Gransnet forums

Health

What medicine do you remember always having in your childhood medicine cabinet?

(33 Posts)
Dreading Sun 04-Oct-26 15:53:27

Calpol

LadyGracie Sun 04-Oct-26 19:14:11

Aquaflavin (? spelling) for cuts and scrapes, I loved the smell.
Paraffin gauze.

OldFrill Sun 04-Oct-26 19:02:12

Horse Liniment. Black & White box, can't remember the name and can't find it online. It stank.

HowVeryDareYou2 Sun 04-Oct-26 18:46:00

Benalyn cough mixture, kaolin&morphine, Ex-Lax, a stick of something that my dad dabbed on any cuts after shaving.
Andrew's liver salts, Germolene, TCP

OldFrill Sun 04-Oct-26 18:42:38

Calpol was available from 1959. My mother wouldn't have trusted it for at least 50 years.

OldFrill Sun 04-Oct-26 18:40:47

Junior aspirin, l think they were orange.

JdotJ Sun 04-Oct-26 18:33:53

Andrews liver salts

Moth62 Sun 04-Oct-26 18:32:38

Tyrozets were the pink throat tablets

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-26 18:28:48

Oh yes! Kaolin and morphine. Ha ha.
And (maybe later??) Dr Collis Brown.

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 18:27:06

ginny

Dr.Collis Browne.
Honey , Lemon & Ipicacuana, cough syrup.
Children’s asprin , orange flavour. I think they may have been called something like Angiers.
There was also a liquid that was dabbed onto bruises but I can’t remember what it was called.

I think the liquid was iodine.

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 18:26:06

No calpol back then.
Kaolin and morphine, milk of magnesia, Andrew’s liver salts, germolene.

teabagwoman Sun 04-Oct-26 18:16:22

Mags were they Dequadin lozenges? They were always in our medicine cabinet. We had most of the things mentioned above as well as Enos and Minadex. We were always made to drink Bengers Food whatever illness we had.

Liaise Sun 04-Oct-26 18:09:54

Beechams powders.

watermeadow Sun 04-Oct-26 18:02:51

We were given calcium tablets (no milk where we lived) and cod liver oil capsules.
Calamine lotion for chicken pox.
Penicillin was injected, not in disgusting liquid as when my children were young.
Our mother was not obsessed with laxatives but I knew children who had to have a poo everyday after breakfast.

JamesandJon33 Sun 04-Oct-26 18:00:19

Vick, Syrup of figs, Cod liver oil. Scott’s Emulsion and Milk of Magnesia

sodapop Sun 04-Oct-26 17:51:54

Germolene
Syrup of Figs, no matter what ailed you Syrup of Figs would cure it.
TCP
Seems we mostly had the same things in our cupboards then.

ginny Sun 04-Oct-26 17:49:01

I remember! Witch Hazel .

ginny Sun 04-Oct-26 17:47:48

Dr.Collis Browne.
Honey , Lemon & Ipicacuana, cough syrup.
Children’s asprin , orange flavour. I think they may have been called something like Angiers.
There was also a liquid that was dabbed onto bruises but I can’t remember what it was called.

MollyNew Sun 04-Oct-26 17:41:34

Germolene
Kaolin poultice
Haliborange
Gripe water for babies
A big spoonful of cod liver oil and malt every night in the Winter

loopyloo Sun 04-Oct-26 17:40:23

Zambuk. If I grazed a knee, mother would wash it and use this ointment

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-26 17:36:28

Germoline
Olive Oil
Syrup of Marshmallow
And later - Buttercup Syrup.

MaggsMcG Sun 04-Oct-26 17:35:26

Syrup of figs. Milk of Magnesia. Germoline. Asprin. Disprin. Junior Disprin or Asprin (it was orange) and Haliborange.
TCP. Some pink throat tablets that really did a good job but I cant remember what they were called, not Strepsils.

Squiffy Sun 04-Oct-26 17:33:58

Parrish’s Food Iron Tonic was a regular in our house. It was supposed to build you up. We then switched to Iron Jelloids. Like others, a dollop of cod liver oil and malt was also dispensed - I quite liked that!

MayBee70 Sun 04-Oct-26 17:27:26

Californian syrup of figs ( I loved the taste) and Andrew’s Liver Salts. Calamine lotion; probably for chicken pox as I can’t remember getting sunburn as a child.

Sarnia Sun 04-Oct-26 17:06:25

Virol. A delicious sticky malt given by the spoonful daily. It was meant to build babies and children up after the war and rationing years. As I have never been an ideal weight it certainly did the trick with me.
Cod Liver Capsules These dreadful things took over from Virol when I was about 7. I was always scared one would burst before I swallowed it.
Californian Syrup of Figs. A large spoonful every Friday night whether I needed it or not. My parents generation were obsessed with the bowels.

tanith Sun 04-Oct-26 16:50:28

Calamine lotion