Gransnet forums

Health

Cleaning teeth - should we rinse out after toothpaste?

(91 Posts)
Franbern Wed 12-May-21 09:07:31

For several years, I would carefully rinse out my mouth after using electric toothbrush, and then use one of the better quality mouthwashes to finish off.

Few months back, one of my AC told me that this was not the way I should be doing it now. By doing that I am rinsing out the flouride ingredient in my toothpaste. All I should do is to spit out any excess toothpaste, but not rinse my mouth at all.

Have been doing this now, and I do use a water flossing machine before I clean my teeth at night. But this non-rinsing out does worry me.
I am seeing my NHS dentist tomorrow for my annual check-up and will ask this of him, but would be interested to know GNetters thoughts on this. Does save me a lot of money on those mouthwashes though!!

Charleygirl5 Wed 12-May-21 09:13:29

I agree with your AC. I also do not rinse after cleaning my teeth for the reason explained.

jusnoneed Wed 12-May-21 09:15:28

Our dentist says no rinsing after brushing.

I do think some folk are over cleaning their teeth now, all these machines etc. Easy to cause damage.

Grannybags Wed 12-May-21 09:17:49

My dentist says no rinsing, just spit out any excess.

BlueSky Wed 12-May-21 09:22:05

Oh no I couldn’t stand a mouthful of toothpaste! Of course you can rinse with plain water after you have carefully brushed!

Shropshirelass Wed 12-May-21 09:24:49

Our dentist told us not to rinse after cleaning. My DH has medication that causes a dry mouth, he has a prescription toothpaste to use at night and does not rinse after brushing with this.

midgey Wed 12-May-21 09:25:40

Blue sky I’m afraid you are wrong! If you use toothpaste with fluoride or similar you have not allowed the paste to work as you have rinsed it out. So mouthful of paste it is!

JulieNoted Wed 12-May-21 09:25:44

I haven't rinsed after brushing for many years now after my dentist told me exactly what your AC said. I made the mistake of telling my little GD when she stayed over once - she completely took this on board and understood the reasoning..... and then told her mum, my DD. Oh dear, the backlash, haha!

Lovetopaint037 Wed 12-May-21 09:28:11

My hygienist said don’t rinse but as I go on cleaning it dissipates anyway. I

fevertree Wed 12-May-21 09:31:31

I have a quick rinse after brushing my teeth as I have done all my life and my dentist tells me I have very good teeth for 72... ?

Greyduster Wed 12-May-21 09:33:36

I have been told that you shouldn’t rinse after brushing, but if I don’t rinse my mouth after the night time brushing, I wake up during the night with a mouth and throat so dry I am almost choking. So I rinse. At this stage in my life, with almost all my own teeth, I’m not going to be over exercised about it.

Gelisajams Wed 12-May-21 09:39:58

That’s interesting Greyduster I’ve started waking up with a very dry mouth some nights. Sometimes I don’t rinse as my hygienist has told me, sometimes I rinse as that’s what I prefer after years of rinsing. I don’t like the idea of ingesting all the chemicals which are in toothpaste these days. I must see if there’s a connection.

hulahoop Wed 12-May-21 09:43:12

I was told by dentist not to rrinse

timetogo2016 Wed 12-May-21 09:48:53

No rinsing this end.

Franbern Wed 12-May-21 10:18:17

With regard to dry mouth at night. I get this, but then did so when I was rinsing out my mouth. So no connection. I do notice that I tend to sleep with my mouth open and breath through that, and also dribble (UGH). Sometimes, have damp patches on my pillow when I wake in the night, so tht is why my mouth feels so dry,. Just another of the getting older conditions.

MiniMoon Wed 12-May-21 10:19:20

When DD started taking the DGC to the dentist, she was told to teach the children not to rinse after brushing.
I must say that it took a bit of getting used to but I don't rinse now.

nanna8 Wed 12-May-21 10:38:29

I always do, I thought it was poisonous. Fluoride in excess certainly is and if it is already in the water, as it is here, you don’t want any extra. You get funny teeth (fluorosis)if you have too much.

shysal Wed 12-May-21 10:50:58

I read a comment about this on GN the other day, possibly by janeainsworth, so have stopped rinsing. I can see the logic in it.

M0nica Wed 12-May-21 10:52:33

Dentist says do not rinse after cleaning but if I did everything the dentist told me the major part of every day would be spent nurturing my teeth.

I tried it once, it was disgusting. I do not use a fluoride toothpast anyway, but I do use a non-alcoholic (dentist's instructions) fluoride mouthwash.

TerriBull Wed 12-May-21 10:58:26

I don't rinse after cleaning my teeth, I quite like a minty tasting mouth, although it doesn't always enhance coffee!

Millie22 Wed 12-May-21 11:05:44

No don't rinse after brushing as it washes away the fluoride which is helping your teeth. Most mouthwashes are just coloured water with a bit of flavour.

BlueSky Wed 12-May-21 11:07:33

Franbern dry mouth at night here too, like you I believe I sleep with my mouth open. I sip a glass of water right through the night, also I found water tablets make it worse.

MayBee70 Wed 12-May-21 11:09:59

I only recently realised that I shouldn’t rinse after brushing my teeth. I do rinse with mouthwash at a later time though as I get a build up of plaque if I don’t.

maddyone Wed 12-May-21 11:11:44

I haven’t rinsed after brushing for years. I just spit out excess.

SueDonim Wed 12-May-21 12:53:11

I was also told by the hygienist not to rinse after brushing my teeth. No way am I following those instructions. The thought of going to sleep with a mouth full of food detritus and old plaque - yuk! ? Also, all those chemicals. Nope.

My teeth haven’t changed much in the last few decades so I cannot imagine that changing my habits will make a difference now.