Gransnet forums

Health

NHS staff and Vaccination

(9 Posts)
Redhead56 Mon 01-Mar-21 14:22:47

I only caught a glimpse of the Telegraph news brief this morning about NHS staff refusing vaccinations in London . Does anyone know anymore about this?

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Mar-21 14:58:56

No but they can refuse just like anyone else can until or unless someone brings in a no jab no contract contract.

tanith Mon 01-Mar-21 15:26:51

I can’t believe so many NHS staff have refused the vaccine I just don’t understand as they above all see the consequences of not having the jab.

BlueSky Mon 01-Mar-21 15:31:37

Agree Tanith and they make you feel uncomfortable if you refuse the flu jab!

ayse Mon 01-Mar-21 15:33:11

We don’t know the consequences of not having the jab at the moment. We know the jab reduces transmission and the severity of the illness is reduced. Are they planning to vaccinate the whole of the population annually? I doubt this very much. Should we ensure that all public health workers also have the flu vaccine and if not, why not?

AGAA4 Mon 01-Mar-21 15:41:32

My D is a nurse and they are required to have the flu vaccine every year and also now the Covid vaccine. Hard to believe that many are refusing to have it if it is a necessary requirement in their job.
It may have to become mandatory.

Casdon Mon 01-Mar-21 15:58:29

I wonder if it’s primarily a problem for London? I just checked for Wales, and it says 86.4% of NHS staff have been vaccinated so far, which is in line with the numbers for the other groups here? It might be linked to the known reluctance of some groups to be vaccinated, I guess there is a more diverse staff group in London - or maybe more transient bank/agency staff?

PippaZ Mon 01-Mar-21 16:33:15

Reading reports, most of which seem to stem from the Telegraph, they say "NHS figures show 91 percent of front line staff across the country have taken up jab offer – but that dips to 76 per cent in capital" but I see no proof of the rate not 'taken up' being refusals, which is what they seem to want to put over.

It could just as easily be due to shift patterns, etc. I think it will be clarified at some point and then we can decide whether to worry/not worry.

keepingquiet Mon 01-Mar-21 16:45:46

Maybe just another media storm. London is a huge city with a huge number of people employed in the NHS. I wouldn't give it too much credence.