Gransnet forums



(7 Posts)
HowVeryDareYou Wed 27-Oct-21 18:14:22

Has anyone had a Meningioma? I had a brain scan for another reason, and it's shown this up. I've now got to have an MRI with contrast, and I'm worried about what will happen after that.

Peasblossom Wed 27-Oct-21 21:04:55

It’s a diagnosis that is bound to make you anxious.

The best scenario is, that because they are usually very slow growing, nothing much will happen except monitoring at regular intervals. Probably every couple of months or so to begin with and then, if it’s not growing, at longer intervals.

Worse case is its removal under surgery and a recovery period. How long that is depends how big it is and where it’s situated.

In between those two is some radiotherapy to shrink the tumour to a size that doesn’t affect you.

The older you are the less likely it is to grow quickly. If it’s not affecting you at the moment (and it sounds like you didn’t even know it was there) then it may just be something you live with for the rest of your days without anything having to be done.

I hope you get your MRI soon and it relieves some of your anxiety.💐

HowVeryDareYou Wed 27-Oct-21 21:59:46

Thank you. It was picked up a couple of weeks ago, but the hospital hasn't said how big it is - I suspect not very, as I haven't had any symptoms. There has been a mention of needing neuro surgery IF it's cancerous, large or causing any problem.
I hope it'll be OK.

sukie Thu 28-Oct-21 03:06:43

What Peasblossom said. My mother was diagnosed with a Meningioma when she was 94. It showed up in a scan for something else and was described as being large but as it wasn't causing her any issues, nothing further was done. She's been in a care home since age 97 due to lack of mobility and though occasionally a bit forgetful she's doing well overall and still quite sharp at nearly 101. The meningioma hasn't been discussed in years.

HowVeryDareYou Thu 28-Oct-21 22:04:18

Thank you sukie I don't feel so worried today. I've been thinking that IF the hospital says they want to do an operation, I'll decline until/unless I have symptoms. Your mum is 101! Woe, she's doing well smile

Luckygirl Thu 28-Oct-21 22:43:30

I am sorry that you have this worry.

Maybe best to wait and see what the new scan shows; then you will be in a position to make decisions. When you see the consultant after the scan it might be a good idea to go armed with a list of questions to cover different scenarios. You will want to ask what happens if you just ignore it; what all your options are and their likely effects.

I think it is too early to make a decision to decline surgery until you know exactly what it is and what your options are.

I have what I call my "blob" in my brain - about 2 cms diameter - it too was found by chance and I have no symptoms that they think are attributable to it. They are sure it is not malignant. So they just keep an eye on it.

I do not worry about it, as it does not impinge on my life. but it sounds as though yours needs more detailed investigation as they know what it is. I think you should keep an open mind at this stage.

Good luck with it all.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 29-Oct-21 13:10:52

Luckygirl thank you.