Gransnet forums

Health

Elderly mum and painful hip

(13 Posts)
Katyj Sat 10-Apr-21 08:19:47

Hi. My mum fell and broke her hip nearly two years ago. She’s coming up to ninety now and her hip is now very painful, she’s so fed up and becoming depressed, she told me yesterday she didn’t want to live anymore if her hip doesn’t get less painful.
She had an X-ray 3 months ago came back normal. We’ve tried every pain killer and pain patch going ,nothing seems to agree with her. Has anyone any experience like this. Would steroid injections be the way to go ?She’s had lots of Physio, not much help either, she says she can feel something grinding together. At a loss what to do or say. Thanks for reading.

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Apr-21 09:14:05

My friend (in her 70s) had such a hip. She insisted on a second opinion and they eventually found a very small area of potential problems. It was very very little but giving her SO much pain. She eventually had surgery.

I too have a "bad" hip and my surgeon says the hip damage I have is "extreme". On the x-ray it is clearly visible and although it is painful it is certainly not all the time.

I asked him why it's not causing me pain in line with the massive damage and he said that it wasn't unusual to have little damage and lots of pain - and vice versa.

Get a second opinion. Be FIRM about the level of pain. Maybe something can be done.
Good luck.

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Apr-21 09:17:03

What did they do when she broke her hip?
What do they mean exactly by "normal".

Charleygirl5 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:19:23

She needs to see the consultant again because what she is experiencing is not normal. It sounds to me she needs a full hip replacement. She certainly needs more than an xray to point out the problem, a CT or MRI.

If she is fairly fit, do not allow people to put you off because of her age. Go back to the GP and if necessary be fairly forceful. The waiting list and her age are not good bedfellows.

NotSpaghetti Sat 10-Apr-21 09:25:58

Charley is right. And pain is not normal.

Alexa Sat 10-Apr-21 09:28:16

Katyj, I have no experience but I did wonder if she might consider acupuncture. Acupuncture is not a magic cure-all however I understand it does effect pain relief. Sessions have to be repeated as the effect wears off.

Katyj Sat 10-Apr-21 09:41:51

Hi, Thank you for your messages it was a pin and plate operation. She has been back to see her consultant, on her request, he said the x Ray was normal and no further treatment, although her pain wasn’t as bad as it is now.
I will phone her GP again but I think he’ll be reluctant to investigate again. I hadn’t thought about acupuncture, thank you ,might have to start looking into alternative treatment although she wouldn’t be willing to pay either which is another problem.

Charleygirl5 Sat 10-Apr-21 09:51:15

Katyj she is entitled to a second opinion and maybe the GP needs a gentle reminder! Maybe when the GP sees the amount of pain she is in he/she may change his mind but getting a face to face consultation is a problem.

Froglady Sat 10-Apr-21 09:57:42

I think it needs to be made crystal clear to her GP exactly how bad she is feeling and that she doesn't want to live any more if the problem doesn't get sorted out.

Gymstagran Sat 10-Apr-21 10:54:39

Have you thought of physiotherapy. I consulted a physio for back pain and he tried acupuncture, a machine similar to a tens machine and manipulation. After 3 sessions I was so much better. Unfortunately she may have to pay to get in quickly but for me the relief was so worthwhile. I had previously suffered for over 12months with my back using GP, then physio and acupuncture and on the point of getting injections when it finally eased. The next time. I wasn't prepared to go through that process, booked privately and gained relief so much sooner.

Katyj Sat 10-Apr-21 11:37:36

Thank you all. I’ll let you know how we get on?

NotSpaghetti Sun 11-Apr-21 23:48:02

Froglady

I think it needs to be made crystal clear to her GP exactly how bad she is feeling and that she doesn't want to live any more if the problem doesn't get sorted out.

My thoughts exactly!

PBKNOX Wed 12-May-21 11:37:16

I have had similar symptoms. I couldn't put any weight on it, and I felt it was challenging to walk for long distances. I had decided to take a replacement surgery; fortunately, my friend recommended taking a trial with the physiotherapy process before moving with surgery. I had visited my nearest physiotherapy clinic immediately. Initially, I had no hope and found some difficulties, but now I feel better. My therapist was a nice person; she taught me some daily exercises and posture tips for reducing the pain. You said you had done many exercises and won't get any good results. In my perspective, that may be due to the wrong exercise pattern you had. Once again, take a trial from the right physiotherapist to achieve the needed result.