Gransnet forums

Local

North Yorks Grans Meet-up

(19 Posts)
YaYaJen Thu 04-Apr-13 15:51:00

I am hoping to get the ball rolling for a local Gransnet meet-up towards the end of April, likely venue to be near Northallerton, on the menu coffee, cake and chat!

Just post below if you are interested and any preferences. Looking forward to meeting you all.

glassortwo Thu 04-Apr-13 16:06:03

Hi YaYa I am up in Newcastle but would like to join you for your coffee and chat, if I can fit it in around school pick ups, so make me a maybe until you all decide on a date/time.

MaureenM Thu 04-Apr-13 22:35:41

I may be able to join you, as I only live half an hour away from Northallerton.

YaYaJen Fri 05-Apr-13 08:29:22

Hi glassortwo and MaureenM,

thanks for posting, grandparenting can be absolutely amazing but also a balancing act, I am sure we have loads to chat about.

Of course, if you know anyone else who may be interested point them this way. I am considering the Village Inn, Brompton and am going to chat with the manager about maybe their yummy home made desserts? I am quite keen on their merlot too!

Looking forward to seeing you smile

absent Fri 05-Apr-13 10:13:53

I live in Darlington so not far from North Allerton. I shall be leaving the area in early May but it would be fun to meet up with some more local grannies first. Some of us in the North-east see each other fairly often anyway.

I don't know where Brompton is but can look it up on a map. However, I don't drive so if public transport is going to be a tricky, then I shall not be able to come.

Finally, you may not be aware but a gathering of North-east (and Scottish) grannies is in train for 20 April (a Saturday) so it would be a shame if the two meet-ups clashed.

YaYaJen Fri 05-Apr-13 10:25:52

Hi absent,

Brompton is just outside Northallerton, if more convenient we could change the venue to somewhere nearer the train station but it is only a couple of minutes drive and we could maybe arrange lifts.

Thanks for letting me know about the NE meet up, may well go - I am looking at the week after ideally 25th or 26th, hope that suits x

moomin Fri 05-Apr-13 11:19:38

Hi YaYa - I would be interested in coming down to Northallerton - used to live in Little Danby many years ago, so know it well. However, I am now up in Northumberland and driving to Brompton is quite a distance for me.

If you decide on an alternative rendezvous actually in Northallerton, then I could come down by train (I expect glass and absent would find that convenient also)

YaYaJen Mon 08-Apr-13 22:04:58

There is a pub right next to the train station if that would suit better, town center is good 10 mins walk...

moomin Thu 11-Apr-13 14:27:34

I could probably do Friday 26th, walking 10 mins into town from the station would be no problem for me.

YaYaJen Thu 11-Apr-13 17:10:22

Shall we keep it at The Station next to the train station for lunchtime, I love to keep things simple if possible, be great to meet you Moomin.

NanaNel Fri 12-Apr-13 12:43:46

Hello everybody. I'm near York. Northallerton would not be a problem but April is. Really busy at work this month. Maybe next time. Enjoy yourselves.

MaureenM Fri 12-Apr-13 21:33:23

Is there parking near there? I have usually been to Northallerton for the hospital or shopping only.

YaYaJen Sat 13-Apr-13 09:48:34

Hi Nananel and Maureen,

hopefully meet-ups will be a regular event Nananel - will keep details updated.

Maureen - there are a few parking spaces just at the side of the pub

#excited

YaYaJen Mon 22-Apr-13 11:18:40

Hi everybody,

I am still leaning towards the Village Inn as I know the food and wine is of great quality. The Village Inn is only 5 minutes by car from the train station and I can ferry before lunch if everyone agrees then share taxis back (or bus)

They change the set menu every week and the current one makes for hungry reading...everything made on the premises

LUNCH MENU

STARTERS

Soup of the Day, with Mini Loaf

Brie & Wild Mushroom Fritters, with Red Onion & Spinach Salad

Smoked Salmon & Beetroot, with Vodka Crème Fraiche

BBQ Chicken Wings, with Tomato Relish Dressing

See Black Board for Today’s special starter…

MAIN COURSE

Lamb & Mint Meatballs, with Tomato Sauce & Tagliatelle

Chicken Breast, Marinated in Honey & Paprika, Creamy Chorizo Mash Potato & Jus

Tomato & Mozzarella Risotto Cakes, with Mixed Salad

Linguine, with Chilli, Crab & Spring Onion

10oz, 28 Day Hung Grand Reserved Sirloin Steak, served with Fat Cut chips, grilled tomato, rocket salad and a choice of pepper, Diane sauce or tarragon butter (£8 supplement).

10oz, 28 Day Hung Grand Reserved Ribeye Steak, served with Fat Cut chips, grilled tomato, rocket salad and a choice of pepper, Diane sauce or tarragon butter (£8 supplement).

See Black board for Today’s special Main course….

TWO COURSE - £7.95

THREE COURSE - £9.95

DESSERTS

Profiteroles, filled with Chantilly Cream, Coated in Butterscotch Sauce

Vanilla Pod Cheesecake, with a Strawberry & Pimms Jelly & Strawberry Mint Compote

Warm Raspberry & Double Chocolate Brownie with Chocolate Sauce

Sticky Toffee Pudding, with Butterscotch Sauce & Vanilla Ice Cream

Mint Crème Brulee, with Chocolate Chip Biscotti Biscuit

Ice Cream

Cheese Board, Selection of 4 Cheeses, Chutney, Grapes & Biscuits - £1.50 Supplement

let me know what you think and I will book us in where the majority prefer.

MaureenM Mon 22-Apr-13 23:04:05

I have had to pass my apologies on, as I am now going to the Lake District this weekend. I will happily meet at a future date and hope that those who can have an enjoyable get together.
Disappointed.

YaYaJen Tue 23-Apr-13 10:39:03

Love the Lake District Maureen, have a lovely time.

Set menu for lunch with 5 or more choices for each course, 2 courses £7.95, 3 courses £9.95

Meet-up time 12 noon to eat at 12.30

5 mins outside Northallerton, driving directions here

www.villageinnnorthallerton.co.uk/contact/

Will book Weds so please let me know if you are coming smile

YaYaJen Tue 23-Apr-13 10:52:06

The Village Inn
88 Water End
Brompton
Northallerton
DL6 2RL

Tel: 01609 771 040

YaYaJen Sat 27-Apr-13 20:45:27

Pics from yesterday https://www.facebook.com/GransnetNorthYorkshire/photos_stream

YaYaJen Tue 30-Apr-13 14:26:01

https://www.facebook.com/GransnetNorthYorkshire/photos_stream