Gransnet forums

Local

Do you enjoy reading

(14 Posts)
scottydownsouth Thu 27-Jun-13 17:32:13

Hi peasantfarmer. I started the book again and am so glad I did, sometimes when I read before going to bed I think I have taken it all in but that wasn't the case with this book. Anyway, I am familiar with the characters now. I think I am going to enjoy it.

peasantfarmer Tue 25-Jun-13 19:49:40

Do hope you enjoy it scottydownsouth have finished Instructions for a Heatwave really enjoyed it very good storyline, now reading George Orwell The Road to Wigan Pier very different but fascinating look at Social History.

scottydownsouth Mon 24-Jun-13 22:45:02

I have just read the first few chapters of the distance between us. I am going to start it again tomorrow as there are a lot of characters being introduced and I think the relationships between them is going to be important.

peasantfarmer Wed 19-Jun-13 21:41:24

Over half way through Instructions For A Heatwave hasn't disappointed so far!

scottydownsouth Wed 19-Jun-13 21:17:10

Finished and really enjoyed it

scottydownsouth Tue 18-Jun-13 13:56:57

I'm close to the end of 'The boy who fell to earth' and I was wrong, her wit doesn't detract from the storyline. Really enjoying it

peasantfarmer Sat 15-Jun-13 22:18:33

Mostly planes Exeter to Manchester/ Manchester to Aberdeen then ferry to Lerwick going with small group meeting up at Aberdeen. Never been that far north either fancied Orkney but even more complicated to get to.

scottydownsouth Sat 15-Jun-13 21:23:15

I'm originally from Stirling but have never been that far north. Oh I do hope the weather will be good for you, but like you say it is not all that different to here just a few degrees colder. Quite a journey to undertake on your own. Trains, planes and automobiles?

peasantfarmer Sat 15-Jun-13 20:07:23

Yeah mine too ironing doesn't get on the radar cleaning is a fact of life.

Going to Shetland solo in July excited and terrified ! think the weather will be similar to Cornwall at the moment.

scottydownsouth Sat 15-Jun-13 19:55:40

My reading list is expanding, something is going to have to give ...... Cleaning or ironing.
Have a great holiday, going somewhere nice?

peasantfarmer Sat 15-Jun-13 18:37:45

I have read all previous Maggie O'Farrell books would with out a doubt re read The Distance Between Us and After You've Gone. Picked up Justine Picardie's Daphne at St Ives Oxfam shop yesterday to read on holiday next month. Only read magazine articles by Kathy Lette so will try her books .

scottydownsouth Sat 15-Jun-13 16:41:03

Ive just read a snippet of 'This Boy' peasantfarmer and it does sound like a good read, with good old fashioned family values instilled in him at an early age.

I started 'The boy who fell to earth' a few days ago and am enjoying it, she is so witty but I think that may detract from the main storyline. I may be wrong ................ read on

It will be interesting what you make of 'Instructions For A Heatwave'. I haven't read any of her books but just had a look on Amazon and there are mixed reviews.

peasantfarmer Wed 12-Jun-13 21:29:06

Have just finished This Boy by Alan Johnson about to start [workload permitting ] latest Maggie O'Farrell Instructions For A Heatwave.

scottydownsouth Mon 10-Jun-13 14:52:43

I seem to go through phases reading a few by the same author then change to a different genre. I have read quite a few Jodie Pecoult books and Stephen Leather and at the moment I am reading Beyond Evil by Neil White. I have Kathy Lette's book The Boy Who Fell to Earth downloaded ready to start.
What are you reading at the moment?