Gransnet forums

Health

Thumb Arthritis

(4 Posts)
Oldbutstilluseful Thu 08-Oct-26 07:54:04

I have had successful trapeziotomy (? spelling) operations on both thumbs. The recovery period was 6 weeks wearing a splint. The operations were definitely worth it. No more pain and completely normal use of hands once healed.
The operation took place with a nerve block and I had no problems during or afterwards.
I just used the splint provided by the hospital and found that perfectly adequate.

tanith Thu 08-Oct-26 07:52:31

I’ve had this in the past as I have a lot of joints affected with O/A I took pain relief and bought a wrist with splint which fitted round the thumb which helped but the pain eventually stopped and now I get the occasional twinge but it’s not bad.

BlueBelle Thu 08-Oct-26 07:41:37

My thumbs are sore too and I have a painful right knee but I don’t want surgery only as a very, very last resort and from what I hear the injections are quite short lasting.
So I m looking in to alternatives if I find anything I ll let you know Lizbeth

Lizbeth59 Thu 08-Oct-26 07:13:35

Hello. Im suffering with a painful right thumb. Ive had a scan and been diagnosed with CMC Arthritis. I had a steriod injection in March which wasnt pleasant but helped for a few months. The consultant I saw last has suggested surgery but im really putoff by the long recovery period. Has anyone had this type of surgery and also can I have suggestions of really good thumb braces. Ive heard one called Push Orthopaedic but it doesnt look very comfortable. Thank you in advance