Gransnet forums

Health

Do anti depression work?

(14 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 16-Oct-21 12:26:38

I very rarely suffer from depression but lately I just can’t stop crying. Sorry if this has been posted before but I’m crying now and I thought I’d try antidepressants. Clearly we are all fed up with present circumstances and wish we could turn the clock back! I go for a good walk each day then start crying again when I get home. Can’t bear to watch the news.
Antidepressants from Boots???

Kali2 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:30:39

I am so sorry you are feeling down, and you need to seek some help. Please don't buy anti-depressants yourself- but go and see your GP.

There are so many different kinds of depression. From mild, and reactive depression (linked to an event, bereavement, diagonosis, or perhaps even, the news ..) and all the way to severe- and they all need a different approach.

If you can't get an appointment, as I am aware it it snot easy at the moment- make an appointment to see the Chemist's in private and discuss what is happening.

hugs take care, get help

FannyCornforth Sat 16-Oct-21 12:47:03

Please see your GP MrsMopp
I take antidepressants and I can assure you that they do work for many people.
I do hope that you feel better soon.
In the meantime don’t be hard on yourself. Try to do things that you enjoy. thanks

Candelle Sat 16-Oct-21 12:49:14

Mrs Mopp, I echo what Kali2 has said.

I am sorry that you feel so low but the best way is to book an appointment with your GP and explain how you feel. There are many treatments which could help you.

I don't know for sure but would think that antidepressants can't be obtained over the counter. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of this could help here?

Have you considered contacting the Samaritans on 116 123 or you can write to them: [email protected]. The telephone number will have someone available to speak to you 24 hours a day. The written method has a response time of 24 hours.

If you really feel desperate, you can always contact 111, there is always someone there.

I do hope you feel able to obtain some help and wish you better.

grannyactivist Sat 16-Oct-21 12:53:26

mrsmopp going for a walk is a good first step to tackle depression, exercise really helps. However, it does seem that you may need something more at the moment and the best person to advise you is your GP. Antidepressants take a little while to work, but when they do you should find that you’re able to manage better and not feel so low. Sending flowers flowers and hugs to you. ?

timetogo2016 Sat 16-Oct-21 13:02:22

I would take FannyCornfourth's lovely advice.and Kali2's.
I wish you well.

SueDonim Sat 16-Oct-21 13:04:56

I’m sorry you’re not feeling great, MrsMopp. flowers

You can’t buy antidepressants over the counter, unless you mean herbal medicines. Your first step should be to talk to a professional about this so they help you plan a way through, be it therapy or meds. It’s very hard to motivate yourself when you’re feeling down, but this really would be the best way to tackle it. I hope you feel better soon.

Esspee Sat 16-Oct-21 15:57:21

When I was very low after the death of my husband my doctor recommended Prozac. It took over a month before I started to feel more like me and better able to function normally. When I decided I no longer needed help I very gradually reduced the dosage ending with half a tablet every few days before stopping entirely.
I would happily go back onto it if I felt I needed help.

? for you mrsmopp. You have lots of friends here on Gransnet when you need a hand hold.

MayBee70 Sat 16-Oct-21 16:05:41

I took zispin for a short while when my marriage ended and I couldn’t stop crying. It really helped me. Made me tired at first till I got used to it, but I needed sleep anyway. Was non addictive and I weaned myself off them gradually.

jaylucy Sat 16-Oct-21 16:08:21

Please see your GP, you can't buy anti depressants from Boots without a prescription.
Your GP may well suggest that you also undergo therapy or see a counselor. Please take advantage of it - don't feel embarrassed about taking that step as talking to someone may well help you work out why you are feeling like you are. It could be just feeling so hopeless about how things are in the world at the moment or it may be something different entirely.
Anti depressants are not an instant fix - it can take several weeks or months for you to feel better . but stick with it and may feel so much more like yourself.
In the meantime, please remember we are all here for you whenever you want a chat.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 16-Oct-21 16:22:02

All I can add is that seeing my GP and taking the antidepressants he prescribed literally saved my life. Please do that. He/she will know exactly how to help you. Also do join the Black Dog Gang on GN where you will find friends who have had their own struggles with depression and anxiety, a lovely group who always understand and sympathise and never judge. I hope you soon feel a lot better. ?

Humduh Sat 16-Oct-21 16:51:27

Antidepressants make me feel suicidal on top of that I came up with a rash literally from head to toe. That was Prozac in the past other ones have worked for me the first month or socan be tough

hollysteers Sat 16-Oct-21 16:55:24

Agree with others advice here. I too had them after my husband died, combined with my own surgery etc. Am not on them now, but they just take the edge off things so one can cope.
You are right about the news. Stop watching, reading about it or listening to it. Record programmes you love and treat yourself. Watch films you like.
After bereavements, I added to my collection of toy theatres and children’s books. Do things you love.

rafichagran Sat 16-Oct-21 17:00:09

Yes they do work, I take them, and they enable me to work, and get on with my life.
Some work better than others. See you GP. The Black Dog forum helps if you just want to talk.