Gransnet forums

Health

Thrush

(30 Posts)
Elliebeth Sat 26-Aug-17 10:21:39

I have thrush after taking two lots of antibiotics. This has happened before and rather than bother the GP yesterday thought I would just get a canestan 1 tablet from the chemist this morning. However because I am over 60 they won't let me have one so am stuck now till Tuesday. I am taking Yakult but other than that wondered if anyone knows any home remedys I could try till I can get a script .Thanks

tanith Sat 26-Aug-17 10:23:45

What has being over 60 got to do with it I wonder? ?

MissAdventure Sat 26-Aug-17 10:24:58

You can use natural yogurt on a tampon. Its strange, the 'over 60s' rule..

MissAdventure Sat 26-Aug-17 10:26:12

I think that when I asked why, its because an over 60 person should really go to the doctor rather than assuming its only thrush.

harrigran Sat 26-Aug-17 10:27:05

All symptoms in over 60s could be potentially more sinister so they insist you see a GP.

Elliebeth Sat 26-Aug-17 10:37:39

That was the reason they gave that it could be something else so do appreciate they were just being careful. Thought I was saving bothering the GP but will know in future. Will go and get some plain yoghurt, don't think strawberry would do !!

gillybob Sat 26-Aug-17 10:48:51

Avoid washing with normal soap and water . Buy some over the counter gentle intimate wash which won't further irritate the area. Loose clothes ( no tight jeans). I can't see why you couldn't buy a tube of Canesten from a supermarket (most sell it) will at least ease the iritation until you see the GP. Poor you .

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 11:16:48

I find it's only boots that have the over 60 rule I get things they refuse me at other pharmacists I can understand this if it's a new problem with new symptoms but when it something you ve had before and know what it is surely we re all intelligent enough either it's over the counter mess or it's not
Get a younger friend to buy it for you or tell them your 58

BlueBelle Sat 26-Aug-17 11:20:14

Meds not mess I wish this iPad didn't think it knew best

lemongrove Sat 26-Aug-17 11:30:46

Did not know about this over 60 thing, have to try other outlets than Boots.
Wash undies in Surcare only and be careful in the shower not to use perfumed gels.

ninathenana Sat 26-Aug-17 11:36:11

At the risk of sounding like the prophet of doom. If it persists get your blood sugars tested.

Elliebeth Sat 26-Aug-17 13:37:29

Thanks everyone. It was a local chemist I tried first, then rang boots afterwards. 58 might be a stretch Bluebelle, I'm nearly 68 ! I use aqueous cream for those bits in the shower anyway as have to be careful with creams and am now lazing about in loose trousers. I think they should let you have it but with a warning, then it's up to you. Thought I was saving the GP an appointment but backfired. Will have to be a script on Tuesday if it doesn't settle.

Crafting Sat 26-Aug-17 14:12:26

I am amazed you couldn't get a pessary over 60. What a strange thing to say. I think get this problem every time I take antibiotics. It won't help you now (sorry) but next time you have antibiotics, tell the GP they give you thrush and ask them to also give you a script for some tablets that will prevent you getting thrush at the same time. (Sorry I can't remember what these tablets are called but the GP should know)

Marydoll Sat 26-Aug-17 14:46:56

Ithink the oral medication is called Nystatin.

I always ask for a script for Canestan, when I get antibiotics. Saves bothering my GP twice.

bikergran Sat 26-Aug-17 15:32:23

I believe pure coconut cream has certain properties...just google natural remedies..

petra Sat 26-Aug-17 16:21:11

For as long as possible go without any underwear and wear a skirt.
If it gets to the unbearable stage, get in the bath, it relieves it for a while.
I'm ok now but many years ago I could have written the book on thrush.
Also cut down on all sugars. That means alcohol as well, all sugars

petra Sat 26-Aug-17 16:22:53

I meant to add, get to your doctor for an oral tablet. Thrush starts in the gut.

Deborahuns Sat 26-Aug-17 22:35:29

Also buy acidophilus plus from the health food shop and take twice a day . Avoid things that ferment like cheese, mushrooms , bread, wine and go with the yogurt. Cotton underwear, no tights and soap free washing stuff or there's a very soothing wash gel called canesfresh.
I'm an old hand and I start all of this the minute I get itchy and then avoid needing anything like bystanders of diflucan. Good luck

Elliebeth Sun 27-Aug-17 11:28:39

Just to update, following on from what bikergran said I remembered I had some coconut oil which I use for dryness. Had a quick shower with the aqueous cream then put coconut oil on a pant liner and whilst it is still there is not as bad this morning. Also didn't have the Yakult this morning as it is full of sugar and no wine last night. Desperate to get rid of it as going on holiday next Sunday.

Cold Sun 27-Aug-17 15:28:44

You can get the Canestan cream over the counter - it contains a milder substance than the strong oral tablets that have a whole list of side effects and medicine interactions

mumofmadboys Sun 27-Aug-17 17:11:06

Have you a daughter or younger friend who can go and buy canesten pessaries for you and pretend they are for her? Alternatively ring the out of hours doctors and ask them to do a script for you to pick up.

bikergran Sun 27-Aug-17 17:58:18

Meant to say if you buy the solid coconut cream (in a jar) you can buy 100% organic virgin.. from b n m stores for around £3.99 apparently (I have read) that you just quickly shape it into (well any shape) and pop it in..!! but wear a panty liner to stop it dribbling out..! hmm

If you google im sure there will be a better explanation.

I have used pure coconut oil for a fungal nail infection and after about 6 weeks it started to sort it out.

MamaCaz Sun 27-Aug-17 20:23:01

Find a shop with a young assistant, look indignant when you are asked your age, then lie! Anyone over 50 looks ancient to a twenty-year-old, so they will be used to such a reaction from fifty-somethings, so are unlikely to challenge your claim.
I was asked that question when still in my forties, so although my age was genuine, so was my indignation! However I had failed the "have you taken anything for thrush in the last six months?' question in the first shop, so at least knew what the 'correct" answer to that was when I got to this second shop. grin

MamaCaz Sun 27-Aug-17 20:25:19

But if asked if you have proof of age, don't reach for your bus pass grin

Cold Sun 27-Aug-17 23:15:27

mumofmadboys Have you a daughter or younger friend who can go and buy canesten pessaries for you and pretend they are for her?

I don't think OP is talking about the pessaries but about the "once" oral tablets