Gransnet forums

Health

Ailments of Old Age (light hearted)

(7 Posts)
SpinDriftCoastal Sun 11-Oct-26 17:00:58

I had to fill out a medical form today and wrote down the following: IBS, Prolapse, Acid Reflux, Insomnia, Depression, Sight in one eye and that has huge floaters that drift across like clouds. All the friends around me of the same age seem to be as fit as fiddles! My dad and granny were met at 70 by old age so I am not surprised. Perhaps it runs in the family.

Cossy Sun 11-Oct-26 17:51:06

I’m sure it runs in families, I appear to be getting the same issues as my mum, hers started at a similar age, I’m almost 68, she managed to make it to 86 despite drinking alcohol each day and smoking since the age of 14!

I’ve never smoked, two smoking parents in the home was quite enough to put me off for life. I do enjoy the odd tipple very much, but all during the week normally.

Ashcombe Sun 11-Oct-26 18:05:37

I was quite well up until the age of 70, despite having hypertensioon, hearing aids and having had one hip resurfaced and another replaced. Now I can add glaucoma, reflux, hyponatremia and arthritic knees. In 2022, I suffered a small stroke during open heart surgery for a mitral valve repair and I have heart failure. Nevertheless, I try to remain active and still play the piano and volunteer at a local amateur theatre.

Oreo Sun 11-Oct-26 18:26:07

Old age doesn’t come alone, as they say.😬

ferry23 Sun 11-Oct-26 18:37:19

Someone else to me "How are you?"

Me: "How long have you got?"

kittylester Sun 11-Oct-26 19:24:04

I have a few of those irritating things but I have friends who have terminal diseases (and have already lost a couple of very dear friends) so count myself lucky that I only have 'minor issues' to contend with.

petra Sun 11-Oct-26 20:43:29

I often wonder where my good health comes from.
I was a heavy smoker until I was 50. Done my share of partying.
My parents died youngish ( drink related) Everyone on my father’s side had bad hearts and died before tgey reached old age. My mother’s parents both died of TB.
I’ve just turned 80 and all I have to take is thyroxine.
Perhaps it’s the luck of the draw 🤷‍♀️