Gransnet forums

Health

Facial pain

(4 Posts)
dhills02 Wed 08-Jul-20 17:49:30

Does anyone out there suffer from trigeminal neuropathic pain ( not TN). I haven't recovered from a root canal, bad extraction and then root removal which has left me with numbness, tingling and aching pain in my mouth. Am on duloxetine ( 60 mg) and pregabalin ( 225mg) but they don't seem to work well. Am told amytrypline but am frightened of side effects I don't have now.Chewing gum and walking is a help but can't do this all the time and the whole thing is very debilitating.

Toadinthehole Thu 09-Jul-20 15:06:06

I know it’s a difficult time....but are you still in contact with your dentist? I had a tooth extraction a few years ago which left me with dry socket for a month, so painful. I know it’s not quite the same as you, but I kept going back to my dentist until he was sick of me! Just a thought. I found ice packs, and once the gum had healed.....bonjela funnily enough, very good. It sounds like you would need something stronger though. I do hope you get it sorted...mouth pain is one of the worst.

BlueBelle Thu 09-Jul-20 15:20:11

There’s another lady sheena who has a thread called chronic toothache ( I think that’s the title You might be able to help each other

Candelle Sun 12-Jul-20 00:26:31

I had what I was positive was toothache (I had a post-crown that kept coming off and erroneously conflated my pain with the crown falling off) and kept running to my dentist who assured me there was not a dental problem (apart from having the crown placed back in position every six weeks. Annoying and expensive!).

In desperation I visited my GP who arranged an appointment with the Maxillofacial consultant.

After scans I was told that I have a blood vessel passing very close to the trigeminal nerve and that's the cause of my pain, not toothache at all.

I now take daily Pregabalin which has helped. As this problem is worse lying down, I ensure I don't ever have my hand directly on my cheek and lay with the affected side uppermost.

I was prescribed Amitriptyline some years ago and loved it! It helped me sleep better and help stop my pain. However, I was taken off it (boo boo). I think there were contra-indications with other drugs but I would love to use it again. If you can have it prescribed, I wouldn't hesitate. I wouldn't be frightened in the least - if we read the accompanying leaflets in all new medicines, it's a wonder that anyone actually takes anything at all!