Gransnet forums

Health

Itching……help

(9 Posts)
Sago Fri 19-Aug-22 07:57:03

For 48 hours I have been itching like mad, It’s everywhere and particularly my scalp.
I haven’t eaten or drunk anything new or different, changed washing powders etc.
Has anyone had experience of this?
Is there a specific antihistamine I could take?
I’m away later today for the weekend and then go to France next week for our sons wedding.
I really need some help please!

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 07:59:50

Perhaps the pharmacist can advise you.

BlueBelle Fri 19-Aug-22 08:04:22

Sounds like you need an antihistamine I think an antihistamine is just that I don’t think they are for different sorts of reactions
Speak to the pharmacist they re usually very helpful and if it’s a reaction to something it usually works fairly quickly if it doesn’t you may need a steroid which would mean a doctors call

Casdon Fri 19-Aug-22 08:22:56

You could try Piriton, you have to ask for it at the pharmacy - it works better than the others for me.

LadyGracie Fri 19-Aug-22 08:51:06

Clarityn (Loratadine) is very good and non drowsy and can be bought off the shelf.

M0nica Fri 19-Aug-22 09:27:43

Speak to a doctor or pharmacist if you are still itching on Monday.

Regrettably utching can be the sign of more serious problems.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/itchy-skin/

Sago Fri 19-Aug-22 12:04:57

Rash appeared on one side of my stomach, I went straight to a walk to n centre and was seen in less than 5 minutes??.
I was afraid it was Shingles.
It’s not, just another allergy.
I had almonds on my breakfast the other day so think that could be it.

Granny23 Fri 19-Aug-22 12:23:21

I was being driven mad by a crop of midge bites around my ankles. Consulted pharmacist and was recommended both anti-histamine tablets and cream. They have worked a treat.

jeanie99 Fri 19-Aug-22 22:07:36

Just a warning about taking anti-histamines. I have Urticaria a skin condition and take high doses of Fexofenadine on prescription.
I unfortunately had an attack of Atrial Fibrillation at the same time as I had Urticaria and the medication I had been put on had a known side effect with Fexofenadine and I could not think straight.
Always check with your local pharmacist before taking anything different, he'll be able to advice you if you are taking other medications.