Gransnet forums

Health

Really Thin Skin 🩹

(15 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 12:57:24

Not a euphemism!

MrC has the most fragile thin skin.
It cuts and tears at the slightest knock.

He can’t even wear normal plasters as it tears his skin off.
He has to soak off the ones for sensitive skin.
He came close to having ti have a small skin graft on his arm last year due to a bad tear.

I can’t imagine what would happen if the condition gets any worse.

It’s due to steroids and other medications.

Does anyone have experience of this?
Does anything help?

Thank you x

Riverwalk Sun 29-Jan-23 13:21:55

Don't soak off the plasters it makes the skin weaker by getting it soggy - use adhesive remover wipes such as these

www.amazon.co.uk/Zoff-Adhesive-Remover-20-Wipes/dp/B003IDDW7O?tag=gransnetforum-21

Although similar in appearance DO NOT use Steri-wipes the alcohol wipes used before giving injections - you need a solvent to deal with the adhesive.

JaneJudge Sun 29-Jan-23 13:27:07

your poor dh sad my daughter has very thin skin and we use sensitive everything and cetraben

moogoo stuff is supposed to be good too. I've noticed they do a sample pack

moogooskincare.co.uk/trial-kit?gclid=Cj0KCQiAz9ieBhCIARIsACB0oGK1Q3eoPjAaMW5RqcQS01NQilKNjMXfTD_QX7eCumgMfqJ72aFMygsaArHMEALw_wcB

Riverwalk Sun 29-Jan-23 13:33:08

Wipe around the plaster with the Zoff wipe so some of the solvent seeps in the edges, then lift a tiny corner of the plaster and wipe as you peel the plaster back - it will come off easily. Then use the wipe to clean off any residue.

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 13:46:03

Oh, thank you both. That’s really helpful

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 13:50:18

Which moisturiser does your daughter use Jane? Is it the udder cream, or the one for sensitive skin in the yellow bottle?
I was just looking at the oncology pack, that looks like it might be suitable

JaneJudge Sun 29-Jan-23 14:07:34

try the sensitive one first or order the samples?
the milk wash is good too. If you read the reviews online, they come highly recommended

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Jan-23 14:08:53

Yes, I’ll definitely order the samples - they’re a bargain !

Elusivebutterfly Sun 29-Jan-23 14:17:38

My skin is pretty thin and prone to infections/cellulitis due to this. It does help to keep the skin well creamed and not allow it to be too dry. Wearing long sleeves can help as well.

shoppinggirl Sun 29-Jan-23 14:53:23

I have the same problem due to steroids. If I knock my hand by mistake, it leaves huge bruises that take ages to disappear. My skin tears very easily and I now buy Sensitive Plasters from Wilko. They're latex free so don't have such strong adhesion - and I think they're only about £1 for 36 plasters.

Whiff Sun 29-Jan-23 17:41:54

My mom's skin tore easily it was like paper the last year of her life. . I used Dermol 500 lotion and covered her arms and legs with no stick dressings using sensitive microspore tape. If the skin was broken used sudocreme under the dressing. Made sure her wounds didn't infected.
I keep her limbs covered all times to prevent any tears. She was 90 when she died.

JaneJudge Sun 29-Jan-23 17:43:08

oh yes, we have dermol too FC. It is especially good for places that get hot

Merlin333 Fri 03-Feb-23 09:28:03

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Hithere Fri 03-Feb-23 12:12:54

For wounds, honey gel is a godsend
Non adherent oads instead of bandaids
Adherent gauze if it doesn't get stuck to the skin
If the pad needs to be secured so it doesn't move, use elastic stretchy wrap

I am happy to put links to products if it helps

Hithere Fri 03-Feb-23 12:17:06

Pads