Gransnet forums

Health

LOW PLATELETS

(13 Posts)
omega1 Mon 07-Sept-26 08:32:04

Has anyone had treatment for low platelets. Mine are 35

Franbern Mon 07-Sept-26 14:36:04

Check out a condition called (for short) ITP.

My eldest daughter developed this when she was only 20 years old. This was back in 1980.

The Spleen was treating her platelets as foreign invaders and killing them off. It was frightening when I was told she should not sleep in a room by herself, (in case she had a bleed), and to be extra careful when cleaning her teeth, etc.etc.

Eventually they decided to remove her spleen entirely after all other treatment had failed.

So, she has lived a very full and active life without her spleen since then.

I believe they have better chemical treatment of this condition nowadays.

EllieAnne Mon 07-Sept-26 18:21:51

My husband is being treated for low platelets just now. They think it’s ITP but there is no test for it.
He is being treated with steroids with the dose being gradually reduced and platelet level is increasing.
I don’t know what will happen when the steroids are discontinued.
He didn’t have any symptoms. It was discovered during a blood test.

Franbern Tue 08-Sept-26 08:56:34

Yes, back in the eighties, they tried treating my daughter with steroids.
These actually to stop the spleen working, then by withdrawing the steroids to, sort of, kick=start the spleen to work properly.
It did not work with her.

She had left home a year earlier, then lost her job, and when she went to her GP saying how tired she always felt, she was told she was 'depressed' due to her falling out with her parents, and no job, etc.

It was only when she became really poorly that I made her come back home and visited GP with her and insisted on blood tests, that her condition (and by that time it was extremely bad), was discovered.

One outward sign can be with round marks, like small circles of small bruises on arms, etc. Potentially, it can be very dangerous so needs proper medical intervention.

gransruleok Tue 08-Sept-26 14:15:56

My goodness, I think words of encouragement are what’s called for here, poor op must be feeling quite depressed now.
I hope you get swift medical advice and treatment if necessary omega. Sending good wishes.

jude2006 Tue 08-Sept-26 14:28:09

My father had Thrombocytopenia and had very low platelets, he had a bone marrow test to confirm the diagnosis and this was in the 1980's. He had treatment with steroids and Danazol and it did keep it under control , he was always careful not to cause any problems with bleeding.

Juicylucy Tue 08-Sept-26 14:44:44

My daughter was taken into hospital for low platelets when she was 8 years old. She was monitored in hospital for 6 days until they improved to the proper level. We were told this can just happen for no reason. She’s never had a problem since and she’s 51 now.

Silvertwigs Tue 08-Sept-26 15:20:21

Low platelets are a concern and and be attributed to hundreds of causes.

Smg1950 Tue 08-Sept-26 16:43:34

Hi my platelets go up and down . I was called at 10.30pm by off duty dr after I’d had a blood test that afternoon to ask if I were bleeding from anywhere because my platelets were 48!I had numerous blood tests they were 106 last time but they said not to worry but probably low because I had been unwell with chest infection for 2 months and that caused the drop. I am also anaemic so try to take very low dose iron which may help but iron shouldn’t be taken without asking your dr. I bruise easily and had felt below par . Have you had a bad cold or any illness lately? They told me I had ITP but no one seems bothered.

Pabloscot Tue 08-Sept-26 23:43:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Fairislecable Tue 08-Sept-26 23:52:37

Reported

MoonStone93 Wed 09-Sept-26 14:09:30

Is anyone having trouble with British Gas? I have been with them for decades and they have contacted me about my current tariff ending on 15 September. They say that my new tariff will be over 70% more than I am currently paying i.e. £68.00 going up to £115. I have looked online and it would seem that there are no other options to this new tariff. I have called BG on so many occasions to discuss this but all I get from their South African call centre is that there are no other options and that I should pay the new tariff and when it is seen that my usage doesn't warrant the increase they will decrease the monthly payment. This can't be right. Surely there has to be other tariff options e.g. fixed or variable? I have asked to speak with British Gas in the UK and they tell me that they are unable to pass me to anyone in the UK. Anyone got any UK contact numbers please? At this rate I think I'll be jumping ship very soon.

MoonStone93 Wed 09-Sept-26 14:10:53

What a fool! I've clearly posted in the wrong place....
I will try to correct this.