put up with it. Unfortunately I have found that unless I am really proactive with our GP to the point of being pushy, nothing gets done, is tiring to have to be like this but am afraid it seems to be the only way.
Wishing you all the best 💐

crazyH Sat 05-Sept-26 14:23:07

HobbyCat - you must see your Doctor. From your post , I gather you are a young mother.
I am much older than you. I was quite lethargic and a routine blood test showed I am pre-diabetic. I don’t like it but I have changed my diet.
As Llame said, in your case , it could be fibromyalgia. My brother had - it’s quite a debilitating condition but I believe it is self-limiting.
Good luck flowers

HobbyCat Sat 05-Sept-26 14:57:45

No I’m not a young mother, my son is 35 and autistic. I have suspected Fibromyalgia but I am actually prediabetic but the symptoms of this started way before that, I first noticed it over 15 years ago but the flare ups were much less frequent.

HobbyCat Sat 05-Sept-26 14:58:24

Thank you for your messages.

M0nica Sat 05-Sept-26 15:25:56

It could also be post-viral syndrome. I suffered from this for some years. Every slightest cold or bug was followed by a period of up to six weeks when the infection had gone but I felt like a piece of damp cotton wool.

In my case I finally had the PVS to end PVS - it lasted six months. Then one day I woke up feeling fine and I have not had it since. Unfortunately I cannot promise that this will happen for you.

You have to see a doctor and fight your corner.

yogitree Sat 05-Sept-26 15:32:25

I have just been reviewing my own personal notes on my health over the past years. I have fibromyalgia and your symptoms sound very similar to some of what I went/am going through. Of course, there are many variations to this condition which effects everyone differently. I would ask to see a Rheumatologist as that is who will give you a diagnosis if it is Fibromyalgia. For your sake, I hope it's not and that it is something simple. Good luck, let us know how you get on if you do decide to get checked out for Fibromyalgia.

Redrobin51 Sat 05-Sept-26 20:37:49

I'm no medic but the symptoms you are describing sound like fibromyalgia which I have had for about 18 years. As I have got older I have found the flares come far more frequently and last for longer. It feels like the aches and pains and the terrible feeling of fatigue that you have with flu but with no respiratory symptoms. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. Hope at last you get some answers.

Astitchintime Sat 05-Sept-26 20:48:39

PM Sent

Cossy Sat 05-Sept-26 21:04:14

I had the same and eventually after many years and many tests I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, then following an appointment with a neurologist, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

First start is a full, huge raft of blood test, including sugars, Vits D & B12, Iron, full blood count, Inflammatory markers, and the routine kidney, liver etc.

How well do you sleep?

Please insist on the blood tests as a starter for 10, then proceed from there.

Good luck flowers

MayBee70 Sat 05-Sept-26 21:19:39

Going odd at a bit of a tangent here but it just reminded me that, as a young mother I realised that when my children had the usual childhood viruses they wouldn’t be particularly ill with them. But a couple of weeks after they’d recovered they would have a period of feeling very tired and run down. This was before I became interested in health and well-being ( probably to thepoint of obsession) . Viruses have strange effects on people

lovethepuppies Sat 05-Sept-26 22:42:27

I've often had this and eventually got diagnosed with hypermobiity (accounts for some pain) and an autoimmune condition that was really mild, so not getting checked for or ringing any alarm bells with tests all normal, but lying just under the surface quietly. Have they checked you for autoimmune conditions, as some of those can cause aches and fatigue.

Wyllow3 Sat 05-Sept-26 22:54:31

Cossy

I had the same and eventually after many years and many tests I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, then following an appointment with a neurologist, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

First start is a full, huge raft of blood test, including sugars, Vits D & B12, Iron, full blood count, Inflammatory markers, and the routine kidney, liver etc.

How well do you sleep?

Please insist on the blood tests as a starter for 10, then proceed from there.

Good luck flowers

This. Chronic fatigue is not the same as Fibromyalgia. Yes you get aches and pains but you are likely to be bedridden with serious fibromyalgia. I'd go for prolonged serious stress which does trigger CF

(tho if course it could be post viral as well - but also go for any range of tests - ie, iron, thyroid etc that cause fatigue to rule out this and that, most definitely).

I have fairly bad CF which was stress induced but I have been able to adjust the stress enough so can hope as in past episodes for it to heal to a certain extent, except at 75 expect less recovery than when it happened in my 40's.

You are young but you are under stress.

Nannee49 Sun 06-Sept-26 01:17:56

Maybe you need to get checked out for endometriosis HobbyCat as one of the main but under discussed/reported symptoms of which is extreme fatigue due to lesions growing where they shouldn't in the pelvis and setting up a constant loop of inflammation which exhausts the body because it's always being pushed into fight mode.

Please don't let them tell you it's "all in your head" ...the fall back of incompetence when it comes to women's issues...it's a very real, serious condition, allbeit difficult to diagnose, which can adversely affect you in so many ways not least being dragging period pain and fertility issues.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Sept-26 05:38:11

Reported Canilsasherry

Floradora9 Sun 06-Sept-26 16:20:50

I had bouts of pain in all parts of my body and kept asking the GP to refer me to a rheumatologist . Her reply was no because when they did a blood test there was no sign of inflamation . Eventually I saw the top GP and mentioned that I thought I has Lupus or something similar so he then did send me to a consultant and they did a raft of test . The outcome was a diagnosis of undifferentated connective tissue disease. I no longer worry about not being believed when I ask for strong painkillers though sadly there is nothing I can take for this to make it go away . I can have a jolly good spell then a spell of sore ankles , knees , hips even pain in my teeth. My advice do not take no for an answer ask for an appointment with a consultant. It took me years to get a diagnosis .

CarrotTop Sun 06-Sept-26 16:40:10

HobbyCat, No, you're not alone. Your posting could have been written by me, and I've found a lot of helpful ideas in all the replies. My GPs (I have to put them in the plural as I never see the same one twice and they all have different takes anyway) generally only want to look at one thing - they just haven't time to address a raft of complaints holistically.
I have an appointment with a private GP next week (a glorious half-hour!) and will mention fibromyalgia, although I think mental exhaustion is probably more to blame in my case - I've spent 20 years caring for my husband, growing older myself all the time, and it's catching up with me. Could the same be true for you with your son, do you think? Could you book a double consultation with a GP to give you both a bit more time to consider all your symptoms?
Thinking of you. Good luck. flowers

HobbyCat Mon 07-Sept-26 13:55:41

Thank you all for your comments, very helpful. For some reason some of you think I am young, I’m actually 62 but this all started when I was around 45 or so, it’s just that back then it didn’t last as long and it was less debilitating. Now, sometimes I feel so achey and exhausted I can’t even summon the energy to reach out for a coffee cup on the table! I try to get as much done as possible but I have to force myself to cover the daily basics. This latest flare has been going on for over three weeks and it’s really getting me down. It shows no signs of abating. Funnily enough I have found that if I force myself to go out for a little walk I feel better for a little while.

barbaraellen Mon 07-Sept-26 18:58:54

Ask for comprehensive blood tests. Ask if they have considered lymphoma.
Wishing you all the best.

💐

valdali Mon 07-Sept-26 22:58:29

I get a very similar thing, I've had it every spring / summer for 13 years but I think I had mild bouts before & didn't notice they were seasonal.
I've had blood tests most years (as it's debilitating) but nothing picked up, & ikt's not PMR or fibromyalgia (best time of day is morning).
It seems to be allergy fatigue due to pollen, I medicate for this & also have mild treated sleep apnoea, & stay indoors when pollen's very high - all helps but thanks goodness it's september!

SparklyGrandma Mon 07-Sept-26 23:47:37

Post viral syndrome OrME?

Lesley60 Tue 08-Sept-26 00:39:22

There are no tests that can show fibromyalgia, but I would insist that all blood tests are done

LadyGaGa Tue 08-Sept-26 01:11:43

This is an interesting thread. My mum suffered with symptoms like this all her adult life (I’m 65 to give you a reference) I remember as a child my mum becoming pretty much debilitated for days, sometimes weeks on end. Doctors in those days treated her like she was mentally unstable, and it caused lots of arguments between her and my dad. I hope you get some answers HobbyCat