Gransnet forums

Health

Thinning skin

(8 Posts)
Nannyben61 Sat 22-Jul-17 18:40:12

I seem to have got very thin skin lately especially on my arms and hands. I only have to knock against something and either get a bruise or tear the skin. I'm not on steroids which I know can cause this but am out in the sun a lot. Anyone know how to deal with this please?

whitewave Sat 22-Jul-17 18:43:14

I think the front of my legs are heading that way. My mum has very thin skin, and has had for donkeys years, so I'm thinking it is hereditary.

She is always very careful if she breaks the skin as I think she was told Yonkers ago that ulcers may be an issue.

farview Sat 22-Jul-17 19:20:23

have this problem too..am black&blue sometimes..have had a lot of pre skin cancers and the consultant said my thin skin was also due to sun damage..(am not a sunbather..am a gardener and also lived in Africa pre skin cancer awareness!).

Nannyben61 Sun 23-Jul-17 09:41:18

I'm a gardener too and very lax in putting sun cream on my arms. Think now it's probably too late to reverse the damage.

Lazigirl Sun 23-Jul-17 09:55:11

I think people with "good" skin generally have inherited it, it's like many health issues and genes play a huge part. It tends to be those of us with very fair skin that are more prone to skin cancers, burning and thinning and bruising as we age. I have friends with darker skin who can sunbathe to their hearts content, and always look young as well. I think it's important to moisturise well, especially face and legs, and I always wear sun block on face, and oil based stuff on legs.

Liz46 Sun 23-Jul-17 09:57:00

I bruise very easily and dramatically! My mum had thin skin and I think I must have inherited it. Steroids for asthma probably haven't helped.

TriciaF Sun 23-Jul-17 17:38:01

Do any of you take 'blood thinners'? eg Plavix or aspirin. That results in bruising easily too.
My skin is like that, especially on the shins - the tiniest tap and a bruise come up.Try icing the place as soon as possible.
Massage the skin regularly with a cream containing lanolin paraffin VitE etc. Also Ialuset ( if you can get it in the UK.)

silverlining48 Sun 23-Jul-17 17:47:00

My husband woke recently with what looked like massive bruises on his arms. He hadn't knocked it so we couldn't understand where they had come from. The gp told him it was senile bruising, very common in Older people and he has these come up now on a fairly regular basis. They disappear as quickly as they appear.