Gransnet forums

Health

ACE/ARB BP medication and cancer risk

(21 Posts)
BlueSky Sat 09-Nov-19 13:22:46

I came across this latest cancer scare. I give up! confused

suziewoozie Sat 09-Nov-19 14:07:02

I give up on irresponsible threads like this - no link, no date, in accurate title.
Here’s a link and it’s good summary.
OP you should be ashamed of yourself

www.nhs.uk/news/medication/blood-pressure-drug-linked-possible-small-increased-risk-lung-cancer/

BlueSky Sat 09-Nov-19 14:27:30

I beg your pardon Suziewoozie? Are you talking to me? You should be ashamed of yourself! Manners please!

Ashcombe Sat 09-Nov-19 14:32:12

Play nicely!

BlueSky Sat 09-Nov-19 14:44:26

In any case thanks Suzie your link was very reassuring even if rude...

EllanVannin Sat 09-Nov-19 15:01:19

How many times do we read on a daily basis that some thing or other causes cancer ? I've given up bothering/worrying about it.

suziewoozie Sat 09-Nov-19 15:57:38

No Bluesky you were completely wrong to post with the misleading title you did and no link. Many GNers and/ or their DH are on ARB/ACE and you could have worried them without them necessarily being able to check it out. There was no excuse for starting a thread that could have worried people. Where on earth did you read that anyway? The research came out a year ago and the findings were not as your title suggested. This is a public forum and you should have been more responsible when posting on the Health thread.

suziewoozie Sat 09-Nov-19 15:58:14

But Ellan you don’t start threads about them do you?

BlueSky Sat 09-Nov-19 16:06:44

That's the way I feel at the moment. I happened to read the above article and of course panicked as I have been on the damn stuff for the past 20 years at the max dose! I know they are only statistics but perhaps I'll stop reading such headlines, which by the way were last year's. Last year I had much more serious health issues to worry about than that. Thanks EllanVannin always a sensible reassuring reply from you. thanks

BlueSky Sat 09-Nov-19 16:12:53

Why so aggressive Suziewoozy? A simple reply stating your opinion would have done.

suziewoozie Sat 09-Nov-19 17:11:49

Your post imo was thoroughly irresponsible - I’m not going to pussy foot around such thoughtless scaremongering - just call it clearly. You were wrong

BlueSky Sat 09-Nov-19 17:17:19

Scaremongering? I just reported what I came across, anybody could just have asked what was I referring to! Being old news I thought it was common knowledge! Anyway I'be explained enough.

suziewoozie Sat 09-Nov-19 17:22:04

When and where did you come across it? Did you you stop and think for one minute that it sounded very alarmist? You weren’t posting an opinion you were starting a thread involving two serious health issues - hypertension and cancer. You should stop digging

Happiyogi Sat 09-Nov-19 18:08:08

If people are genuinely concerned about BP, and the potential dangers of medications, there is a lot of evidence-based research available about how to normalise BP through diet.

It involves ditching fizzy drinks, processed foods, salt and saturated fat and replacing them with whole grains, whole veg, fruits and beans.

M0nica Sat 09-Nov-19 19:10:17

BlueSky, while I would not express my feelings quite as forecfully as sooziewoozie, I absolutely agree with her.

There are too many scare stories in the papers saying things like your risk for some kind of cancer will double if you have ever taken a painkiller. You then discover that only one person in a million gets the specific type of cancer so the chance rises to 2 in a million, which still remains exceedingly small.

If I was to post any information like this, I would be checking the origin of the research, how it was carried out and what informed medical opinion had to say on the research. In fact everything in the NHS link posted by sooziewoozie then I wouldn't have started the thread.

suziewoozie Sat 09-Nov-19 20:45:55

I was cross with this thread for the reasons I stated but had a sense of responsibility to find a good reliable link - the least the OP could do is to apologise and thank me rather than castigate me. Bloody cheek

M0nica Sat 09-Nov-19 21:15:12

Happiyogi What if they already have ditching fizzy drinks, processed foods, salt and saturated fat and replacing them with whole grains, whole veg, fruits and beans. and their blood pressure still remains high?

High blood pressure has numerous causes including specific medical problems and genetic pre-disposition to name but two.

Namsnanny Sun 10-Nov-19 04:08:22

That's the problem isn't it M0nica, diet is only part of the problem for some?

janeainsworth Sun 10-Nov-19 05:15:41

I agree with Suzie and monica too.
The NHS article was in fact trying to reassure people that although there is an increased risk, it is still a very small risk indeed and pales into insignificance compared to the risks associated with smoking.
Your thread title was alarmist and misleading bluesky.

Ginny42 Sun 10-Nov-19 05:34:33

BlueSky I clicked on this thread expecting to find crucial information, so I was puzzled to find just a statement of how you felt. I'm sorry if you were feeling down after reading the information, but the others are right, it was alarmist and may have genuinely caused others to be upset to read your statement without a link.

I hope you feel reassured by janeainsworth's analysis of the article. If you're still anxious, do speak to your GP who may allay your fears.

suziewoozie Sun 10-Nov-19 07:39:04

We don’t even know the OP was worried - given the news is a year old, I still don’t understand why she decided to post it now. The ‘I give up’ sounded rather flippant to me