Gransnet forums

Health

What not to wear/wash? Say NO to fleece.

(86 Posts)
NanaNancy Fri 27-Apr-18 06:22:59

I am guilty of having fleece jackets and even one pull over. But now it is time to say good-bye to fleece. Not because I am being the fashion police but because of the negative effects fleece has on the environment. I did not know that fibers in our clothes could be poisoning our waterways and food chain on a massive scale.

According to research,
“These microfibers then travel to your local wastewater treatment plant, where up to 40% of them enter rivers, lakes and oceans,” please read up on this topic on the internet.

So what if we all got together and said, goodbye fleece! It was a nice run, but wool is warmer and does not come from or shed plastics.

Could we all start to make a "difference"? Grannies Unite!

Greenfinch Fri 27-Apr-18 06:55:10

Thanks for this info.I don't have any fleece at the moment but certainly won't buy any more.

Willow500 Fri 27-Apr-18 07:09:48

I didn't know this either but unfortunately can't wear wool so the fleece stays - on the plus side I don't wear if very often so it doesn't get washed much!

gillybob Fri 27-Apr-18 07:41:24

Yes you’re right NanaNancy we had a campaign in our WI at the end of last year.
I do have one old fleece that I use in the garden but I won’t be buying any more and I’m now very reluctant to even wash the one I have.

Megram Fri 27-Apr-18 07:48:32

Thanks Nananancy, I didn't know about this. Perhaps this will make my hubby stop wearing the fleece that he lives in!

Greyduster Fri 27-Apr-18 08:32:22

Sorry, I realise I will be castigated for this, but I am not prepared to get rid of my fleeces yet. They stand up to wear and tear better than wool sweaters.

Panache Fri 27-Apr-18 08:33:03

It is not really in favour with me although true to say I did have one fleece jacket which served me well,but having read these comments, I am less likely to even consider another garment in this fleece.
We live and learn for sure......thanks for the tip Nananancy.

Situpstraight Fri 27-Apr-18 08:35:25

I think you can buy a bag to put them in when you wash them, to keep the fibres in, I’m trying to find it on Dr Google,,,,,

Situpstraight Fri 27-Apr-18 08:47:19

Ok found it, not sure if I’m allowed to say the name of it but it’s called a Guppy Bag, it’s quite expensive, but if you were going to throw your fleeces away then i guess it’s a saving straight away. Not sure where to buy it in the UK though. Maybe there are other ones available? The irony is that the bag is Plastic!
But it seems to work according to the reports.

Situpstraight Fri 27-Apr-18 08:48:19

In case Gransnet delete the above post, if you google Micro fleece washing bag, you will find one to buy.

Greyduster Fri 27-Apr-18 08:48:35

Patagonia do a bag called a Guppy Friend. Twenty five pounds. Reduces fibres lost in washing.

Eglantine21 Fri 27-Apr-18 08:51:41

NanaNancy, when you have discarded your fleeces what do you do with them.? I took this decision a couple of months ago but if I take them to the tip will they just be recycled?
Or put them into landfill? Will they break down into the environment there.
Is it like nuclear waste, there forever? I’d really appreciate some help with this. At the moment I have a pile of fleeces, little snuggly blankets, a dressing gown, even my little slipperettes. I didn’t realise I had so much fleece!

Nannylovesshopping Fri 27-Apr-18 08:53:31

Maybe wash fleece by hand and dispose water in garden?

Situpstraight Fri 27-Apr-18 08:56:50

Water in the garden will leech into the watercourse, definitely a no no.

Greyduster Fri 27-Apr-18 09:07:42

Yes but wouldn’t the soil have a filtering effect? It has to go through a lot of soil before it gets to the water course. Even the bags don’t filter out all the particles.

winterwhite Fri 27-Apr-18 09:16:01

So we all give up our fleeces but the waterways continue to be poisoned by run off from fertilisers and industrial processes, what next? It would be good to know how serious a contaminant (is this a word?) these microfibres are in the grand scale of things. 40% of the fibres x how many fleeces = what per cent of the pollution? I think we need more information before throwing out serviceable garments and risk being told next that dry cleaning fluid, or fabric conditioner are equally harmful confused

Teetime Fri 27-Apr-18 09:20:52

I really don't like fleeces anyway but have two microfleeces for golf- once they have worn out I wont be buying anymore. I always remember Trinny and Susannah saying the only being a fleece looked good on was a sheep.

Izabella Fri 27-Apr-18 09:39:35

Oh dear. Guilty as charged and a houseful of fleece clothing. Wool is a total no no for me and finances dictate I cannot afford to get rid of my stock of fleeces. Looks like they will have to last me out and /or be replaced with cotton.

I did make a stand some time ago with winter duvet type coats when I found out that many of the feather linings are from feathers pulled from live birds This is done three or four times - resulting in great pain and infection - or until they no longer feather up or die.

Jaycee5 Fri 27-Apr-18 09:45:53

Not all fleeces contain plastic. Patagonia have confirmed that theres don't.
Worth checking before you give up on them.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 27-Apr-18 09:48:28

I've known this for a while. Initially I was really happy to learn that fleeces are made from recycled washing up liquid bottles. Great way of recycling plastic I thought. Then I found out about the fibres being released every time you wash them and realised that plastic, once created never goes away. I've still got three ancient fleece jackets that I wear for gardening and don't want to dispose of them so will look into getting one if those wash bags and hope it works.
By the way, it's not just fleece, it's any man made fabric, polyester, acrylic etc.

Jaycee5 Fri 27-Apr-18 09:49:37

Some companies make it from 100% cotton.

SillyNanny321 Fri 27-Apr-18 09:55:52

Volunteering in a charity shop I wear a fleece over a t shirt as I have to unpack a lot of grubby books from bookbanks.
These then go straight in the washing machine as they wear & wash easily. So guilty but will not give up the fleeces until more is proved!

Granny1sland Fri 27-Apr-18 09:56:48

I wear fleeces all the time when working out on the farm (am rubbish at washing wool sweaters). Anyway if the vegans manage to stop everyone ‘exploiting’ animals, there won’t be any wool to make sweaters from. It’s not viable to keep sheep for wool only as the wool price is so low.

Shinyredcar Fri 27-Apr-18 10:24:55

It's complicated isn't it? We have already made the plastic, so re-using or recycling it is an obviously good idea. But then the lightweight, warm, cheerfully coloured and non-going-grey white fabric causes issues when it is washed. My frail mother could wear fleece when everything else was too heavy. (We couldn't afford silk or cashmere!)

It's all about the Law of Unintended Consequences, which seems to govern most human activity. No one thinks beyond the immediate next step. I have spent the last 50 years trying to persuade people there is no 'away' to throw things into. I try not to get too depressed about it. At least we are aware and talking about it now!

sandelf Fri 27-Apr-18 10:34:27

Wash them less, find a wash bag. Throwing away does not really solve anything.