Gransnet forums

Health

going back onHRT?

(39 Posts)
mamapat Sun 06-Jan-19 19:34:58

I was on both Birth control pill and HRT while in my early 40s.Then just on HRT,gradually weaned off.Not taken for at least 15 years,I am nearly 67 and getting loads of weird symptoms,steaming hot at night(even in winter)as if my temperature gauge has gone kaput.Light headed/headachy,lethargic,depressed, during the day.(and this is apart from vaginal dryness(have oestrogen suppositries)and the facial hair,whiskers have gone mad.I really want to go back on HRT Im sure I will feel better,but dont know if the Dr will allow.Is it worth asking?

varian Sun 06-Jan-19 19:37:20

Yes

paddyann Sun 06-Jan-19 19:45:11

I've been on it for over 10 years now and my sister who will be 70 this year is still on it.We've both been told by a gynaecologist we can stay on it for life....if we want .So ask and as long as you know any risks and are happy to take them they should let you go back on it .Good luck,I know I dont want to be without my patches,so I hope you get yours back.

varian Sun 06-Jan-19 20:00:52

My GP told me she has a patient in her late eighties still on HRT

mamapat Sun 06-Jan-19 20:07:20

Thanks for your replys.I am going to see what the Dr says. I feel it in myself that I will feel better,certainly can't feel any worse.

Iam64 Sun 06-Jan-19 21:23:40

I wish I’d ignored the doctor who said I should stop

B9exchange Sun 06-Jan-19 21:35:12

I have been on it for 26 years, and hope to stay on it for life, have tried to come off, both cutting down and suddenly, but symptoms come back. I had a Godmother whose hot flushes continued until she died at 98. Why put yourself through that. Go to your appointment with current research in your pocket that the small risks are offset by avoiding osteoporosis, Alzheimers etc. Regain your life! smile

Sheshyshowshum Sun 06-Jan-19 21:38:12

My doctor took me off HRT last year, she said ten years was long enough. I still have the odd hot moment, but nothing like I hear others have. Plus it’s supposed to be good for our bone density too, so wouldn’t have minded it even for that reason.

Fennel Mon 07-Jan-19 09:06:08

I use Vagifem ,because of vaginal dryness. It's a hormonal pessary. I stopped once on doctor's orders and started getting recurrent cystitis. I had a new doctor by then and he said it was ok to use it. So I still do.

farview Mon 07-Jan-19 09:17:11

Good for you and hope your doctor agrees..I was taken off it after 28yrs and have just not felt properly well since!!!

Fennel Mon 07-Jan-19 09:23:30

It seems to be one of those things affected by current research.
I think there was some report in the early 2000s which found a link between HRT and breast cancer.
Then later other research which showed the connection wasn't so strong.
Or something like that.
Also weighing up use of HRT against frequent antibiotics for cystitis etc.

dragonfly46 Mon 07-Jan-19 09:30:12

I came off it after 5 years and experienced symptoms for the first few weeks but after that nothing.

I have recently been diagnosed with oestrogen positive breast cancer and believe me I would rather have hot flushes! In fact I am experiencing these while on medication to shrink the tumour.

Luckygirl Mon 07-Jan-19 09:30:17

I too wish I had ignored my doc!

But I do have a contraindication which is focal migraine, so I can understand why she took me off. Just wish I could feel again as I felt when on it.

Travelhappy Sat 12-Jan-19 19:28:54

I’ve been using HRT patches for 25 years since a hysterectomy and removal of left ovary sent me into an early menopause. I’m on the lowest possible dose 25mcg. Have my BP regularly checked (it’s fine) and have no intention of coming off it. When I’ve tried to wean myself off in the past, the hot flushes and night sweats have returned with a vengeance. I think it’s about reading up on it, discussing with your GP, understanding the risks and making an informed choice. My GP is pretty relaxed about it although he said he would have reservations about long term use of combined HRT.

glammanana Sat 12-Jan-19 20:31:19

I have taken HRT for the last 27yrs since I had a total removal of my womb and ovaries due to ovarian cancer,I started with inplants for the first 18mths ten changed to tablets and am now on the loest dosage available,my Dr gives me regular blood tests ad checks my BP every month,he is happy to continue with me using HRT as long as my checks are done regulary.

Framilode Sat 12-Jan-19 20:44:41

I am now 72 and have been on HRT since I was 41.Recently had a new GP who was trying to persuade me to come off it. I refused. I am due for another chat with her soon and am worried that she won't prescribe again. If she refuses I shall go private. It is my life saver.

cornergran Sat 12-Jan-19 20:49:20

I’m 70 and have felt more and more unwell since stopping HRT after 23 years to have surgery. GP won’t consider re-prescribing in spite of current thinking. Good luck with your doctor, it’s certainly worth trying.

Patricson Fri 18-Jan-19 14:28:43

Definitely worth going to the doctor. I have been on HRT since I was 45 years old. I am now 53 years old and I feel great. Especially, I got a deep, more restful sleep, a keen memory and cognitive skills, so go to the doctor and speak with him about the HRT course. Here is what you need to know about it: hghtherapydoctor.us/hgh-prescription/.

Lazigirl Fri 18-Jan-19 16:12:41

Same here Framilode. Print off all the up to date info and evidence you can find to support you on your next GP visit. I have done this because in my experience GPs are not always using evidence based data on risk when decision making on HRT. I think informed health decisions should be made in conjunction with one's GP, as long as the woman is well informed of any risks. We're not all idiots after all!

humptydumpty Fri 18-Jan-19 16:33:35

HRT has a much lower risk when delivered by a patch - try that, instead of oral, mamapat:

www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/oestrogen-patches-gels#

DanniRae Sun 20-Jan-19 12:49:53

I went to the doctor to ask to be put back on hrt because of how I was feeling (anxiety, tiredness and just generally feeling below par). She was lovely, listened to everything I said but felt I would be better on anti anxiety medication. I agreed to try it but had changed my mind by the next day, mainly due to reading about it online (she said to do this). She has said that it is not impossible for me to go back on hrt but felt there was a risk - I didn't ask what this was. However, having read all the posts on here I think I will return to her and ask for referral to my local hospital where there is a hrt clinic. If I am not daunted by the risks I will definitely go back on it!

DanniRae Sun 20-Jan-19 12:50:56

I forgot to say that I am 70 years old.

Sunnysideup Mon 21-Jan-19 13:05:56

Good for you DanniRae. I'm 69 and have been on the little HRT patchs for about five years and my GP says I should stay on it for the rest of my life because it has made such a positive difference to me. My quality of life has improved greatly and it's worth any small risk. The initial private consultant I saw, told me that there are some ladies who never stop having menopausal symptoms like hot flushes and continue for the rest of their lives. I honestly think I'm one of them. I suggest you get a copy of the book Oestrogen Matters by Dr Avrum Bluming and Carol Tavris, PhD. It makes very interesting reading. Good luck at the HRT clinic.

DanniRae Mon 21-Jan-19 14:10:04

Thank you Sunnysideup - I appreciate your helpful post!

dreamspirit Tue 22-Jan-19 16:00:37

I too have been put under pressure from age 60 to come off HRT, but have stood firm. I'm now 71. If you look at what some of the top gynies say, they all agree that women can stay on it for as long as they like, taking into account any obvious risk factors. People like John Studd (aptly named!), Sara Matthews (the Portland) and Natalia Price (John Radcliffe) are great proponents of women remaining on it for life. If anyone here is finding all doors shut on them, even if they change doctors, I recommend forking out for a private consultation with one of these gynies - or any others that you know are likely to support you. It's certainly my fallback position, should I need it.