Gransnet forums

News & politics

Camerons leave daughter in pub

(70 Posts)
JessM Mon 11-Jun-12 07:30:44

How funny! They left their 8 year old in the pub! Bet he was de-smugged for at least an hour. Poor child (unless she is a very self possessed child, or one who was busy on the climbing frame or something)
These problem families, I really don't know what the world is coming to.

Mamie Mon 11-Jun-12 07:42:26

Well that is what they say about DC, it is all about lack of attention to detail....

AlieOxon Mon 11-Jun-12 08:05:44

No wonder reports of neglect are going up (news today)..........

Notsogrand Mon 11-Jun-12 08:32:27

I hope she didn't run up a big bill at the bar.......smile

Humbertbear Mon 11-Jun-12 08:37:13

It's good to start the day with a laugh. I don't understand people who 'lose' their children. My sister in law did it quite regularly when shopping but I tried and tried and never managed it.

j04 Mon 11-Jun-12 08:49:41

I think it is dreadful!.

Alright, they were out with a bunch of mates and had gone in three cars, and everyone assumed she had gone in one of the other cars. But wouldn't any parent's first thought when leaving an establishment, be "have we got the children".

Apparently not in the Camerons' case. hmm

Is this the norm amongst the chattering classes. Is this why Tony Blair's boy ended up face down, drunk out of his head, on a London pavement in the small hours?

nanaej Mon 11-Jun-12 08:54:46

grin Humbert

Barrow Mon 11-Jun-12 08:59:40

My Mother was always leaving my brother or me outside shops. Once when I was very small she left me in my pram outside a bakers. When she got home and realised I wasn't with her (actually it was my Father who asked where I was!) she hurried back to the shop to find me inside, still in my pram, happily munching on a bun. The shop assistants, realised what had happened and had taken me in and were looking after me. She often also left my brother outside shops and it is a family joke that she was always trying to get rid of us!

Barrow Mon 11-Jun-12 09:00:24

As the Camerons go everywhere with bodyguards I would have thought one of them might have mentioned they were one missing!

Ariadne Mon 11-Jun-12 09:07:14

They should, like Caesar's wife, be above reproach. Goes with the job. Not that many politicians see it that way!

tanith Mon 11-Jun-12 09:17:31

Sack the bodyguards I say aren't they supposed to do head counts all the time ?

nanaej Mon 11-Jun-12 09:19:35

haha! I left my daughter, 6 weeks old, outside Barclays Bank. I got to the end of my road before I realised I had not got my shopping (on the pram basket!!)& then remembered the most important thing I had left behind! never run so fast before or since!

susiecb Mon 11-Jun-12 09:22:30

So much for the security services!

petallus Mon 11-Jun-12 09:47:43

Good job it wasn't a single mother on benefits who left her child in a pub. Would have given the Daily Mail a field day!

bikergran Mon 11-Jun-12 09:50:29

Jusr what I thought petullus once again...one rule for one and a different one for others.....!

AlisonMA Mon 11-Jun-12 09:56:24

From all the above comments it does sound like they are just like the rest of us! I agree about the security, it was their job to keep an eye on all of them.

nanakate Mon 11-Jun-12 10:20:42

I left my baby daughter in the bank the very first time I took her out! I felt mortified, but when I rushed back, nobody had noticed. I'm shocked tho about the Cams'security. Perhaps they should be in line for an 'efficiency saving'? But at the end of the day, parents are responsible for their own children. Hope Nancy enjoyed her work experience in the pub.

absentgrana Mon 11-Jun-12 10:53:33

Surely the bodyguards are there to guard Mr Cameron, not act as nursemaids, so off he went in a car with them. It wasn't their business to organise transport for the eldest Cameron child and they probably assumed that she would be going in the car with Mrs Cameron, if they thought about it at all.

j04 Mon 11-Jun-12 10:56:55

Agree with absent. Bodyguards are not nursemaids. Parents' job to keep an eye on kids.

Bit basic in any How to Parent course, I would have thought.

dorsetpennt Mon 11-Jun-12 11:17:13

My ex-husband and I were rushing about packing the car for our first holiday after the birth of my first child in 1976. As is usual with first time parents we packed far too much. We left our house and had been on the road for about 15 minutes when we realised we had left our 3 month old baby happily asleep in his cot. By the time we got back - in a muck sweat - he'd been on his own for 30 minutes. It happens and I'm sure loads of other people have done the same. Cameron's daughter is 8 years old so more then capable to tell the staff at the pub she been left. If ordinary people can be distracted and do this what distraction must the P.M. have? I can't stand the man but I think some of the remarks aimed at him by the press is ridiculous.

Annika Mon 11-Jun-12 11:22:49

Not only has Cameron forgotten about his daughter, he has forgotten about the rest of us !

Ella46 Mon 11-Jun-12 11:58:24

Someone said on The Wright Stuff this morning "If he can't look after his own family why doesn't he leave ours alone?" grin

JessM Mon 11-Jun-12 13:35:27

It was an interesting pairing with the new item on problem families wasn't it.
Just remembered my cousin is now on Cameron's bodyguard team - hope he was not in post/not on duty at the time. Perhaps he is replacing the person who was on duty...

Bags Mon 11-Jun-12 14:33:10

I don't think it's DC's bodyguards' job to look after the children. Their job is to make sure some nutter doesn't assassinate the prime minister.

greenmossgiel Mon 11-Jun-12 15:20:21

Some 'nutter' may just have taken away their child as well! What a prize that would be for a kidnapper. hmm