Gransnet forums

News & politics

Great British Bake Off

(8 Posts)
LyndaW Wed 23-Oct-13 13:41:17

I found this article by contestant Ruby Tandoh really difficult to read. I take my hat off to those bakers doing so under immense pressure. Why does the press have to be so awful. Just let them bake for heavens sake!

merlotgran Wed 23-Oct-13 14:38:14

Having read the article I'm now even more convinced that Ruby knew exactly what she was doing throughout the series. I don't think the press has been awful at all. We're not blind. We could see the pouting, the downturned mouth and glances, the shrugging, the tears, the hang-dog expression while waiting for the judges' verdicts.

Ruby comes across as a very self assured and no nonsense character in the article. I read somewhere that she could be the Beeb's next Nigella. She needs to take care she is not the next Sophie Dahl.....all simpering at the camera and no actual talent!

I don't care if anyone thinks I'm being unfair as Ruby irritates the hell out of me!

annodomini Wed 23-Oct-13 15:04:18

What we saw, merlot was what the programme's editors wanted us to see.

thatbags Wed 23-Oct-13 15:43:43

Acting. For entertainment.

thatbags Wed 23-Oct-13 15:45:15

It's a good article. And she's right to slam misogynistic attitudes. 'Female tears' indeed.

Gagagran Wed 23-Oct-13 15:55:59

I agree with you merlot. She irritated all chez-nous too. Glad Frances won.

merlotgran Wed 23-Oct-13 16:16:51

It must have been there in the first place, anno for the editors to be able to use it.

I agree about the female tears, thatbags but tears in general make me want to shout, 'Get a Grip!' at the telly

thatbags Wed 23-Oct-13 17:00:07

I imagine it can be quite stresssful while the programmes are being made. What is aired for public viewing is only a tiny fraction of what is filmed. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes.