Gransnet forums

Health

Scabies any words of advice

(12 Posts)
Lipstick Sat 12-Sept-26 00:47:35

I am day 10 of having scabies which was absolutely horrible. The soles of my feet and palms of my hands so so itchy. But really head to toe. Apart from steroid cream and a soothing lotion from gap any thing else I could try. I am sure I picked it up in hospital. It is on the rise

nanna8 Sat 12-Sept-26 02:29:10

Permethrin cream is what they use here. Get it at the chemist, no prescription needed. It works very quickly. I am wondering if what you have isn’t scabies,though?

MT62 Sat 12-Sept-26 09:51:54

It’s becoming more common. We have had several outbreaks in the care homes & local hospital here where we live.

SueDonim Sat 12-Sept-26 18:56:32

I think you need a permethrin cream or lotion, applied all over the body, to get rid of scabies. A steroid cream won’t kill the bugs, unfortunately. Anyone else in your household needs to be treated as does your bedding etc too. This is the NHS take on it. www.nhs.uk/conditions/scabies/

I hope you feel more comfortable soon, it sounds miserable. flowers

Plevey08 Sat 12-Sept-26 19:09:18

As SueDonim.says really
My sister was the manager of a care home a few years back. They shutdown the care home to visitors. All residents had to be treated including bedding, clothes etc.

Plevey08 Sat 12-Sept-26 19:11:47

Meant to add that it was rampant throughout local care homes. Nasty and itchy.
Wish you well with getting over it. Very likely picked up in hospital.

fluttERBY123 Sat 12-Sept-26 21:08:50

I've had it three times. Small of the back. Probably from the bus. My GP said he'd had it from seat in a plane but maybe he was just being nice. They like dry skin. I had to cover myself with some cream. And such a palaver washing every fabric in sight.

fluttERBY123 Sat 12-Sept-26 21:12:57

Two kinds of cream, the permethrin and then the other cream so skin not so dry and they can't get a hold. It was a while ago and can't remember in what order the creams were used.

fluttERBY123 Sat 12-Sept-26 21:16:58

If it is scabies you will have curved lines of tiny dots.

Lipstick Wed 16-Sept-26 15:53:08

Thanks to all. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy!!! Horrible. Definitely from hospital stay

JamesandJon33 Wed 16-Sept-26 16:08:06

We had it at school. once. All staff plus their partners had to be treated. I washed absolutely everything. DH wasn’t very pleased

Visgir1 Wed 16-Sept-26 16:10:52

"Nit" lotion /treatment works. My sister was part of a large care home group and they kept it for just that. My DH picked it up aboard, GP couldn't shift it, but we had a go with the Nit lotion poured over him, worked a treat. Worth a go?