Gransnet forums

Local

Money

(7 Posts)
GinnyTonic Tue 19-Mar-13 19:08:23

Do you sometimes feel you are ripped off? Does it make your blood boil?
Parking charges are the Bee in my Bonnet today - I've just paid £9 for 3 hours. That equates to £72 a day, £500 a week, over £2000 a month - I could rent a very nice place for that!

YaYaJen Wed 20-Mar-13 13:25:39

Daylight robbery indeed but on top of that they make up their own kafkaesue rules you know nothing about then fine you huge amounts and if you do not or cannot pay clamp then nick your car!

YaYaJen Wed 20-Mar-13 13:28:36

The AA listed some of the worst cases of clamping:

● Clampers threaten to take a three-year-old girl hostage unless her mother paid the clamp ransom in Doncaster

● A hearse clamped with a body in the back on the way to a funeral

● Clampers demanded a gold tooth from a woman in lieu of payment

● Teenager left stranded overnight in Birmingham after a clamper demanded £300 for overstaying her ticket by 10 minutes after a concert;

● Marked police car clamped, with the clamper ending up with an Anti-Social Behaviour Order;

● AA patrol charged an extortionate £1,180 while fixing a woman's car.

Mr King said: "We are delighted cowboy clampers will have to hang up their clamps. The outright ban on wheel clamping on private land is a victory for justice and common sense.

"Too many clampers have been acting like modern-day highwaymen.We have noticed some of them are cashing in before they are finally outlawed so we advise drivers to be vigilant."

Read more: www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Private-car-park-clamp-cowboys-getting-boot/story-16988206-detail/story.html#ixzz2O5Pcn9fp
Follow us: @thisisglos on Twitter | thisisgloucestershire on Facebookhttp://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Private-car-park-clamp-cowboys-getting-boot/story-16988206-detail/story.html#axzz2O5PO3bSH

GinnyTonic Wed 20-Mar-13 15:51:02

You really couldn't make this up. Ive never heard a good comment about clamping angry

Sandygran Sun 07-Apr-13 20:42:03

I live in a tourist resort that survives on tourism but every year the council increases parking charges. I recently went to an inland small town and was so surprised to be able to park for 30p that I stopped longer than the quick look around I anticipated. I had lunch and did some shopping so the local economy benefited in a small way. My home town should follow suit.

Wayfinder Sun 07-Apr-13 23:16:31

I also live in a tourist resort Sandygran (South Coast) and all the car parks are run by the NCP who really are thieving whatsits.
There is a debate at the moment about the Council taking back control of the car parks in order to make them more affordable. I guess time will tell if they actually do. Hmmm.

Fletchmum Sun 14-Apr-13 17:25:50

I live in a seaside town and our local council set the parking. The local Chamber of Trade wanted the council to do a "free after 3" for people parking on the street in the town centre. No dice. I do think they are missing a trick, but councils seem to be so strapped for cash they are trying everything to rake in the ££s, even though it appears to us mere mortals as counter productive.