Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(17 Posts)
jacalpad Wed 17-Jul-19 10:12:19

I have just been told I must have a colonoscopy within the next two weeks. I am terrified. Please can anyone offer any helpful advice? In particular, should I go for the optional anaesthetic? Thank you!

Willow500 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:19:23

I had this last Friday - there is another thread about it (I don't know how to do a link) if you have a look.

I was also frightened but really it was nowhere near as bad as I'd imagined - in fact the actual procedure was painless. I opted for the sedation but it doesn't put you to sleep and you can have gas and air if you need it (I didn't). The worst part is drinking the bowel prep over the preceding evening and the morning - just make sure you have a good book to hand - and also the restricted diet the week before. Lots of information on the net on the low residue diet too.

Good luck!

shysal Wed 17-Jul-19 12:21:10

If you use the search box at the top of the page you will find about 10 previous threads. I hope they will put your mind at rest.
I had 'both ends' done some years ago and was also terrified. I was pleasantly surprised that there was only a little discomfort, no actual pain. I opted for mild sedation, which meant I shouldn't spend the following night alone. I felt it was unnecessary, so I fussed round feeding my DD instead of the other way round, then sent her home!
I was told the findings on the day, except the result of biopsies, but was reassured that all looked well.
I hope all goes well for you.

Baggs Wed 17-Jul-19 12:54:00

I think the optional anaesthetic is more correctly called a mild sedative. It helps you relax. I think I went to sleep so the whole procedure (which takes about twenty minutes) was no bother at all.

The preparation over the previous few days is not pleasant but you can cope with that, I'm sure.

So... nothing to be terrified about. Get back to us after you've had the colonoscopy and tell us how easy it was. All the best!

Baggs Wed 17-Jul-19 12:55:10

Oh, and the first cup of tea afterwards is wonderful ? !

jude2006 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:56:59

Hi , I have had quite a few now as I have to have them repeated every few years . All I can suggest is to definitely have sedation , and if you do feel any discomfort tell them, they can help .
The other suggestion is, if you are given Movi-Prep to mix up and drink before the procedure , when you have mixed it up in a jug put it in the fridge to cool . You can also add a little squash ( as long as its not blackcurrant ) and then its not that bad . Hope all goes well for you, try not to worry to much , all the best .

Folkestone78 Wed 17-Jul-19 17:32:16

Try not to worry, I have had this procedure regularly, and it is really fine. I would go for the sedation, you are not really aware of anything, you are given a gown and underwear for modesty and it is really quick. It is not painful at all.

A couple of days before you have to stick to a very simple diet ( they will tell you what to eat) and then you take a laxative mixture to clear everything out, so to speak, so on this day you may want to stay at home near the loo!

If ever I am not looking forward to something I always plan a treat for afterwards, so there is a plan to look forward o, but you will be the other side of this in no time, and it is really fine??

cornergran Wed 17-Jul-19 18:15:10

My experience was of little discomfort and being interested as I could watch it on a screen. Not all ‘yucky’. I didn’t have sedation, not because I was brave but because none was offered. A nurse chatted all the way through explaining what I was looking at. It wasn’t even that undignified as the staff were very thoughtful. Yes the preceding day meant a close acquaintance with the bathroom but it was totally bearable. Try not to worry too much and do tell the staff you’re nervous, they will understand and support you.

Charleygirl5 Wed 17-Jul-19 18:33:13

My experience is exactly the same as cornergran's- I had very mild discomfort. I still needed to be close to a loo the next day but I was fine.

jacalpad Tue 23-Jul-19 17:27:56

Thank you all so much for your reassurances. I have the appointment at the end of next week. I think I will go for the sedative. I’ll let you all know how I get on!

Fennel Tue 23-Jul-19 17:53:44

I have to have one on 12th August, following my hernia ops. last month.
They've kindly sent me a bottle of enema to self-administer before I go. I might buy a pack of those adult nappies to wear on the way there.

SirChenjin Tue 23-Jul-19 18:22:27

DD (19) had one recently and like you she was absolutely terrified. The Moviprep wasn't too pleasant (it's fast acting and really does get rid of everything, so stay close to a loo and have soothing wipes to hand). She opted for sedation and gas and air - apparently if you're younger you tend to experience more pain as your muscles are much tighter so they gave her entinox, but my understanding is that anyone can ask for it if they feel they need it. She remembers shouting out but she has no recollection whatsoever of the actual pain - and my DD has a very low pain threshold so she would be the first to remember it! It was over quite quickly and she was back on the ward before we knew it. There was a bit of 'wind' afterwards but the nurses were lovely and very, very respectful at all times.

Good luck smile flowers

paddyann Tue 23-Jul-19 20:37:57

I have it done yearly as I have ulcerative colitis.I've never felt it painful at all.I dont have the sedation.If you can relax about it that will help.Being tense can cause you to feel it more .I have a high pain threshold though so it may depend on that,theres usually a nurse to hold your hand through it for support and in case you feel more than you should .Good Luck hope it all goes well

Marmight Tue 23-Jul-19 21:36:23

I think the fear of the unknown is worse than the actual procedure. You'll be fine!
I had it without sedation as I drove myself to the hospital. I watched what was going on on the screen & tbe Doc explained everything during the procedure. It was just a bit uncomfortable when the tube went round an awkward bend but deep breathing helped and I was forewarned. The worst bit was taking the Moviprep. You have to drink so much of it. Yeugh, disgusting.

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Jul-19 21:42:16

I had two polyps removed as well and again without sedation. I just did not need it but everybody is different.

Coolgran65 Wed 24-Jul-19 03:54:11

I've had a couple of these done without any difficulty.
Two negatives....
The prep stuff tasted of vanilla and I now can't bear the smell or taste of vanilla. Not after 8 pints of it.
The other negative, My neighbour two doors was the nurse. !!

Shizam Thu 25-Jul-19 19:54:20

Wasn’t offered gas and air, but mild sedative. Found it slightly uncomfortable but not too bad. The thing the night before to get everything out was quite something. Felt well enough next day to get bus home on my own. Good luck with it. Ain’t pleasant but if it gets you sorted.