Gransnet forums

Health

Nausea waking me during the night due to anxiety

(18 Posts)
CazB Mon 14-Sept-26 10:52:29

I have always felt queasy when waking up, but for the last few months nausea wakes me in the early hours of the morning. Doctors think this is due to anxiety, but I don't feel anxious when I go to bed. I am going through a difficult time now, due to a proposed house move, but the nausea started before that. I have been prescribed Mirtazapine 22mgs which helped a bit at first, though not now. I'm becoming increasingly worried and would love to hear from others who have had this problem.

CarrotTop Mon 14-Sept-26 11:25:40

If this is any help, my appetite decreases dramatically when I'm anxious. An empty stomach can feel like nausea, so I've learned to eat a little something when I wake up in the night feeling sick. Have a think about what you're eating and when. It might help a little.
House moves are a bind and I don't envy you. But eventually it'll be over and you'll be able to sit in your new place and recover from the sheer drudgery of it all!

M0nica Mon 14-Sept-26 12:06:46

Anxiety and stress will nearly always intensify, when you are anxious and or stressed. In the last 18 months we have been dealing with the house purchase/sale stress, house renovation stress, plus DH's poor health.

I am prone to hyperventilating when stressed. the main symptom is heavy breathing as if you are out of breath. Last year, according to DD I was walking around all the time chuffing like a train. Over breathing causes dizziness and I was reeling, and very usteady on my feet

This year most of our problems are resolved, and I am breathing normally most of the time, just the occasional bout.

I am sure you will find a similar pattern with your nausea, although CarrotTop's suggestion of eating something small, possibly a ginger biscuit is seems very sensible.

HowVeryDareYou2 Mon 14-Sept-26 12:14:46

Moving house is very stressful. You're probably anxious without realising it. It's a good idea to eat a biscuit.

How are you on 22mg of Mirtazapine? The tablets are 15mg, 30mg and 45mg.

paddyann54 Mon 14-Sept-26 12:29:35

Magnesium bisglycinate. an hour before bedtime ,Should help

Oreo Mon 14-Sept-26 13:32:41

CarrotTop

If this is any help, my appetite decreases dramatically when I'm anxious. An empty stomach can feel like nausea, so I've learned to eat a little something when I wake up in the night feeling sick. Have a think about what you're eating and when. It might help a little.
House moves are a bind and I don't envy you. But eventually it'll be over and you'll be able to sit in your new place and recover from the sheer drudgery of it all!

Good advice.
A light snack before bedtime is a good idea too, cereal or toast.
The stomach is never empty, it contains acid sloshing around and awaiting its next meal to digest, so that can make you nauseous during the night.

CazB Mon 14-Sept-26 17:20:26

Thank you for the advice. I tried a snack at bedtime but it didn't help, will try again with some toast. Strangely enough I am mostly all right during the day, and my appetite is good.

Redactrice Tue 15-Sept-26 14:05:46

Maybe try clean ashwagandha (but give it time to work)? It cured my chronic anxiety state. I also take clean magnesium (a blend, although others recommend magnesium glycinate).

FranP Tue 15-Sept-26 14:28:11

It may well be related to anxiety, but my guess is that the anxiety is helping you to full wake when the nausea hits, rather than being the primary cause.

My nausea was caused by acid reflux. Omeprazole prescribed.

Milky drink helps when it is too bad, but no carbs after 8 helped too. But these masked the symptoms of gall stones for years. It was a check on my back that found these.

MooM00 Tue 15-Sept-26 15:46:28

CazB I am also in the process of moving house. I am finding it very stressful. I don't have sickness but wake up with anxiety. I also take mirtazapine but don't find it helps much.

Gwyllt Tue 15-Sept-26 19:18:53

Give relaxation a go with deep breathing apparently it stimulates the vagus nerve and can also help relieve nausea
Breath in for 4 hold for 7 and breath out slowly for 7 I only hold breath for count of three
After my last heart op I would wake in the night in a panic It certainly helped me and it’s drug free and costs nothing

Gwyllt Tue 15-Sept-26 19:24:00

Also doing something helps take your mind off being awake

winterwhite Tue 15-Sept-26 19:52:30

Redactrice what is ‘clean’ ashwaganda (as opposed to unclean)?

OldFrill Tue 15-Sept-26 20:00:23

In some people Mirtazapine can heighten anxiety. As can Amitriptyline (which is also prescribed for anxiety). It had this affect on me when l was prescribed it for neuralgia. Magnesium glycinate (it's the glycinate) can also trigger anxiety - I used it successfully for insomnia but can't take it anymore as I started waking up experiencing a full blown panic attack.

Plevey08 Tue 15-Sept-26 20:51:05

It could possibly be acid reflux. Maybe try 2 Gaviscon e Extra before bed. Dehydrated can cause nausea too.

SuzyQqq Wed 16-Sept-26 07:07:06

My nighttime acid reflux started in the same way . No daytime symptoms but waking at 2 ish feeling sick and then after several months I’d start waking and being sick . I take an omeprazole every day and avoid fatty foods in the evening and too much acidity ( wine, tomatoes etc) as these set it off .

Buddleja Wed 16-Sept-26 12:27:41

Obviously check out medical issues but on the topic of anxiety it is important to deal with it as it arises. Otherwise you can go to sleep with high levels of cortisol without realising it. Then when the adenosine goes down during the night the cortisol wakes you up. The advice seems to be that we should address the anxiety during the day and avoid allowing it to build up.

Plevey08 Wed 16-Sept-26 21:15:26

I have, sort of tried that with overthinking Buddleja. I read somewhere that you can train your brain to have a worry period eg 20 mins. In the morning, or whenever it suits. If you find (as many do) that you start feeling anxious or overthinking, say late evening, or worse still, at bedtime, you tell yourself no I'm not doing that now, I'll do it for 20mins in the morning. It doesn't work all the time but it can help. It has for me.