Gransnet forums

Health

Not able to empty bladder entirely.

(17 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Sun 13-Sept-26 10:16:23

Yesterday had a scan and was told I left 125 ml out of 290 ml. I have been plagued with UTIs for years and told before about this problem. I have tried standing up and turning around, leaning forward helps a bit but I did this yesterday and still left that amount. I have started on hiprex in an attempt to help uti problem, Has anyone had a solution or advice on this problem?

Llamas99 Sun 13-Sept-26 10:20:47

Yes, I've had this problem and the urologist had to dilate my urethra tube often. I've always had this small urethra tube and it caused many UTIs. Haven't had it done in years but I need to check it out. Hope you get some relief from this problem!

Elegran Sun 13-Sept-26 10:56:37

I have seen advice to people with MS (who often have this problem and the UTIs it leads to) to make a fist with one hand, place it over the bladder - on the outside , obviously! - and the other hand on top of it, and press down with them as the stream of urine slows down. I don't know how well this works at emptying the rest, but it is worth trying.

aggie Sun 13-Sept-26 11:15:25

Sit squarely on the loo , you might need a small step , like the kids use
Make sure your knees are higher than your hips
Lean forward with your elbows on your knees
When the stream stops sit up straight for a minute then go back to elbows on knees

MT62 Sun 13-Sept-26 11:17:12

Sit properly on the loo, twist gently from side to side, then lean forward that should help, (that tip is from an Australian urologist physiotherapist)
Also I use a bit of paper pressed against my flue, that helps release urine.
I have Botox once a year in my bladder wall.

friendlygingercat Sun 13-Sept-26 11:24:18

I ise the loo with my feet on a small box and bend forward - it feels a bit odd at first but it makes emptying the bladder and bowel a lot easier.

Thoro Sun 13-Sept-26 11:24:18

I've been prescribed oestrogen pessaries to help with my frequent uti's caused by having a catheter for two months while in cardiac ICU after heart surgery

Lovetopaint037 Mon 14-Sept-26 10:01:57

Thank you so much everyone. I am going to try all of these suggestions. I have been prescribed vagirux for twice a week. I already have an upside down bowl that I use for my feet when emptying my bowel but had t thought of using it for a wee. I have screen shot your posts so will try all of them.

MT62 Mon 14-Sept-26 10:14:24

friendlygingercat

I ise the loo with my feet on a small box and bend forward - it feels a bit odd at first but it makes emptying the bladder and bowel a lot easier.

Yes I have heard that too.
They say us humans sit wrong.
That we should squat down.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 14-Sept-26 14:17:15

aggie

Sit squarely on the loo , you might need a small step , like the kids use
Make sure your knees are higher than your hips
Lean forward with your elbows on your knees
When the stream stops sit up straight for a minute then go back to elbows on knees

I do this and also was shown a breathing technique. When you think you've finished, relax lean forward breathe slowly invthrough your nose and blow gently out through your lips after a few breaths you pee. I told my DH who complained he never empties in one go and it works for him as well.

Granless Mon 14-Sept-26 14:56:43

So ….. what should a male do to empty his bladder? 🥴

NotSpaghetti Mon 14-Sept-26 15:12:58

Try what Tooyoungytobeagrandma says?

Elegran Mon 14-Sept-26 17:01:57

Granless

So ….. what should a male do to empty his bladder? 🥴

I have seen advice to people with MS (who often have this problem and the UTIs it leads to) to make a fist with one hand, place it over the bladder - on the outside , obviously! - and the other hand on top of it, and press down with them as the stream of urine slows down. I don't know how well this works at emptying the rest, but it is worth trying.

The other suggestions could be applied by males, too, perhaps with some adjustments. Don't forget that there is nothing to stop males sitting down to pee, and they may find that helps (but watch out while aiming!) Speaking to the GP about prostates may be the best move.

win Mon 14-Sept-26 18:43:52

aggie

Sit squarely on the loo , you might need a small step , like the kids use
Make sure your knees are higher than your hips
Lean forward with your elbows on your knees
When the stream stops sit up straight for a minute then go back to elbows on knees

This or stand up but obviously over the toilet. works for me every time.

veejay Mon 14-Sept-26 23:45:10

I have I this problem and a nurse told me to stand up and do the action of using a huld hoop as she said your bladder is tonf and it needs that rotating action it doesn't always work but otherwise I feel I have to try to squeeze it out , straining a bit Going to mention this problem to my Dr when I see him on the 30th for a steroid injection in my knee I have just had very painful UTi ,it took 3lots of antibiotics to clear it, The firstt didn't agree with me and I ended up on urgent care , after taking only 1 I went freezing cold and had to go to bed with electric blanket on to get warm, felt ok second day but happened again, so put on 2 ,pre lots until it went, that was for 3weeks,never felt so ill

veejay Mon 14-Sept-26 23:46:06

Bladder is round should say

Lovetopaint037 Tue 15-Sept-26 00:26:39

Thank you all again. I am trying everything.