Gransnet forums

Health

Arch Supports

(16 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Thu 08-Dec-22 09:00:47

I had Arch Supports made by the Podiatrist years ago but they didn't fit in ant of my shoes and were extremely uncomfortable. I've since bought my own arch support insoles, but am having a problem with them moving around. The pair I bought before that were horrible, made from silicone and too thick , taking up too much room in my shoes.

Does anyone have any good solutions please?

I feel it will take forever to get any more made on the NHS but want a way to get them not to move inside my shoes without buying thick ones.

NorthowramGran Thu 08-Dec-22 09:06:54

I use double sided sticky tape on mine.

OnwardandUpward Thu 08-Dec-22 09:49:10

Thanks NorthowramGran, I wondered about that but wasn't sure if it would work. How long does it last?

ronib Thu 08-Dec-22 09:57:12

Shuropody makes thin arch supports for £60 or so. Need regular replacement though. They fit quite well into shoes.

OnwardandUpward Thu 08-Dec-22 10:07:15

Thanks Ronib

Do they make them specifically for you?

NorthowramGran Thu 08-Dec-22 10:13:19

OnwardandUpward

Thanks NorthowramGran, I wondered about that but wasn't sure if it would work. How long does it last?

I suppose it depends on the quality of the tape, I just use ordinary double sided sellotape & tend to move them about between different shoes. I put a strip both the length & breadth of the support to give it a bit more substance.
Hope it works for you!

ronib Thu 08-Dec-22 11:15:08

OnwardandUpward

Thanks Ronib

Do they make them specifically for you?

Yes you stand on a machine in the shop. Probably a good short term solution rather than lasting years but maybe feet change over time?

OnwardandUpward Thu 08-Dec-22 14:57:53

NorthowramGran

OnwardandUpward

I suppose it depends on the quality of the tape, I just use ordinary double sided sellotape & tend to move them about between different shoes. I put a strip both the length & breadth of the support to give it a bit more substance.
Hope it works for you!

Thanks, I tried it but the tape peeled straight off the sillicone/gel like surface of the insoles. Disappointed, but I realised one of the insoles is broken so I will buy more in a different type of material and try again. The double sided tape was a good brand name, which I have forgotten- but I'll try a different sort.

OnwardandUpward Thu 08-Dec-22 14:59:06

Thanks Ronib!

I probably don't want to spend that much, really. I have noticed that one of my boot heels is broken as well as one of the insoles that side. I must be walking harder on one side. Strange it's that side because I have more pain on the other side.

midgey Thu 08-Dec-22 15:10:23

I bought some arch supports from Pavers, they come in different sizes (roughly). I paid eleven pounds for them and have found them to be very comfortable.

OnwardandUpward Thu 08-Dec-22 15:12:14

Oooh I hadn't thought of Pavers, thanks!

When I was googling, I saw some arch supports that fix to your foot on elastic. Has anyone tried those?

ronib Thu 08-Dec-22 16:23:59

If you have certain health conditions, the Nhs provides bespoke orthotics from a podiatrist without charge to you.

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Dec-22 16:47:50

My NHS Podiatrist measured me, measured my arches separately etc. Took two weeks for delivery. They have never moved. They don't fit in all shoes and often it means removing the original insole from the shoe. The first pair weren't perfect and they made another pair which were good. No charge on NHS.
They work best in a lace up shoe with a good toe box. Perfect in my leather Sketchers, Hotters and Reikers. Also a few cheaper shoes.
I'd go to your NHS Podiatrist and make sure you are satisfied, going back if necessary. Mine is attached to my GP Clinic

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Dec-22 17:31:47

I've since bought my own arch support insoles, but am having a problem with them moving around

Better to buy them a bit longer and trim to fit as they should fit snugly in your shoes and not move around.

If I want to wear them in sandals I use sticky-backed velcro, one half on the insole, the other in the sandal.
It could work with shoes but might be difficult to pull them out to out in a different pair.

Callistemon21 Thu 08-Dec-22 17:33:46

ronib

If you have certain health conditions, the Nhs provides bespoke orthotics from a podiatrist without charge to you.

Yes.

Mine take about six weeks to come.
But the podiatrist does like to have a face to face appointment to check the prescription doesn't need altering.

OnwardandUpward Sat 10-Dec-22 01:22:18

ronib

Ive had them before but they were extremely bulky and really uncomfortable. I think the waiting time will be very long and it's a waste of their time and money if I don't use them because they are uncomfortable.

I bought some in Boots today for 12.99 but havent tried them yet.