Gransnet forums

Health

Underarm Boil, HELP!!!!!

(8 Posts)
BrittD276 Fri 15-Jan-21 20:56:39

A few days ago, I had a big bump show up in my armpit. I’m not sure if it’s from an ingrown hair (which is very possible, I had just shaved) or if it’s due to my Psoriasis outbreak, and the open places on my scalp allowing bacteria in, but the cause is pretty irrelevant..

My question is this.. (I’ve only ever had a boil once before now), but for whatever reason, this one stings sooooo bad! Like when a boil is draining and stings as infection is coming out ;; this one feels like that, but it’s not even started draining, yet! Is this normal, due to the infection building up making it sting or what?? My other one definitely did not sting in any way before it was actually draining the infection and it’s got me a bit worried ?

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 21:01:41

I had a sebacious cyst under my arm that got infected one summer. Boy, did it hurt! I was living overseas and had a 2 hour trek to the doctor (in a hospital). He gave me antibiotics that made no difference and the pain got worse. I went back after 4 days and he drained it. I had a local anaesthetic and when he put the scalpel in, he said, "OH! It is very big." I had told him that but he clearly hadn't believed me. It was the size of a golf ball.

He drained it and put a silver dressing inside to prevent infection. I had to go back a week later to have it taken out.

ExD Fri 15-Jan-21 21:04:28

We used to think that boils were a sign that you were run down. However I think you need some antibiotics and should phone your surgery and ask for advice. The sooner the better.

Charleygirl5 Fri 15-Jan-21 21:06:32

You need antibiotics asap.

BrittD276 Fri 15-Jan-21 21:07:28

Well luckily I already had a prescription of Clindamycin (which is the same thing the doctor prescribed be for the last boil) so I have started taking that!

vampirequeen Fri 15-Jan-21 21:08:52

If it's getting bigger and hurting more then you need to phone your GP. I had one the grew inward but stayed relatively small on the surface. I left it for ages because I didn't think it could be anything bad because it was so small and ended up having it lanced and drained, dressed every two days by the practice nurse and taking horse tablet sized anti biotics. Play safe and get some medical advice.

BrittD276 Sat 16-Jan-21 11:56:04

After posting this, I went to shower and before getting in checked on the boil, and noticed it had multiple heads on it. Finally!!! Went about my business, to the grocery store, etc. While driving back home, I felt just a slight hint of wet under my arm.

Yup, it started draining.??‍♀️ Perfect timing! Luckily I had some antibacterial wipes in my car door, stuffed a few under my arm real quick and hauled ass home. Came straight in, shirt off.. was barely draining. I cleaned it, put just the slightest bit of pressure on it and it started flowing wonderfully!

It is now (already!!) shrink down so much it’s almost flush with my skin, again. No more pain, no more pressure or stinging. Can already put my arm down at my side again. Hallelujah!!!!

vampirequeen Sat 16-Jan-21 12:24:49

That's good news.