Gransnet forums

Local

Would you dress like this?

(10 Posts)
Wallygrom Thu 12-Sep-13 17:43:13

A 76-year-old grandmother from Bath is featuring in a new Channel 4 documentary looking at older people with a flair for fashion. Jean Woods, who lives in Larkhall, is one of six women to star in Fabulous Fashionistas, which is being shown on Tuesday.Mrs Woods, whose favourite shops include Topshop and Urban Outfitters, said her fashion sense had been liberated and strengthened as she got older, and she was now much braver in her style choices.

She said: “I have always been interested in fashion, but more so as I have got older. “Perhaps when you get older you know what suits you. Also, I like to dress as I want to dress. When I put something on, I don’t think ‘will anybody think I look good?’, I just think in my own mind whether I look good. I don’t really think about other people.”Her four grandchildren, who are all in their teens, are among her biggest fans, with one sharing her love of Dr Martens boots. Have a look here and let us know if you would be prepared to dress like this and have your own unique style like Jean! www.bathchronicle.co.uk/8217-m-Jean-8217-m-76-8217-ll-dress-want/story-19785367-detail/story.html

scottydownsouth Thu 17-Oct-13 11:52:44

I don't think I would get away with Jean's look. It's all about feeling comfortable and Dr Marten boots on my skinny little legs would be laughable.

Your day to day life influences the way you dress as much as anything, I shop in Topshop, Next, New Look etc and think I know what suits me. Saying that Trinny and Susanna would probably disagree.

Wallygrom Sat 19-Oct-13 09:13:07

I am I believe what is commonly know as apple shape and couldnt get away with many of the things worn nowadays by many....I could do with Trinny and Susanna or better still Gok to give me a makeover and advice as I wear black and other dark colours just to hide into the background.....lets get GOK on board with Gransnet !! :-)

Pittcity Sat 19-Oct-13 10:22:18

I seem to have loads of the same thing in my wardrobe... in the summer Maxi dresses or linen trousers and t shirts, this winter shirts, jumpers and jeans. I have weaned myself off baggy tunics over leggings which were comfortable but made me look like a sack of potatoes.

Oldgreymare Sat 19-Oct-13 10:26:47

Yes I would, given the time/money to source/adapt similar clothes! When I saw Jean in Bath recently she looked amazing but not one item looked to have been bought anywhere other than in an expensive boutique.
I'm off to a Vintage Fair in Frome soon to see what I can find/afford!!!!

Wallygrom Sun 20-Oct-13 15:33:01

Perhaps my new year resolution ought to be to reconsider my clothing - perhaps purchase one new item per month that is not black/dark! Hopefully with the obligatory new year diet, a change in wardrobe might be in order anyway! ;-)

AnnB Sun 20-Oct-13 20:55:29

Jean looks fabulous, our very own Vivienne Westwood!!! I take Vogue (luxury!!) which gives me lots of ideas. Recently several articles on 'Dig out your......' from the past which are worth looking at. After a hip replacement I'm better off in flat shoes so I think I should give Doc Marten's a try! I agree with wallygrom about buying something colourful!!

AyjayF Sat 26-Oct-13 23:12:04

I think she looks fabulous. I've seen her quite a few times around town and we've chatted about clothes and shoes. I've never had Doc Martens. Are they comfortable or heavy? I always wear flat shoes so I'd be happy to give them a try. Think I'd like the bright designs though. Mastershoe on Walcot Street used to stock them. Haven't been there for ages. Dies Antone know if there selection is still good?

AyjayF Sun 27-Oct-13 14:05:19

Should have checked my message. Meant does anyone know if their selection is still good?

Wallygrom Sat 09-Nov-13 09:05:44

I havent been in there for ages so not sure about their selection but there are plenty of places on the internet that you can get them or try Schuh in Stall Street - they usually have a fab range!