Gransnet forums

Health

Mobility aid

(16 Posts)
daisyannah Fri 18-Sept-26 13:27:10

Can anyone recommend a mobility aid specifically for helping someone push themselves up from a sitting position on the edge of a fold-up bed which is quite low into standing upright. This isn’t for moving around the bed or sitting up from a laying position — just something sturdy to hold onto or push against when transitioning from standing up from the bed.

If you’ve used anything that worked well, or have suggestions on what to look for, I’d appreciate your advice.

silverlining48 Fri 18-Sept-26 14:01:49

When I had a hip replacement I got a raised metal handle which fitted under the mattress which I used to pull myself up . It was about 9” wide and worked well.
However not sure if a fold up bed woukd be sturdy enough to take the pressure.

winterwhite Fri 18-Sept-26 15:31:19

This does sound tricky. Could the person crawl to a normal height bed or sofa and pull themselves up that way?

daisyannah Fri 18-Sept-26 15:52:16

Silverlining48, I had THR last year and now have slightly dodgy knees. Lack of mobility after the op has left me with legs/knees that have lost a bit of strength (am trying exercises but will take a while I suspect!) Not quite sure what you mean by metal handle - is that like a bed rail? Some of the videos I have seen for bed rails show they help in general bed manoeuvrability but not the hauling oneself up to a standing position.

Winterwhite, Unfortunately not enough space, no other bed or sofa in the room and bad knees! But might suit someone else.
Thank you both.

Bigred18 Fri 18-Sept-26 16:46:58

I recently saw a TV ad for a flat square thingy with two arms that can be tucked under a sofa cushion to do exactly what you want. I presume it could be tucked under a mattress.

saltnshake Fri 18-Sept-26 16:58:27

Try careco.co.uk They have branches across UK. You can look online and they do a catalogue. There are other mobility shops that do similar products. Hopefully you'll find exactly what you want.

silverlining48 Fri 18-Sept-26 17:09:04

I used mine to get into and out of bed and found it helped as I am short and my bed is a bit high. It was narrow metal, rounded to enable an easy hold and about a foot higher than the mattress. I have seen similar by googling , assume you have looked online?
If you are having problems with hips and/ or knees have a look at our hip and knee thread.
It’s on the health forum , look out for the dancing girls 👯‍♀️
We are onto our 7 th series, but it’s not often on the active page, so just ask any questions there and there are many with experience who do their best to help.

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Sept-26 17:33:40

Can you add another mattress to make it higher?

shysal Fri 18-Sept-26 18:19:24

Here are some standing aids, any use?
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=mobility+standing+aid&_sacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p4624852.m570.l1313

crazyH Fri 18-Sept-26 18:57:20

Place 2 pillows on the floor -:slide on to them with your knees on the pillows - go on all fours - then lift yourself up with your hands and feet, if you know what I mean . Good luck

daisyannah Fri 18-Sept-26 20:17:14

Sounds hopeful but I have no idea what to look for unfortunately.

daisyannah Fri 18-Sept-26 20:39:04

Silverlining48 - I shall check out the hip and knee thread as still just cant visualise what you describe.

Jaxjack - the extra mattress sounds like a good idea. I will definitely think on that.

Shysal - the ebay link looks like it has some good suggestions.

CrazyH - don't know if my knees would allow but might be worth a go.

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Cressida Fri 18-Sept-26 20:48:16

I wonder if this frame from Amazon would work for you as it has handles at different heights

www.amazon.co.uk/Lightweight-Hi-Riser-Walking-Folding-Zimmer/dp/B00Q6SGEJG?smid=A8SJUPR55ZCMF&psc=1&ref_=fplfs&source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&tag=gransnetforum-21

Gwyllt Fri 18-Sept-26 22:48:59

Different version and cheaper to the add another mattress. Son put wooden blocks at each corner and in middle. Worked well

daisyannah Sat 19-Sept-26 19:19:10

The different heights aspect is good. Will look into that also. Not much fun getting older innit :-)

Franbern Sun 20-Sept-26 09:09:09

But we who are getting/already old are far more fortunate than those of our generation did not make it!!!!

I have a very sturdy walking cane, with the base being four small legs, so quite stable, and it also has a second fold-up handle which means that I can use both hands when getting up from sitting anywhere low.